Pape Matar Sarr

MotoMkali

1 minute ago, useless said:

Double pivot  is a commonly used word to describe two 'DMs' playing next to each other, and has been in use for a long time. It's no more pointless than any other word used to describe a team's formation or part of it.

I agree to a point but use of DM is misleading. I would say 2 CMs one holding 1 box to box

• Like 1

That's not really a double pivot though, pretty much every team has at least two CMs where one holds and at least one of the others is box to box. Maybe it's changed now, but the original meaning of a double pivot was two DMs being employed allowing the rest of the midfield to be more attack minded, for instance if we were to play a double pivot in the traditional sense of the meaning that would better allow us to have Grealish, Buendia and Traore all in the starting eleven and give them the freedom to do their thing.

I remember one of our best periods with Paul Lambert (I know I know) when he played Sylla (again, I know I know) behind the strikers. He was a DM but use to be infront of El Ahmadi and can’t remember who used to be with them. 
So we don’t have to play him behind anyway, someone mentioned that Pirlo used to be there but Gattuso doing the dirty work. 
So a Luiz, with McGinn and Sarr infront of him would give us a very good combination. Nakamba is much needed when the third is someone like Barkley. But when we have Sarr, all three are capable of winning balls, and are actually good footballers.

9 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

No he was the guy who shared some information that he’d heard. I doubt he’ll bother again when the response of some posters is so poor. 

Weren’t you the guy who never said anything interesting?

That’s sweet.

I also didn’t realise how closely you followed my posts, that’s flattering, really.

It’s better to be uninteresting and grounded in facts than saying players are signed sealed and delivered when they’re not, isn’t it? 😉

18 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

Weren’t you the guy who said Rashica was signed sealed and delivered 🤣🤣🤣

Ha, that's funny, that's really funny! Do you write your own material?

I've never heard anyone make that joke before - you're the first. I've never heard anyone throw that at me. Because that's what happened, isn't it?

And yet you've taken that and used it out of context to insult me in this everyday situation. God what a clever chap you are, to come up with a joke like that all by yourself.

Any Titanic jokes you want to throw at me too since we're hitting these phenomena at the height of their popularity!     :rolleyes:

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

Ha, that's funny, that's really funny! Do you write your own material?

I've never heard anyone make that joke before - you're the first. I've never heard anyone throw that at me. Because that's what happened, isn't it?

And yet you've taken that and used it out of context to insult me in this everyday situation. God what a clever chap you are, to come up with a joke like that all by yourself.

Any Titanic jokes you want to throw at me too since we're hitting these phenomena at the height of their popularity!     :rolleyes:

I obviously don’t, but you obviously do.

That information was perhaps the most original material ever written, so original in fact it never happened 🤣

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

And yet you've taken that and used it out of context to insult me in this everyday situation.

This is hilarious. You've been posting the 12 man squad shit about me repeatedly for days.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I remember one of our best periods with Paul Lambert (I know I know) when he played Sylla (again, I know I know) behind the strikers. He was a DM but use to be infront of El Ahmadi and can’t remember who used to be with them. 

Old Times Nostalgia GIF by ANTIQUES ROADSHOW | PBS

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

Exactly this.

Can obviously dish it but can’t...

oh oh, being verbally assaulted by the antipodean chuckle brothers!  First time I have seen NZ and Oz agree on anything! 🤣

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, useless said:

I didn't say it was an exact comparison, but in reply to the charge that we'd laugh at Wolves for these kind of signings I countered that the closest Wolves have come to this kind of signing is Neves, because none of their other signings are remotely comparable to the possibility of us signing Sarr.

I suspect when the comparison to Wolves' signings was brought up the intention was to compare the money being talked about for Sarr to the money that Wolves paid for Silva, difference is Silva had only played 182 minutes of league football with Porto when Wolves signed him, whereas Sarr has played 1593 minutes of league football for Metz in a leaue which I imagine most would say is a better quality, and he probably wouldn't cost as much as Silva either.

Also back on Neves, when Wolves signed him the season previous to that he could hardly get a game for Porto, he made thirteen appearances in the league, but most of them were off the bench, and two of his three appearances in the champions league that season were off the bench as well.

Or to put it another way if Wolves had have signed a player who at the age of eighteen had just made twenty plus league appearances in Ligue one, was his teams best player, was already a full international, was being linked to Man Utd, Chelsea, AC Milan, Everton and so on, then I doubt we'd be laughing at them, more likely thinking why can't we make such signings.

Ligue 1 and the primera Liga are basically the same quality. In fact the primera Liga has nearly overtaken the French league in terms of uefa coefficient.

3 hours ago, useless said:

When all is said and done there aren't any serious links to this player or links from sources that have proved to be reliable in the past. So all this talk is probably much ado about nothing. I hope there is some truth to it though and that we do sign him.

The guy who initially reported it works for a reputable news organisation. They are tier 2. So you can trust them decently. Normally that means they are 40%-50% accurate as opposed to the 100% of Percy. 

Neves ws playing in Primera about five years ago now.

Speaking of Wolves they're currently being linked to a midfielder called Samu Costa who's only ever played in the second division of Spain for £25m, he's actually about to be brought by the club he's been on loan to for £6m and then they're going to sell him on for a big  profit, that's the kind of deal that people laugh at Wolves for, not them young players that have a decent amount of experience playing in the top division of whatever country it may be.

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

I've been a fan of the double pivot since early Wenger but get what you're saying.

I vote "big burly DCM" most overused and pointlessly misused phrase on Villatalk

Be careful not to ask for a 'big burly DM'. I hear they can be right task masters, putting their foot up people's asses. 

Â