Ashley Young

maqroll

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

So we're basically just signing Elmo 2.0 

Comparing Ashley young to Elmo, is borderline disrespectful to be honest. lol

Villa was/is the high point of Elmos career.

Villa was the mid level/point of Youngs career.

Also totally different players.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

Thanks mate, I still can't find anything, all I see is sky reporting on what's been posted by the likes of football insider..

If his fitness is at the required level then this could be a masterstroke. Although it doesn't fit the Villa way, it's an intriguing proposition and we did sign Reyna so maybe they are open to deals for the elderly.

15 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

For @Phil Silvers

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Can't see this happening doesn't fit our young and hungry player role. Paper talk.

Leaving aside the fact basically every successful side ever has had *some* experience in the squad, and as we’re ran by proper people I’m sure they understand that, which “young and hungry” left back is going to come here and sit on the bench behind Matt Targett? Currently, at least?

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

Thanks mate, I still can't find anything, all I see is sky reporting on what's been posted by the likes of football insider..

If his fitness is at the required level then this could be a masterstroke. Although it doesn't fit the Villa way, it's an intriguing proposition and we did sign Reyna so maybe they are open to deals for the elderly.

Nothing is more depressing than seeing a player who is younger than me being described as elderly 😂. Maybe I need to sack off my Sunday League now and take up walking footie instead.

Edited by RichiBoi11
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, RichiBoi11 said:

Nothing is more depressing than seeing a player who is younger than me being described as elderly 😂. Maybe I need to sack off my Sunday League now and take up walking footie instead.

Makes two of us mate... lol

• Haha 1

Would be a welcome veteran addition to a stable and tight knit dressing room.  Gives coverage all over the pitch, and is an infinitely better option than Neil Taylor and Elmo at this stage in their careers.

just won Serie A with inter for Christ’s sake, and it’s not like he’s coming here to start.  Good depth.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Well happy with this  

How can you not be?

Look at what he's achieved, having that around can only be a good thing. He's also a massive upgrade and is returning to us. 

Brilliant.

I can't think of one single negative.

• Like 2

I'm not sure why people are worried about his age, it's just a number. This isn't Logan's Run, some of the absolute top players in the world are the wrong side of 30. If he can play Champions League football and win Serie A at Inter Milan, he can play a role for us.

I don't think Purslow is gonna sign him to a long term deal. As an experienced backup for a season or two, he's perfect.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Percy states it’s close, therefore welcome back Ash.

Back post Percy 

Quite happy with this to be fair. Will be good experience and a good pro. Plus, was my favourite player back in the day! Still got a shirt with his name on somewhere, in fact. Think it’s the Acorns shirt 😍 not sure it’ll still fit though 🤣

Edited by villan-scott
  • Like 4

If the club think it is a good idea, then I am happy with it. They have done well so far.

I guess he must be happy to be back up. Would probably get some time on the pitch as he can cover a number of positions.

Hard to forget that dive against us. Just goes to show, be careful what you do on the way up, you might have to face the same fans on your way back down. 

Edited by AntrimBlack

Of all the players who left us, I must say Young would have been up there with the most unlikely to come back.

Wages are the key for me, what’s he asking for / expecting, that determines whether or not this is a good move for us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Of all the players who left us, I must say Young would have been up there with the most unlikely to come back.

Wages are the key for me, what’s he asking for / expecting, that determines whether or not this is a good move for us.

I agree on the wages, but they'd have to be astronimical to put us off, especially if it's a 1 year deal, when you factor in how much more expensive it would be to sign any other left back cover on lower wages if they weren't on a free. The transfer fees alone would almost always make Youngs wages a more attractive proposition.

Plus we seem to be sensibly ran now so I doubt our owners would put him on dispropirationate wages to those he'd be in competition with, or behind in the pecking order.

Â