Ashley Young

maqroll

1 hour ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

And Barcelona are interested in him...

Ok? No one has brought him, I'm stating who I think we should buy not making a prediction who we will buy or who will buy the player this summer or next.

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

Sky reporting this also.

Wouldn't mind it to be honest, I know everyone is eager for every position to be filled ASAP with the best prospects available but if the powers that be deemed it necessary to kill two birds with one stone in Young as a stop-gap being able to replace both Elmo and Taylor, and being able to allocate funds elsewhere in the process for more pressing needs in the starting XI then why not.

It really sounds better the more you think about it.

• Like 1

Brilliant idea . As others have said we have lost 3 major influences on the youngsters and the dressing room this summer. This will cost very little in thr grand scheme of things and provide cover for 2 positions while giving Kesler the chance to mature for a year and see if he kicks on. At the very least we must be testing FFP boundaries and maybe the positions we are looking to fill elsewhere need some serious dough to fill them. 

Big thumbs up from me 

• Like 1

As much as I would love to see him come back and be brilliant, the reality is he isn’t the player he was 10 years ago. Yes it would be great to have a bit more experience in the dressing room, but that doesn’t necessarily mean we should be signing older players. 

He struggled with the pace of the Premier League in his last few seasons at Utd, and although he managed 30+ games in Serie A last season, it is arguably a far less competitive and physically demanding league.

Imagine if Young did sign and then Targett picks up a serious injury, we’d be forced into changing the entire system just to accommodate him because (unfortunately) he isn’t mobile enough to play an attacking wing-back role anymore.

He was a fantastic player for us, no doubt, but his time has past and IMO we should just let sleeping dogs lye.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I'd absolutely take him on a 1 year deal as an experienced back up. Good experienced head, he's just won a Serie A title at Inter Milan. He's played for some great teams under some great managers, he knows how to win.

We're not going to pay him insane wages, we're not idiots. 36 is old but it isn't ancient, and his form hasn't fallen off a cliff because he didn't rely solely on pace or strength.

There is nothing wrong with this sort of experienced signing as long as we're not signing him up for 4 years at eye watering wages.

I don't see it a lot different to the John Terry signing which I think was absolutely a positive for the club.

Except Terry had never played for us and we were in the championship. 

Never go back. Never. 

2 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I don't see it a lot different to the John Terry signing which I think was absolutely a positive for the club.

I’m not against it, in fact I think I like the idea. I think many of our players could learn a lot from him.

However, re Terry, he dropped down a league coming to us whereas Young will arguably have to up his game a bit (no I’m not saying serie A is like the championship but maybe just not as tough as the PL).

On the whole, I think it’s a good idea as long as wages aren’t massive.

As it happens, I think he’ll go to a club where he’ll be guaranteed more playing time.

Will be very happy if we sign him, surely no one expects him to be the player he was for us.

Hes a good pro, can play a number of positions and I have no doubt he would be a good influence.

Also would free up our budget for the players we really want and we can look for a left back next season. 

Not for me. 

He lost all respect when he left for Yanited and then scraped the barrel when we played them.

Edited by imavillan
Dirty cheat

Don't care about age as this is a short-term signing. As long as he is better than Elmo and Taylor I am OK with it. Presume the objective would be to fill in until the likes of Kesler and Revan are ready to step-up. We still have Guilbert, Konsa and Hause that can play the fullback positions if needed.

29 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Not for me. 

He lost all respect when he left for Yanited and then scraped the barrel when we played them.

He's thrown himself to the ground to make sure the Ref is aware of it as most attackers do, but this is foul.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

You're massively overestimating how much he'd want. You pulled a £100k/week demand out your arse on the last page (£5m in wages), he's on £50k/week at Inter according to Corriere dello Sport, why would a player winding down his career expect double his wages(18 months after more than halving his wages to move to Inter), and then want a further £10m in Agent/Signing on Fees? Seems to me like he'd be asking for between £25k-£35k per week, which is nothing in the Premier League these days, especially when the alternative is likely to be spend £10m+ on a new LB on similar, if not higher, wages.

I’m obviously pulling these figures out of thin air.  I have no inside information. I sensationalised them to make a point.

Just like you are now pulling figures out of thin air to make your argument. Or did you just DM him on Twitter and ask him what he would want?

And If you look at my previous post, I already said that if it’s a free, and for around £20k a week, then yes.  So even £25k or £30k Id be fine with.

Every footballer is different, some can stay at a high level of fitness and performance longer than others. Cristian Ronaldo isn't as good as he was as he's only scoring 30+ goals a season now. Giggs & Scholes played big parts for united well into their 30s. 

Young has played regular first team football for the Serie A champions and in Champions League. I 100% believe he would be an improvement on Elmo / Taylor which are the players he would be replacing in the Squad. We had 4 fullbacks Elmo, Cash, Targett, Taylor. This season we could have Young, Cash, Targett and Guilbert. I'd say that's an improvement of the squad. I'd even take Young on 1 year deal with an option for another one triggered by 10+ appearances. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Great pro. Not for me though, at this point in his career. We can't do sentiment. Have to be cold and ruthless. Buendia is the type of signing we are/should be making now. Right are profile and room for improvement. Talk of Young been " good for the dressing room " is silly bollocks talk and id be worried if that was a factor if we decided to go for him.

Never underestimate the benefit of having an experienced, serial winner in the dressing room. Many top pros consistently refer to this winning mentality enhancing a squad - especially with such a young squad. 

Clever signing if it is a goer, imo. 

Let's leave the memories where they are and in tact.

The dive was a disgrace but I still have great memories of him. Do I want to see a 35 year old Ashley Young get rinsed by some journeymen on the occasion he does play.

Not really.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, eholm said:

Never underestimate the benefit of having an experienced, serial winner in the dressing room. Many top pros consistently refer to this winning mentality enhancing a squad - especially with such a young squad. 

Clever signing if it is a goer, imo. 

Yeah, chap with a winning mentality called John Terry was a good signing despite being a bit old I seem to remember. I'm not averse to this if the club think he's the best they can get in that position.

Must admit like others I'm a bit skeptical of the link though. Just doesn't seem like the sort of transfer we'd go for under our new transfer philosophy.

• Like 1

He was an absolute assist machine in the 3 years we had him, I believe only Fabregas had more assists than him during that period.

I have really fond memories of him and he was by far my favourite player in that era. And as someone else mentioned - our best player in between Yorke and Grealish timeline.

having said that, he's not going to be the same player that left us. I mean someone along the way decided to switch him to LB rather than LW.

I'd rather keep the fond memories of him rather than see fans expecting too much from a 36 year old, don't want that tarnished.

• Like 2

Â