Ashley Young

maqroll

Percy has spoken, so looks like this is happening...  Ashley Young was a large part of the team which made me fall in love with Villa ~15 years ago, and even scored one of my favorite goals of all time in that epic 3-2 win against Everton in stoppage time.  I used to have a lot of respect for him as a player, but unlike Milner and Barry, the other great players who played for us and left for a bigger club in the same period, I've disliked Young ever since because of that blatant dive against us for the winning penalty the first game against us for Man United.  He's a mercenary and the only reason he's coming back to Villa Park is that we must be offering him more money than any other club at this point in his career.  I'm hoping it's just a short term 1-2 year deal and we replace him with a better fullback, ASAP...

4 minutes ago, KMitch said:

and even scored one of my favorite goals of all time in that epic 3-2 win against Everton in stoppage time. 

I remember the bar I was in, Bankers in Dublin with about 4 other Irish Villa fans. We went absolutely nuts. Lescott scored equaliser in last minute of injury time and went front deflation to absolute elation

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, useless said:

I think the idea of him being brought as cover for the fullback positions is just guesswork from the papers, I wouldn't be surprised if he never plays there for us, especially not in a back four, last few seasons he's been playing as left winger for Inter Milan in a 352 system, and if he signs I imagine he will have a similar role for us when called upon, can also see him being used in central midfield at times as well when we need to keep the ball and see out a game.

Exactly this. If indeed we are signing him, I can’t see it as a backup LB. He’s predominantly played as an attacking  LWB at Inter and for the majority of the remainder of his career since he left us, so I assume he would be brought in as cover for the wings (maybe to cover for Trez’s injury). And we don’t play with wing backs or 3 solid CBs…

Personally, I am against the move. He’s at the end of his career and the PL is the most demanding league there is, especially in terms of physicality, speed & fitness. I would dread to see him play at LB for us against some of the wingers and WFs in this league, I don’t think he’s defensively sound or capable enough.

I also do not like him but no need to get into that.

As a winger, he could do a job for a few minutes here and there but it just doesn’t make much sense to me. His delivery will still be good from open play and set pieces but will he have enough pace, strength and energy to be a reliable option for us? I don’t see it…

If we’re bringing up experience again, I think we already have that in both the squad and coaching team. In Terry, we already have a “winner” at the club and someone who can have a good rapport & relationship with the players and provide some inspiration & guidance.

I don’t see the point but if it happens, so be it.

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Percy has spoken, so looks like this is happening...  Ashley Young was a large part of the team which made me fall in love with Villa ~15 years ago, and even scored one of my favorite goals of all time in that epic 3-2 win against Everton in stoppage time.  I used to have a lot of respect for him as a player, but unlike Milner and Barry, the other great players who played for us and left for a bigger club in the same period, I've disliked Young ever since because of that blatant dive against us for the winning penalty the first game against us for Man United.  He's a mercenary and the only reason he's coming back to Villa Park is that we must be offering him more money than any other club at this point in his career.  I'm hoping it's just a short term 1-2 year deal and we replace him with a better fullback, ASAP...

As usual when players join Manure, they turn into arrogant, deceitful pr****…

Maybe he has matured at Inter but I just don’t see the point or worth in signing him and honestly find the link very disappointing.

There is so much better business we can do…

47 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Jack does these all the time. It's why other fans hate him. The last one there is probably a yellow card on Clint Hill I think that is too, and the GK one is definitely a foul too.

The only one you could call a dive was the one against us, and even with that, the theatrical dive was so unnecessary. For one, he played for Manchester United. He already got the contact, going down would have been enough :lol: . Don't think he needed to sell a Manchester United penalty to a ref that hard. 

As a back up for 12 months I think it's a great idea so we can focus our money on other areas.  I'm not generally a fan of buying back ups because I like to bring in players that can go straight into the first team and make current players back ups but that isnt always possible due to funds and availability. We have a need at fullbacks for some support and he's free and relatively cheap wages wise I hope then it makes sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Jack does these all the time. It's why other fans hate him. The last one there is probably a yellow card on Clint Hill I think that is too, and the GK one is definitely a foul too.

The only one you could call a dive was the one against us, and even with that, the theatrical dive was so unnecessary. For one, he played for Manchester United. He already got the contact, going down would have been enough :lol: . Don't think he needed to sell a Manchester United penalty to a ref that hard. 

I don’t see Jack constantly overacting and always exaggerating fouls, particularly to get penalties…

He’s not a diver imo despite what other people think, you have to protect yourself when your that kind of player & special talent, otherwise you will be constantly kicked and injured… you can’t allow opposition players to constantly fouls and hurt you…

Yeah, Manure will always get pens and the vast majority of decisions going their way, there’s no denying that - will it ever change?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

As usual when players join Manure, they turn into arrogant, deceitful pr****…

Maybe he has matured at Inter but I just don’t see the point or worth in signing him and honestly find the link very disappointing.

There is so much better business we can do…

He did similar when he played at Villa, maybe the Villa blinkers were on but he definitely wasnt an angel and was just as hated as Jack for going down though more theatrical 

2 hours ago, KMitch said:

He has played for 4 clubs in his career so how is he a mercenary, Buendia has played for 4 clubs too so surely he is a mercenary as well. Except for Inter where he just signed an 18 month deal he has played over 100 games for each club. He left Villa to join United who were one of the top clubs in the world at the time, then he left United to join Inter who were a better team. Hardly a mercenary signing for better teams

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

He did similar when he played at Villa, maybe the Villa blinkers were on but he definitely wasnt an angel and was just as hated as Jack for going down though more theatrical 

Maybe, but his personality clearly changed for the worse when he moved on, the diving is just another part of it… never liked the guy after he left us. The likes of Milner & even Barry displayed more class & integrity…

Anyway, it’s not the main reason I dislike the idea of signing him… 

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Maybe, but his personality clearly changed for the worse when he moved on, the diving is just another part of it… never liked the guy after he left us. The likes of Milner & even Barry displayed more class & integrity…

Anyway, it’s not the main reason I dislike the idea of signing him… 

the guy who ran off at the first opportunity while Young gave us an extra season. I dont see how Young personality changed at all, he was the same player just playing for United

Just now, Zatman said:

the guy who ran off at the first opportunity while Young gave us an extra season. I dont see how Young personality changed at all, he was the same player just playing for United

That fine if you didn’t see it, I did.

Wasn’t referring to the nature of their moves, more their character and the way they conducted themselves…

10 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

That fine if you didn’t see it, I did.

Wasn’t referring to the nature of their moves, more their character and the way they conducted themselves…

Fair enough but you havent given any examples. 

8 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He’s not a left back though is he? 

I know he’s not the flying winger he used to be but is he actually any good at full back? 

He played left back for title winning teams and England at World Cups… including the last one… didn’t he?

Â