Ashley Young

maqroll

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

He has been in Italy for 2 seasons where he has done fairly well. But the rigors of the Premier league break aging players. This has disaster written all over it. Fortunately we aren't in a position where we have to throw him into the first team straight away.

edinson cavani psg GIF by Paris Saint-Germain

Edited by zab6359

25 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think it would be part of the general model.  Have a young group of players of around 20-30 players (first team and quality in younger teams) and then a handful of older players for various reasons.  I think there needs to be a balance, it cant all be young and so our model is 90% young and the rest older players.  A pure 100% youngsters would seem too far.  Somebody like Young whose been around the block, is free, and I assume his wages wont be stupid will benefit the younger players.  I think this would be part of the general model.

we released Elmo who arguably met the exact same criteria  , he was very well regarded by the club and youngsters by all accounts

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

we released Elmo who arguably met the exact same criteria  , he was very well regarded by the club and youngsters by all accounts

True but I would argue Young played at a much higher level and a better player.  Elmo may also want to leave to get more game time elsewhere, he may have asked.

Not sure if there's a direct comparison going on between Elmo and Young here. However, Young just won Serie A and played CL football, Elmo got dropped and Smith thought it was better to stick Konsa at RB than use him. 

Edited by AndyM3000
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

This sort of sentiment is staggering to me. I mean I’m not saying he’ll be a great signing now but was our best player for several years at the high point of the last couple of decades. Things like West Ham away, the 3-2 at Everton, the genuine level of play that saw Man United sign him… to me this is like saying “I don’t have fond memories of Dwight Yorke.”

Its good that we disagree, I don't like agreeing with everyone.

Spent most of the time falling over or crossing the ball into the stands, was frustrating to watch for me.

Yorke on the other hand, I enjoyed watching him.

Horses for courses, each to their own

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Not sure if there's a direct comparison going on between Elmo and Young here. However, Young just won Serie A and played CL football, Elmo got dropped and Smith thought it was better to stick Konsa at RB than use him. 

I don't think anyone is making a direct comparison,   but  people seem to think Young is coming to be an understudy and a good influence on the youngsters ... I pointed out we used to have such a player who "arguably met the same criteria"  .

We know for fact that Elmo was a good influence on the young players , other than teaching youngsters the pitfalls of not turning off your webcam , we don't know what sort of influence Young will be

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He’s not a left back though is he? 

I know he’s not the flying winger he used to be but is he actually any good at full back? 

His defensive stats were very impressive before joining inter. And I presume part of the decrease was due to covid and another part was due to inter barely losing the ball 

1 hour ago, Okonokos said:

Obviously Grealish was but he was missing for 13 games. Out of everyone else Targett was our best player. Us getting Young in as his backup instead of Taylor improves us drastically. Simple as that.

Taylor player less than 30 minutes. We conceded 2 goals in those minutes. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

We know for fact that Elmo was a good influence on the young players , other than teaching youngsters the pitfalls of not turning off your webcam , we don't know what sort of influence Young will be

FK instructor. 

• Haha 1

Oh well, it’s happening so will just have to come to terms with it.

Can’t see him being brought in as a backup/rotation fullback though, most likely to cover on the wings and to add some experience - don’t think we need any more of that but hey ho…

I would be terrified if he played in defence against a decent team, toughest league in the world n all that…

Hopefully it’s not costing us much…

• Like 1

Â