Ashley Young

maqroll

5 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Hes signed then, oh well. Whilst I'm not that excited about it, I'm probably not as far gone as some. 

I just thought we'd moved on from ageing relics

All teams need experienced players. Before this signing our oldest players were Hourihane (30), Martinez (28), Steer (28), Mings (28). Everyone else is 27 or under. We needed that bit of extra experience on board. This is absolutely nothing like the days of Joe Cole, Keiron Richardson, Joleon Lescott and Phillippe Senderos.

Edited by Okonokos
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Yeah, it was before the days that ‘initiating contact’ was commonplace.  I remember thinking it was the worst dive ever at the time.  Watching it back now that gets given as a pen by VAR every time.

He was definitely a pioneer of the technique. Nobody did it like him.

My only real concern is how this will affect team chemistry. He will have to be content warming the bench regularly if that's what is called for. Hopefully Smith doesn't try to crowbar in playing time at the expense of younger players development. 

1 minute ago, Okonokos said:

All teams need experienced players. Before this signing our oldest players were Hourihane (30), Martinez (28), Steer (28), Mings (28). Everyone else is 27 or under. We needed that bit of extra experience on board. This is absolutely nothing like the days of Joe Cole, Keiron Richardson, Joleon Lescott and Phillippe Senderos.

You've forgot that French bloke whose name escapes me. 

Like I said, experience aside it just doesn't get me going. It is only one year though so I won't let it ruin what is a very exciting time for Villa

9 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Will this thread be merged with the old Ashley Young thread? I feel it needs to be so we can see 10 years later… 

Seasoned utility player with Prem experience on a free transfer. I'm assuming Terry had input on this as too.

6 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Like I said, experience aside it just doesn't get me going. It is only one year though so I won't let it ruin what is a very exciting time for Villa

Sanson? He's 27.

Guilbert is 26.

6 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Thought exercise for the jilted lovers people airing their legitimate gripes;

• Your team currently has only 2 senior full-backs, having released 2 of the squad's "older heads" in said position (the left-sided of which was - regardless of age - arguably not good enough for the club's current level).
  • Your squad is the youngest on average in the league.
  • One of your left-sided senior wingers is currently injured for an undetermined (but estimated to be lengthy) spell which required surgery.
  • You have the opportunity to sign a player whom;
    • knows the club, having enjoyed a highly successful previous stint.
    • has a wealth of experience competing at the highest levels of club competition, having won (amongst others); the domestic league, both domestic trophies and a European trophy.
    • provides cover down the entirety of the left-flank.
    • represents a threat from dead-ball scenarios not currently present in the squad (save for one player who is less likely to make the starting line-up and may ultimately be sold).
    • demonstrably still has something to offer, having just won Serie A.
    • is available on a free transfer.

Ask yourself; would this be a good signing?  If it's not Ashley Young, if that dive wasn't part of this equation at all, would this be a good signing?

I can't really disagree with any of this, in my defence I've never mentioned his dive. Diving when he played for Villa used to annoy me more.

In the end, this is a forum for opinions and like arse holes we all have one (unless you have a colostomy bag). Whilst I don't agree with his signing he will have my support whilst he wears the shirt.

1 minute ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I meant the old git we had years ago, old French bloke I think Houlier signed

Robert Pires? Come on, he was bad for us but to remember that much about him but not his name when he's one of the best players the Prem has had is a bit of a stretch

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Ah yeah, Pires. Sorry thought you meant currently in our squad. Been a long day...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

for opinions and like arse holes

Yes like opinions are like arseholes, but opinions unlike arseholes should be taken out and examined. Apologies to Tim Minchin

Â