Ashley Young

maqroll

8 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Wants to play week in week out. I hope management told him that probably won't happen. Maybe off the bench but doesn't sound like he wants that.

I hope that isn't what he wants and having listened to his interview he has plenty of hunger and desire and definitely wants to be starting games. If he isn't then one thing is for sure that hunger and desire will mean he is pushing those who get in the team before him to their limits which can only be good for us.

Playing wingback is arguably one of the toughest positions you can play in terms of needing to be fit and get up and down the pitch. Playing in that position for a manager like Conte for the last 18 months, who demands high standards, is even more impressive.

I wouldn't get too focused on his age. He is clearly super fit. Fernandinho was playing regularly for Man City last season at 36, Ronaldo is 6 months older than Young, another of our ex players in Gareth Barry was starting week in week out for Everton at 36. 

He will fill in the gaps as he is so waffly versatile. He is someone who had to practically reinvent his career in his 30s to play at left back to stay at United. It worked out so well he got a contract extension and was recalled for England in 2018 when we got to the semi finals.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Having given it more thought I can see other benefits beyond his experience, set pieces, fitness, and winning mentality. We are a side that dropped the most points from winning position last season, and he's not coming to sit on the bench, he will push Cash and Targett to keep progressing. For a young squad, to have someone who has been as consistent and experienced as Young at all levels, can help a close knit bunch of players be less intimidated and be that cool head pushing the lads on to get another goal.

12 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Crazy that Gabby was finished as a top level footballer like 4 years ago, and Ash is still going strong today, and he's a year older than Gabby too!

Wouldn't say crazy as much as it is blatantly obvious that Young is on a different level to Agbonlahor when it comes to appetite for work and attitude. You don't get the longevity he has had and still play at this level if you are doing things right some of the time. He's an all in pro. Wasn't mad about the signing but gives depth to the squad.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

Some people would pay good money to have a bird shit in their mouth.

image.png.27d3b975a37b7c87737272446a344976.png

One bird 2 cups

Edited by sidcow

I don’t know what to think about this one,  very leftfield and totally didn’t see it coming.

I’m not averse to it nor am I thrilled about it. I loved him when he was here previously, gave me some of my favourite moments as a fan as his spell coincided with the years I frequented VP the most.

Skinning the Chelsea full back on the halfway line (Bosingwa I think) and drilling it across goal for Gabby to get a touch on it and in, the first of his two goals in the 5-1 demolition of SHA, the winning goal against Everton away late on and immediately after Lescott gave it the big’un, so it’s easy to look at this nostalgically but I think the reality is that Young is a very different player now surely? 

Perhaps I’m wrong, can’t say I’ve watched any of Inter’s games this season, but at 36 next month and having reinvented himself as a wing-back I’m not sure he’s going to be pulling up trees this time around.

Out of interest, when was the last time we re-signed a player? I can’t think of anyone since Gordon Cowans but surely must have been one since then?!

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I don’t know what to think about this one,  very leftfield and totally didn’t see it coming.

I’m not averse to it nor am I thrilled about it. I loved him when he was here previously, gave me some of my favourite moments as a fan as his spell coincided with the years I frequented VP the most.

Skinning the Chelsea full back on the halfway line (Bosingwa I think) and drilling it across goal for Gabby to get a touch on it and in, the first of his two goals in the 5-1 demolition of SHA, the winning goal against Everton away late on and immediately after Lescott gave it the big’un, so it’s easy to look at this nostalgically but I think the reality is that Young is a very different player now surely? 

Perhaps I’m wrong, can’t say I’ve watched any of Inter’s games this season, but at 36 next month and having reinvented himself as a wing-back I’m not sure he’s going to be pulling up trees this time around.

Out of interest, when was the last time we re-signed a player? I can’t think of anyone since Gordon Cowans but surely must have been one since then?!

Steve Staunton? He played for us and Liverpool-twice!

Johnstone and Tuanzebe technically went back to United and then we re-loaned them.

Most players since who have left us we couldn't afford to take back, or we wouldn't want them back.

Edited by The Fun Factory

42 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's proper symbolic too. Left right before the beginning of the end is coming back when we're back properly challenging again. Like we're doing it right this time.

Fair weather fanny merchant more like.

On a serious note, it feels good to have him back. Was brilliant in his first spell, a model pro, and one of the early pioneers in the act of getting your knob out on Zoom calls - years before it became a global phenomenon during the Covid pandemic.

• Haha 2

Â