Ashley Young

maqroll

35 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’ve never understood the continued love of Gareth Barry by some fans. He was a decent player but for me he never showed up in the big games when the chips were down. As you rightly say he kicked up a big fuss when he wanted to leave. 

I understand that there are reasons why players move on but there’s a way of doing it. Delph, Yorke, Barry are examples of how not to do it. James Milner and to the best of my memory Ashley Young did it right. Still disappointing though at the time.

Barry was always a word removed. He also had a transfer request done for spurs IIRC.

I don't have any ill feelings to Young like that, but the fact is still he left for Man Utd. And that's enough for me not to want him back.

Secondly I have a never go back policy. Whether it is pootang or footballers.

But for those who are more rational I fully understand the signing. I said for the start we needed a versatile player to cover both fullback positions, and he does that. With plenty of experience to boot. It makes sense. I just don't like it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Barry was always a word removed. 

"why is MON at the euros rather than sorting my contract out" 

Exclusive news of the world interview with Gareth Barry from his florida holiday home 

Yep word removed 

7 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Maybe, but his personality clearly changed for the worse when he moved on, the diving is just another part of it… never liked the guy after he left us. The likes of Milner & even Barry displayed more class & integrity…

Anyway, it’s not the main reason I dislike the idea of signing him… 

This is total bollocks. He went on to captain Manchester United. He played in a World Cup semi final *literally* because of his leadership.

• Like 1

Signing makes sense, we need back up for Target and experience in the dressing room. I get some hate because he left us for Manure, but, it is what it is. Think that was the beginning of the end of the Lerner days. We just bought Bent then sold the guy that would get the assists for him not long after. 

No issue with signing Young on a 1 or 2 year deal. His experience will be a real asset in the dressing room. We’ve lost Heaton, Elmo and Taylor so far this summer and we have a young squad.

17 hours ago, skarroki said:

He's versatile which is ideal from the bench. I think some of the people against this forget that we're allowed to make subs / pick different starting XI's during the season. 

Like Smith you mean?😉

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Disappointed with this. He moved on. Now we should have moved on.

If Jack moves on to Citeh this summer, decides he made a mistake and wants to come back next summer. Does "he moved on, we should have moved on" still ring true?

3 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

If Jack moves on to Citeh this summer, decides he made a mistake and wants to come back next summer. Does "he moved on, we should have moved on" still ring true?

Yes. 100% definitely yes.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

I bet Young never plays one game at left back for us, I'd still expect us to sign another younger left-back who specializes playing in that position in a back four, Chrisene and Revan are unlikely to be ready any time soon, both still only seventeen, they won't even be the same age as Kesler is now until the season after next, they've probably still got a season in our U23s and then a season out on loan before they get near our first team, and Chrisene isn't even a left back anyway.

The whole idea of fan perceived 'player loyalty' is totally unrealistic, sentimental nonsense.

Obviously, we invest our hopes and dreams in the players and to some degree, they play along with that narrative, but at the end of the day, they are just doing a job in a fairly short career...

Just as we all do from time to time, sometimes they think... yeah, I like it here, but I want to get paid more, so it's time to leave. 

And if our employer rates us and doesn't want to lose us, they might try all sorts of things to keep us, but if we've made our minds up, we'll do whatever it takes, including being difficult, to make the exit happen more quickly.

Equally, if after leaving, we've done well somewhere else, it's natural our old employer will think seriously about taking us back, irrespective of how we left.

Real life.

• Like 2

Â