Ashley Young

maqroll

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Do we even have a first team squad member who is over 30?

He brings multiple title winning mentality, vast experience and can cover 4 positions. 

No. Brainer. 

(I accept that he's a penis)

Rhyming Leonardo Dicaprio GIF

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I love Trez, but given that he'd been relegated to impact sub, I think I'd actually prefer Ash in that role. His crossing ability still hasn't left him, and I imagine he's still about as adept at beating a defender as Trez is.

Well I suppose that’s some consolation, he will be better than Trez… but most players are.

Will he have the legs and energy? Can he still compete in this league?

Don’t like to see us signing old players, we have enough experience at the club. But if it’s just for a year to full out the squad then…. ok…

Hopefully, he won’t be needed much…

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I love Trez, but given that he'd been relegated to impact sub, I think I'd actually prefer Ash in that role. His crossing ability still hasn't left him, and I imagine he's still about as adept at beating a defender as Trez is.

Also he can come on as a replacement for say Bert on the wing and be more defensive

• Like 1

Just now, Jas10 said:

Well I suppose that’s some consolation, he will be better than Trez… but most players are.

Will he have the legs and energy? Can he still compete in this league?

Don’t like to see us signing old players, we have enough experience at the club. But if it’s just for a year to full out the squad then…. ok…

Hopefully, he won’t be needed much…

I think that's exactly what he'll be. 

We actually lost a lot of experience this summer. Our oldest outfield players are Mings and Martinez? Who given their age actually are pretty inexperienced at the top level.

Young is an upgrade on both Taylor and Elmo and I'm fairly certain will be on lower wages than those 2 (combined). Sounds like a net positive to me on the footballing front, experience front (with respect to Taylor and Elmo, their experience pales in comparison to Young's) and even the financial front.

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Was that meant to impress? 🤣 Probably the worst player vid I’ve ever seen!

Other than his goal he looked totally ineffective there!

So his crossing ability, tackles and assists didn't mean anything?

What were you expecting? Buendia levels of entertainment or something?

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think that's exactly what he'll be. 

We actually lost a lot of experience this summer. Our oldest outfield players are Mings and Martinez? Who given their age actually are pretty inexperienced at the top level.

Young is an upgrade on both Taylor and Elmo and I'm fairly certain will be on lower wages than those 2 (combined). Sounds like a net positive to me on the footballing front, experience front (with respect to Taylor and Elmo, their experience pales in comparison to Young's) and even the financial front.

Yeah, I’m sure he’s going to be a backup winger or to come on late in games. Wonder why he wants to sign… I assume he will be getting a decent wage especially if it’s just a 1 year deal…

Most of our players have at least 2 years of PL experience now. In Terry, we have ample experience, inspiration and guidance at the club in a way that he can relate to current players. I just don’t see the need.

I can’t imagine he’s going to play at fullback or do well there, he’s not defensively strong or adept and I would be concerned to see him line up there against the opposition in this league…

Has ever played at fullback? And even if he has, I doubt he’s been put under a massive amount of pressure due to the clubs he’s been playing for who have the majority of possession in nearly all games. Played as an attacking LWB at Inter.

Just now, supermon said:

So his crossing ability, tackles and assists didn't mean anything?

What were you expecting? Buendia levels of entertainment or something?

Just going off the vid mate, found it amusing…

Wasn’t the best demonstration, he’s constantly getting tackled and attacks breaking down there. They could have made a better compilation.

25 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Sounds like he's being signed as  cover for Trez for a year whilst he's out  ...and not Left back cover

Sounds sensible, as he'll be able to cover at fullback if we need him as well

Interested to hear Dean’s thoughts on this… how he seems him contributing.

I’ll try to refrain from commenting further as this seems to appeal to the vast majority on here and I don’t want to upset anyone. No offence intended to anyone, just my view.

I’ll be happy to be proven wrong but I don’t have any positive feelings towards this one…

Looking forward to much better signings…

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

After the euphoria of the Buendia signing this is just so underwhelming. Really not convinced.

I don't think anyone is. Some have done a better job of putting on a brave face than others.

10 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Actually did not realise so many’s fans do not like Young.

He was such a great player for us, and I’ve no idea where the judgements about his personality have come from, so for me it’s baffling how you could not have anything but fond memories. 

What is written on VT generally has no relationship to what the majority of the fanbase actually say/feel/do. 

I've gone to Villa Park many times fearing what the atmosphere will be like / reception for certain individuals from reading multiple comments on here, but then Villa Park is utterly fine with it. 

I think it's a mixture of dicks and keyboard warriors attaching themselves to the site. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Fun fact. If Ashley Young comes back and scores a goal next season he'll break the record for longest gap between goals for a Villa player. His last goal for the club was in the 2010/2011 season so that'll be 10 seasons between goals.

The current record seems to be 9 seasons, held by Steve Hunt who scored a goal in the 1975/76 season (2-2 v West Ham 17/04/76) before heading off to New York, Coventry & West Brom, eventually coming back to score his 2nd goal for the club in the 1985/86 season (2-2 v Newcastle). He eventually scored 9 in total.

Can't believe Scott Hogan didn't get a mention in your post.

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

I don't think anyone is. Some have done a better job of putting on a brave face than others.

I don’t think there’s much to be convinced about either way. 1 year deal, free transfer, can provide cover in a variety of positions. It’s a no lose situation really. 

I’m not euphoric in the way I was with the Buendia signing, but I’m certainly not underwhelmed or disappointed where we’re using pragmatic, short term solutions to add experience and fill gaps. 

There's nothing to lose with this deal, as we aren't signing him because we're desperate for what he can contribute on the pitch, we've got plenty of wingers, it's not as if we're signing him as an alternative to some £25m winger, he being brought in purely for his experience, I think he'll surprise a few people with how good he still is, it's not for nothing that we're signing him, Burnley tried to sign him, or that Inter Milan offered him a new deal, but if it doesn't work out on the pitch for him, it doesn't really matter, as we will still have plenty of other options...

'It's not as if we're signing him as an alternative to some £25m winger,' or in other words it's not as if we didn't sign Young we'd then go and rush out and by another winger instead.

• Like 1

Â