Ashley Young: Redux

ramshackler

If Percy says it's happening, it's happening. Clever signing for us, but still a bit bemused as to what Young feels he's getting out of it. He surely won't start many games? Is he being given an opportunity to join the coaching staff post-retirement?

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

If Percy says it's happening, it's happening. Clever signing for us, but still a bit bemused as to what Young feels he's getting out of it. He surely won't start many games? Is he being given an opportunity to join the coaching staff post-retirement?

Might be as simple as him wanting a few more years of decent money and he doesn't want to live in Burnley?

• Like 1

I mean yes, if the options are only Villa or Burnley then it makes sense. But I imagine there's quite a few places he could go, and I doubt he's struggling for cash. Just interested in what he's been promised in terms of long-term opportunity - my guess is a chance to get involved with coaching.

27 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Played his best football for us though.  He was absolute fire that 08/09 season.

He became progressively more defensive as his career went on. He started as a forward at Watford, a winger at us, and ended up as a left back for England, Man U and Inter Milan.

In the 20 odd years I have regularly watched Villa he was the best crosser of the ball I have seen.

5 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Might be as simple as him wanting a few more years of decent money and he doesn't want to live in Burnley?

I presume he must still have  a very nice house in Cheshire and just drive in for the training and matches?

• VT Supporter

Really strange one.

Ash is pretty close to the bottom of my "Former Villans I'd have liked to see finish their careers here" list. I guess we're finding the LB area harder to fill than we thought we might...

• Confused 1

Just now, TrentVilla said:

Someone tell Gabby to gets his boots we are getting the gang back together...

Never saw this coming but makes a lot of sense I guess, big shock though.

I'd take Milner back for a year or two if they're putting the gang back together!

17 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Why *wouldn’t* he want to be a part of the set up here? Even if he’s only starting a dozen games, helping bring along the younger lads, being given an opportunity like JT to kick start your coaching career at a club you know is **** massive and where there’s little to no settling in period? 

16 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I presume he must still have  a very nice house in Cheshire and just drive in for the training and matches?

Probably has one in Four Oaks as well so many ex Villa players seem to keep them

6 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Really strange one.

Ash is pretty close to the bottom of my "Former Villans I'd have liked to see finish their careers here" list. I guess we're finding the LB area harder to fill than we thought we might...

Can cover Targett, Jack and even Cash. It potentially replaces Taylor and Elmo in one go and gives cover for Jack and better set pieces.

• Like 1

• VT Supporter
56 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

I agree on the wages, but they'd have to be astronimical to put us off, especially if it's a 1 year deal, when you factor in how much more expensive it would be to sign any other left back cover on lower wages if they weren't on a free. The transfer fees alone would almost always make Youngs wages a more attractive proposition.

Plus we seem to be sensibly ran now so I doubt our owners would put him on dispropirationate wages to those he'd be in competition with, or behind in the pecking order.

He’s not a left back though is he? 

I know he’s not the flying winger he used to be but is he actually any good at full back? 

Not particularly happy about this as I can’t stand him and will never forgive him for diving against us to win a penalty. Don’t begrudge his original move to Man Utd (who could) but just don’t like him.

That being said, emotion aside, it does make sense as a back up and some senior experience around the club. He’s kinda done it all. 

• limpid changed the title to Ashley Young: Redux

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â