Pape Matar Sarr

MotoMkali

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

Yeah obviously they weren't looking at highlight videos. But sarr and fofana will both have been scouted heavily. Their overall number of appearances was basically the same in Ligue 1.

Fofana had years of being monitored and will have had scouts at games he played in before making the first team.

Sarr went for a trial at metz 2nd team.

So one there is years of data to analyse, the other you have 22 games.

Paying out huge money for someone with only 22 games to review is a massive gamble, and if we can only spend a certain amount this year, the gamble is even greater as the lad may get a lot better or he may not. There isn't that tracked progression to fall back on.

5 million to 10 million with future add ons is a more calculated gamble than chucking 25 million.

46 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Fofana had years of being monitored and will have had scouts at games he played in before making the first team.

Sarr went for a trial at metz 2nd team.

So one there is years of data to analyse, the other you have 22 games.

Paying out huge money for someone with only 22 games to review is a massive gamble, and if we can only spend a certain amount this year, the gamble is even greater as the lad may get a lot better or he may not. There isn't that tracked progression to fall back on.

5 million to 10 million with future add ons is a more calculated gamble than chucking 25 million.

The recruitment team get paid to make that call and have a track record of getting it right. 

This lad looks like the shizzle. 

• Like 2

There is nothing concrete that we are signing him. was only the 1 link from some random french journalist which now seems ages ago now. Dont think this will happen

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, messi11 said:

There is nothing concrete that we are signing him. was only the 1 link from some random french journalist which now seems ages ago now. Dont think this will happen

We were linked yesterday and the window opened today, or opens shortly

11 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Boooooooooo.

32 minutes ago, messi11 said:

What do you mean? He liked some Villa pictures on Instagram, it's a done deal.

10 minutes ago, Jono62 said:

What do you mean? He liked some Villa pictures on Instagram, it's a done deal.

He might be an A grade troll, probably not and the interest is real.

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Why not do like other clubs sometimes do and buy him and loan back to Metz for next season?

Didn't we do similar with Freddy and Caen?

I think that was because Caen didn’t really want to sell and the loan back for the remainder of the season (we signed him in January) was the only way to get them to agree to the deal.

I didn't say it was an exact comparison, but in reply to the charge that we'd laugh at Wolves for these kind of signings I countered that the closest Wolves have come to this kind of signing is Neves, because none of their other signings are remotely comparable to the possibility of us signing Sarr.

I suspect when the comparison to Wolves' signings was brought up the intention was to compare the money being talked about for Sarr to the money that Wolves paid for Silva, difference is Silva had only played 182 minutes of league football with Porto when Wolves signed him, whereas Sarr has played 1593 minutes of league football for Metz in a leaue which I imagine most would say is a better quality, and he probably wouldn't cost as much as Silva either.

Also back on Neves, when Wolves signed him the season previous to that he could hardly get a game for Porto, he made thirteen appearances in the league, but most of them were off the bench, and two of his three appearances in the champions league that season were off the bench as well.

Or to put it another way if Wolves had have signed a player who at the age of eighteen had just made twenty plus league appearances in Ligue one, was his teams best player, was already a full international, was being linked to Man Utd, Chelsea, AC Milan, Everton and so on, then I doubt we'd be laughing at them, more likely thinking why can't we make such signings.

Edited by useless

51 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I think our interest in Sarr is real. It’s much more likely that we are after him than JWP. I hope we can do the deal. He could be worth £100m in three years.

I think JWP is the less glamorous, more finished option. Sarr carries more risk but also more potential. We could be on for both, JWP straight into the team and Sarr introduced gradually over the first few months of the season. Depends on the recruitment guys assessment and of course both players character’s. Which I think is quite a big deal to us now. 

Both add to the strength of our central midfield which was a weak point last season. Lots of competition for places too can only be good news. 

11 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Both add to the strength of our central midfield which was a weak point last season. Lots of competition for places too can only be good news. 

It can be indeed Dave.

...for some us anyway.  ;)

• Like 2

When all is said and done there aren't any serious links to this player or links from sources that have proved to be reliable in the past. So all this talk is probably much ado about nothing. I hope there is some truth to it though and that we do sign him.

Edited by useless

Â