Ashley Young: Redux

ramshackler

17 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Can cover Targett, Jack and even Cash. It potentially replaces Taylor and Elmo in one go and gives cover for Jack and better set pieces.

Exactly - don't see why people are surprised by it tbh, I think it makes a lot of sense.

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Exactly - don't see why people are surprised by it tbh, I think it makes a lot of sense.

It makes sense but given everything we’ve seen and heard from the club over the last two years I think its justified people being surprised. I’m shocked.

• Like 4

tbh i think it might be a reasonable deal.

He can play left or right back, left or right wing back, and possibly even left/right midfield and wing at a push with his older legs?

Tbh if its a free transfer, a 1 year deal with a club option for another year, to offer quite a bit of utility in various positions, i dont see a negative?, especially as it might mean we have more money to spend in midfield and up front on the type of youngish upcoming players we want to actually invest good money in,  by spending no transfer fee on Young who really can cover for Targett, Cash (& Guilbert), on either wing if needed as backup to Jack, Traore, Ghazi and Buendia as required, and can play in cup games etc to help with squad rotation wherever needed.

I just dont see a major issue with it, i think it might actually be a good short term signing to allow us to spend more elsewhere.

7 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It makes sense but given everything we’ve seen and heard from the club over the last two years I think its justified people being surprised. I’m shocked.

true but if signing one older utility player on a short term deal, allows us to spend more on key positions with up and coming talent.......it kinda makes sense to me.

Im happy with our defence generally (more money needed in midfield & up front), so if you say to me i can have 15m for a new LB and 25m for a new midfielder, or a short term free transfer for a utility player who can play LB, RB, LW, RW and 40m on a key player, i would choose the second option currently (for where we are now and what we need)

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

Looks like he could be back at Villa. Have to admit never expected that. Of all the players that left around the time, he would’ve been the last I’d say would return. Completely different these days though. 
If wages aren’t high, think it’s a good move. Obviously has great experience. Knows the club. Better than Elmo and Neil Taylor, yet can replace both as back up full backs. Give us some old head around the place with Heaton and the two mentioned before leaving

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

true but if signing one older utility player for a short term deal, allows us to spend more on key positions with up and coming talent.......it kinda makes sense to me.

I said it made sense 

26 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Can cover Targett, Jack and even Cash. It potentially replaces Taylor and Elmo in one go and gives cover for Jack and better set pieces.

And Traore when he goes off to Africa in Jan. 

• Like 1

• VT Supporter
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

He's fine as cover. But ideally you don't want your cover to ever have to play very much (case in point Elmo this season, he was a disaster really). This is another example of that for me.

Ashley is 2 years older than Ahmed. I don't particularly relish the idea of a 35-year-old coming on to cover Jack Grealish.... never mind our full-backs.

Edited by est1874

• VT Supporter
Posted (edited)

Ashley "no disrespect to Villa but when Man United called, I was off like a shot"  Young really isnt someone I have fond thoughts for. 

Decent player n his day but this does not get me nostalgic. He didn't leave well imho. If we want to go down this route of good senior players about the place then give Elmo another season, he is a known positive quantity. Ashley Young was a negative last time he was here. For me anyways, obviously if he comes I will support him. but a very unfortunate signing if true :(

I did watch him play a bit in last seasons Serie A. He was pretty good to be fair but Ashley Young up against the murderers row of world class wingers in the premier league scares the crap outta me.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, est1874 said:

He's fine as cover. But ideally you don't want your cover to ever have to play very much (case in point Elmo this season, he was a disaster really). This is another example of that for me.

Ashley is 2 years older than Ahmed. I don't particularly relish the idea of a 35-year-old coming on to cover Jack Grealish.... never mind our full-backs.

He played 26 times last season for the ItIan champions, while your point is valid he is an upgrade on Taylor and Elmo.

• Like 2

• VT Supporter

I am warming up to the idea tbh. I mean Conte is notorious for his high standards, if he thought Ashley young was good enough to win Seria A then he is good enough to be a rotation player for a mid table (hopefully higher) pl side.

21 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Ashley "no disrespect to Villa but when Man United called, I was off like a shot"  Young really isnt someone I have fond thoughts for. 

Decent player n his day but this does not get me nostalgic. He didn't leave well imho. If we want to go down this route of good senior players about the place then give Elmo another season, he is a known positive quantity. Ashley Young was a negative last time he was here. For me anyways, obviously if he comes I will support him. but a very unfortunate signing if true :(

I did watch him play a bit in last seasons Serie A. He was pretty good to be fair but Ashley Young up against the murderers row of world class wingers in the premier league scares the crap outta me.

He left much better than Downing did. Nothing wrong with they way he left, and he was absolutely justified. He won the league soon after, and we became relegation fodder and eventually relegated. He gave us many years of great service, even stayed and got his head down during 2010/11 when Milner and MON already left and other players were downing tools.

• Like 1

• VT Supporter
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He left much better than Downing did. Nothing wrong with they way he left, and he was absolutely justified. He won the league soon after, and we became relegation fodder and eventually relegated. He gave us many years of great service, even stayed and got his head down during 2010/11 when Milner and MON already left and other players were downing tools.

I will thank you never to mention that mans name again :)

But yeah fair point, Young just rubbed me the wrong way he didnt take a slash all over the club as he left.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

• limpid changed the title to Ashley Young: Redux

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â