Ashley Young

maqroll

He has been in Italy for 2 seasons where he has done fairly well. But the rigors of the Premier league break aging players. This has disaster written all over it. Fortunately we aren't in a position where we have to throw him into the first team straight away.

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

What was Inter offering? A six month contract and reserve team football? I am not sure why he would move from a side that has just won the scudetto in a league that is more generous to older players unless he has been clearly told that he would just be back up. He wants to keep playing that is why he left United to Inter 18 months ago.

Inter just changed manager and are financially downgrading at the moment

• Like 1

Even if we don't sign another full back, I think if Cash was to get injured we'd be more likely to play Konsa at right back than Ashley Young, maybe he'd get game time at left back if Targett was to miss games, but I think if Targett was to get a longer term injury, then more likely we'd play Hause at left back than play Young there, or Guilbert if he returns to the club.

Basically I don't think we're signing Young with the full back positions in mind at all, also have to bear in mind that full back is one of the hardest if not the hardest position to play as you get older as you have to constantly get up and down the pitch, unless you're the type of fullback that doesn't attack so can just sit back, which is something that Young obviously isn't going to do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Philosopher said:

He has been in Italy for 2 seasons where he has done fairly well. But the rigors of the Premier league break aging players. This has disaster written all over it. Fortunately we aren't in a position where we have to throw him into the first team straight away.

Thiago Silva didnt do too badly, Fernandinho also had a good season

1 minute ago, Beastmix said:

When Young left him for dead in the final seconds of the game and bopped it into the back of the net for the win. Always worth a re-watch.

Everton 2-3 Aston Villa | Young's last minute winner! | 7th December 2008 | Premier League Vault - YouTube

Great memories, which belong in the past, whose only value is look back upon fondly.

This move seems desperate, I'm genuinely concerned for the rest of the summer. 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Philosopher said:

Great memories, which belong in the past, whose only value is look back upon fondly.

This move seems desperate, I'm genuinely concerned for the rest of the summer. 

not sure your issue...do you not see him as an upgrade on taylor? it's a free transfer when we were probably looking at having to chuck a few mil on a replacement for taylor. it potentially could mean we have enough FFP headroom to meet southampton's demands for JWP or arsenal's demands for ESR.

if anything i'm more optimistic for the rest of the summer because of this signing

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Thiago Silva didnt do too badly, Fernandinho also had a good season

Those guys one were world class. Ashley as much as I love him never was. They both play in more sedentary positions where they just need to hold their position and not cover large distances. They don't require lots of explosive bursts either.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

So you keep saying.

Sorry but this move really disappoints me. I don’t rate Targett as anything more than a reliable 6-7 out of ten player. I was hoping for real competition here. For me this is a position where we need a viable quality alternative, with pace and energy.

It all hints to the tactical approach we are likely to take, which doesn't excite me.

• Haha 1

Once next season is over and done with I bet he will have played a lot more as a winger than he will have as a full back. I think we will see him subbed on a lot in games in that position to add some experience, composure and help us keep the ball better. 

Also wouldn't be surprised if he's being brought in with a coaching role in mind, either with the academy, Boateng and Jedinek are currently coaching the U23s and U16s, Taylor had some sort of mentorship role, and Elmohamady was offered a coaching role as well, or maybe even as an eventually Terry replacement if he moves into full time management.

2 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Sorry but this move really disappoints me. I don’t rate Targett as anything more than a reliable 6-7 out of ten player. I was hoping for real competition here. For me this is a position where we need a viable quality alternative, with pace and energy.

It all hints to the tactical approach we are likely to take, which doesn't excite me.

What tactical approach would that be? 

7 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Those guys one were world class. Ashley as much as I love him never was. They both play in more sedentary positions where they just need to hold their position and not cover large distances. They don't require lots of explosive bursts either.

I don’t know what to make of this transfer , but in Young’s defence he stopped relying on pace years ago and adapted well to prolong his career, never in a million years did he expect a player who started his first game for us as a second striker behind Carew playing left back years later

3 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Mate, you’ve said it about 95 times now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Â