Ashley Young: Redux

ramshackler

12 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

Makes absolutely no sense.

There’s pages of reasons here as to why it does. I’m not fond of the bloke either, but it fixes a number of short term issues  and is convenient for Aston Villa right now. That’s good enough. 

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

I think people got waaaaay too hung up on what Purslow said our strategy was re: recruitment the season we came up. Having a general rule doesn't mean we can't occasionally deviate from it when necessary. Signings like this are more realistic and make more sense alongside your Buendias or whoever else will come in rather than A) trying to somehow manage to fill every gap in the squad with coveted young players in one window or B ) cutting off your nose to spite your face and not taking advantage of short-term fixes like Young because they don't fit your own self-imposed "model", and leaving areas of the squad unbalanced in the process.

You could say our agenda has change as well though too, I'd say we are well ahead of the boards hopes and as in any business they are adapting fast. Great times.

• Like 2

• VT Supporter
1 minute ago, Indigo said:

I think people got waaaaay too hung up on what Purslow said our strategy was re: recruitment the season we came up. Having a general rule doesn't mean we can't occasionally deviate from it when necessary. Signings like this are more realistic and make more sense alongside your Buendias or whoever else will come in rather than A) trying to somehow manage to fill every gap in the squad with coveted young players in one window or B ) cutting off your nose to spite your face and not taking advantage of short-term fixes like Young because they don't fit your own self-imposed "model", and leaving areas of the squad unbalanced in the process.

Exactly. 

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

It makes sense but given everything we’ve seen and heard from the club over the last two years I think its justified people being surprised. I’m shocked.

I think surprised may have been the wrong choice of word on my end, disappointed was what I was getting at. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

There’s pages of reasons here as to why it does. I’m not fond of the bloke either, but it fixes a number of short term issues  and is convenient for Aston Villa right now. That’s good enough. 

Fundamentally I don’t think he’s good enough to play Premier League football anymore. Sorry. 

• Like 1

• VT Supporter
4 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Whilst that's all true, it doesn't mean signing Young is the right move.

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The irony is, this is a player who probably deserves a " Bring him home " or " Welcome back " more than the likes of Tammy/Benteke who people fantasise about IMO.

Yes the latter played a huge part in bringing us up/keeping us up respectively. But Young brings me back to a more recent patch of joy and relative success in our history.

Unfinished business, time for him to now help us push into the place we were meant to, with him the first time round.

Absolutely 100%. Tammy was one season and not really ours. I have absolutely no nostalgia for the Lambert era, no matter how awesome Benteke was.

However there is so much nostalgia for Ashley Young's era. My favourite few seasons in my lifetime and probably top 3 players from that era with Carew and Laursen. Would be buzzing to see him back. I'm not one for getting names on shirts however I may even break the habit of a lifetime for Young.

Edited by Okonokos
  • Like 1

Just now, Supervillan78 said:

Fundamentally I don’t think he’s good enough to play Premier League football anymore. Sorry. 

You may be right (we’ll see) but he was still doing a job for Inter a few weeks ago. As long as Targett and Cash stay fit we shouldn’t need to find out! 

Depending on how it goes this season, they might look again at both FB positions next summer. This at least let’s us focus the budget on where we need it now - midfield. 

33 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I am warming up to the idea tbh. I mean Conte is notorious for his high standards, if he thought Ashley young was good enough to win Seria A then he is good enough to be a rotation player for a mid table (hopefully higher) pl side.

Conte doesn't have any passengers. Every player has to earn his place. You'd have to be in superb condition to play in his team at the age of 35.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I'm pleased with this. Young and Guilbert as backup to Targett and Cash sounds pretty good to me. 

I'm think young as back up to Targett and Jack but I'm not sure if young has played that far up in years 

I will say this, watched him for Inter a few times last season and was still quite impressed by Young. Fair enough didn't watch him week in week out but I can understand the reasoning for going with this one as a backup. Still looked lively and his delivery was solid, plus he'll probably be a cheaper deal. 

On a personal note I have fond memories of Young at Villa, so it seems fitting in a way.

Edited by MachoFantastico

4 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

So, is he any good? Has anyone ever watched him play?

Interesting question.

I wonder if the Villa scouting team keeps tabs on great players nearing the end of their careers, looking for a bargain.  This of course assuming Villa has any interest in Ashley and other players of similar quality?

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â