Juan Pablo Angel

TheSufferingVilla

On 01/04/2019 at 13:19, VillaJ100 said:

I think he was brassic cos he was a gambling addict and needed the Villa sign on bonus to clear his debts. Then after a season went back to Newcastle. 

Didn't he get caught out cheating by his missus? Suppose its all myths and rumours but he was a bloody good player solano, I think we got him for a million and sold him back 12 months later for 3 million, Iirc he got sent off in his last game for us v Portsmouth to force the move through 

On 01/04/2019 at 13:20, VILLAMARV said:

Was it Souness who loaned us Milner then? Would never have guessed that. Forgot he'd even managed there.

Wish he'd get a big job somewhere Souness. He sold us loads of good players :D

Sold Staunton to us when he managed Liverpool aswell (and Dean Saunders).

On 02/04/2019 at 16:11, Jimzk5 said:

Didn't he get caught out cheating by his missus? Suppose its all myths and rumours but he was a bloody good player solano, I think we got him for a million and sold him back 12 months later for 3 million, Iirc he got sent off in his last game for us v Portsmouth to force the move through 

Solano-JPA- De La Cruz on the right hand side was quality linking up in second half of 03/04.

It's easily forgotten but we were very close to actually making the top 4 that year after being in the bottom 3 at xmas. Think we went 4th two weeks before end of the season but Liverpool then woke up and won their last two. In typical Villa fashion we finished 6th in a year when Millwall reached the FA cup final so they went into europe instead.

We then finished 6th four years later and Pompey won the cup! This club and timing....

I remember the wild debates on here and elsewhere about JPA. I thought he was alright but that injury he got at end of 03/04 finished him as a top premier league striker. He had a similar career here to Savo.

On 09/04/2019 at 18:18, Zatman said:

That Everton goal is ao under appreciated when talk about Villa team goals

Baros and Angel had potential

Baros, now there was a massively overrated forward compared to Angel and others. Awful ball control so couldn't lead a line and his one on one finishing was awful aswell. Scored against a few of the weaker prem teams in his 18 months but thought selling Vassell for 2m and buying him for 6m was poor business although we made it back by effectively swopping him for Carew.

25 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Baros, now there was a massively overrated forward compared to Angel and others. Awful ball control so couldn't lead a line and his one on one finishing was awful aswell. Scored against a few of the weaker prem teams in his 18 months but thought selling Vassell for 2m and buying him for 6m was poor business although we made it back by effectively swopping him for Carew.

He got 3 goals in derby games that season. He had electric pace and is certainly a player that needed a partner like Koller or ironically Carew somebody that was good in the air. I would say he was like a worse version of Gabby going by both careers

amazingly he is still playing

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Baros....... buying him for 6m was poor business although we made it back by effectively swopping him for Carew.

Kudos to O'Neill, he bought some right old toss at times but that one was a bloody brilliant bit of business!

16 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I remember the wild debates on here and elsewhere about JPA. I thought he was alright but that injury he got at end of 03/04 finished him as a top premier league striker. He had a similar career here to Savo.

IMHO we never saw the best of Angel (03/04) aside because he was too clever for the player we had around him. 

And I agree the injury did ruin him really, Iirc he had an op on his knee which ended up getting infected and after that he lost a touch of pace.

Not quite a legend but definitely a cult hero who as I said, I loved watching him play for us, he was still doing alrite for us when Mon bombed him off to New York

• Like 2

On 31/03/2019 at 00:09, MrDuck said:

Putting Angel's rather inconsistent form for us into perspective a little, he's still our third highest scorer in the Premier League era according to wikipedia:

Yorke 97 in 288

Gabby 74 in 284

Angel 62 in 205

I'm pretty sure Gabby is our leading Premier League scorer (if we're counting goals purely scored in that competition). Some of Yorke's pre-date the Premier League formation. 

12 hours ago, Xela said:

I'm pretty sure Gabby is our leading Premier League scorer (if we're counting goals purely scored in that competition). Some of Yorke's pre-date the Premier League formation. 

I think those figures I gave included cup games, cos yes, Gabby our leading PL scorer.

On 11/04/2019 at 22:02, VillaChris said:

Solano-JPA- De La Cruz on the right hand side was quality linking up in second half of 03/04.

It's easily forgotten but we were very close to actually making the top 4 that year after being in the bottom 3 at xmas. Think we went 4th two weeks before end of the season but Liverpool then woke up and won their last two. In typical Villa fashion we finished 6th in a year when Millwall reached the FA cup final so they went into europe instead.

We then finished 6th four years later and Pompey won the cup! This club and timing....

Regarding Europe I don't think I've ever been as pissed off. Sometimes teams finishing 8th were getting in. 

• 4 weeks later...
Â