Ashley Young

maqroll

Really strange one.

Ash is pretty close to the bottom of my "Former Villans I'd have liked to see finish their careers here" list. I guess we're finding the LB area harder to fill than we thought we might...

• Confused 1

Just now, TrentVilla said:

Someone tell Gabby to gets his boots we are getting the gang back together...

Never saw this coming but makes a lot of sense I guess, big shock though.

I'd take Milner back for a year or two if they're putting the gang back together!

17 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

If Percy says it's happening, it's happening. Clever signing for us, but still a bit bemused as to what Young feels he's getting out of it. He surely won't start many games? Is he being given an opportunity to join the coaching staff post-retirement?

Why *wouldn’t* he want to be a part of the set up here? Even if he’s only starting a dozen games, helping bring along the younger lads, being given an opportunity like JT to kick start your coaching career at a club you know is **** massive and where there’s little to no settling in period? 

16 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I presume he must still have  a very nice house in Cheshire and just drive in for the training and matches?

Probably has one in Four Oaks as well so many ex Villa players seem to keep them

6 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Really strange one.

Ash is pretty close to the bottom of my "Former Villans I'd have liked to see finish their careers here" list. I guess we're finding the LB area harder to fill than we thought we might...

Can cover Targett, Jack and even Cash. It potentially replaces Taylor and Elmo in one go and gives cover for Jack and better set pieces.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

I agree on the wages, but they'd have to be astronimical to put us off, especially if it's a 1 year deal, when you factor in how much more expensive it would be to sign any other left back cover on lower wages if they weren't on a free. The transfer fees alone would almost always make Youngs wages a more attractive proposition.

Plus we seem to be sensibly ran now so I doubt our owners would put him on dispropirationate wages to those he'd be in competition with, or behind in the pecking order.

He’s not a left back though is he? 

I know he’s not the flying winger he used to be but is he actually any good at full back? 

Not particularly happy about this as I can’t stand him and will never forgive him for diving against us to win a penalty. Don’t begrudge his original move to Man Utd (who could) but just don’t like him.

That being said, emotion aside, it does make sense as a back up and some senior experience around the club. He’s kinda done it all. 

17 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Can cover Targett, Jack and even Cash. It potentially replaces Taylor and Elmo in one go and gives cover for Jack and better set pieces.

Exactly - don't see why people are surprised by it tbh, I think it makes a lot of sense.

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Exactly - don't see why people are surprised by it tbh, I think it makes a lot of sense.

It makes sense but given everything we’ve seen and heard from the club over the last two years I think its justified people being surprised. I’m shocked.

• Like 4

tbh i think it might be a reasonable deal.

He can play left or right back, left or right wing back, and possibly even left/right midfield and wing at a push with his older legs?

Tbh if its a free transfer, a 1 year deal with a club option for another year, to offer quite a bit of utility in various positions, i dont see a negative?, especially as it might mean we have more money to spend in midfield and up front on the type of youngish upcoming players we want to actually invest good money in,  by spending no transfer fee on Young who really can cover for Targett, Cash (& Guilbert), on either wing if needed as backup to Jack, Traore, Ghazi and Buendia as required, and can play in cup games etc to help with squad rotation wherever needed.

I just dont see a major issue with it, i think it might actually be a good short term signing to allow us to spend more elsewhere.

7 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It makes sense but given everything we’ve seen and heard from the club over the last two years I think its justified people being surprised. I’m shocked.

true but if signing one older utility player on a short term deal, allows us to spend more on key positions with up and coming talent.......it kinda makes sense to me.

Im happy with our defence generally (more money needed in midfield & up front), so if you say to me i can have 15m for a new LB and 25m for a new midfielder, or a short term free transfer for a utility player who can play LB, RB, LW, RW and 40m on a key player, i would choose the second option currently (for where we are now and what we need)

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

Looks like he could be back at Villa. Have to admit never expected that. Of all the players that left around the time, he would’ve been the last I’d say would return. Completely different these days though. 
If wages aren’t high, think it’s a good move. Obviously has great experience. Knows the club. Better than Elmo and Neil Taylor, yet can replace both as back up full backs. Give us some old head around the place with Heaton and the two mentioned before leaving

26 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

And Traore when he goes off to Africa in Jan. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

He's fine as cover. But ideally you don't want your cover to ever have to play very much (case in point Elmo this season, he was a disaster really). This is another example of that for me.

Ashley is 2 years older than Ahmed. I don't particularly relish the idea of a 35-year-old coming on to cover Jack Grealish.... never mind our full-backs.

Edited by est1874

Ashley "no disrespect to Villa but when Man United called, I was off like a shot"  Young really isnt someone I have fond thoughts for. 

Decent player n his day but this does not get me nostalgic. He didn't leave well imho. If we want to go down this route of good senior players about the place then give Elmo another season, he is a known positive quantity. Ashley Young was a negative last time he was here. For me anyways, obviously if he comes I will support him. but a very unfortunate signing if true :(

I did watch him play a bit in last seasons Serie A. He was pretty good to be fair but Ashley Young up against the murderers row of world class wingers in the premier league scares the crap outta me.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

Â