Pape Matar Sarr

MotoMkali

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Playing for the 2nd team is completely different from playing for the first team. 

It is, and teilmans 140 games were for the 1st team including Europe league and champions league games.

And fofana played for the youth team then the 2nd team then the first team, so his progress was closely monitored 

Edited by brummybloke

6 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

It is, and teilmans 140 games were for the 1st team including Europe league and champions league games.

And fofana played for the youth team then the 2nd team then the first team, so his progress was closely monitored 

By Saint-Etienne not by Leicester. 

Dunno what to think of this one really. Signing an 18-year old wonderkid sounds great, and he plays in a position we need, so I guess I'm all for it?

I just worry he won't quite be able to cut it in the PL immediately at age 18 and I think we need a quality new player in central mid who can hit the ground running next season. Suppose it depends who else we're signing this summer really.

31 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Even if we sign him for 20 million quid and he turns out to be the first big bust of the regime, so what. It will happen eventually. It’s the posturing I find ridiculous, everyone has to have an angle. 

Exactly this. The signs from recruitment so far has been good, but the chances of having fairy story obscure league/lower division player bought for peanuts who turns into the next Mahrez is very slim. All we ask is they deeply assess/scout and make a calculated decisions based on where he will play, what’s needs developing and when he will likely blossom. Lots of teams are now using statistical analysis and moneyball, all it does is narrow the risk, there will likely be failures as much as successes, if we can’t accept that we just pay £50m+ and high wages for ready made players. 

• Like 1

I really couldn't give a toss how much we buy him for if we do sign him. That isn't my business. If the club feels he's worth it then go for it. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 4

Most comparable Wolves signing to Sarr in terms of age and level of experience, and reputation of player was probably Neves and no one was laughing at them for that.

• Like 1

Does anyone actually know the fee?  It seems to have been self perpetuating!  

I would not believe anything the red tops or Birmingham Mail print, think the club will know what the kid is worth and be prepared to walk away if it gets silly.

• Like 1

Another statistical nugget I found. He's the 4th highest rated 18 year old in the top 5 leagues according to whoscored's system last season. The only 4 people higher than him was a goalkeeper who only played 1 game so we can ignore that, Ansu Fati who also barely played last season due to injury and Florian Wirtz of Bayer Leverkusen.

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

By Saint-Etienne not by Leicester. 

His progress will have been documented, each season, he will have been playing infront of several scouts throughout his time at St etienne. Just like most youth players are. I highly doubt ONLY St ettienne monitored his progress and Leicesters scouting network had no input and Leicester saw his YouTube highlights and just got him.

32 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

At big money it's the sort of signing we laugh at Wolves for making..........

Until this year we'd been looking at a lot of their signings with envy. Other than knowing it was all going to come crashing down around them because of Mendes

35 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

At big money it's the sort of signing we laugh at Wolves for making..........

Apart from Fabio Silva which seemed a dodgy deal, we don't normally laugh at them when they make these kinds of signings? Neto, Podence, Neves etc have all been excellent signings and all cost a fair wedge (as well as much less than they'd have cost if they didn't have the Mendes hookup).

Sarr has played a lot more minutes for Metz than Silva had played for Porto before his move to Wolves, so that comparison doesn't really make sense, also Sarr wouldn't cost as much as Silva cost Wolves.

We don't even know that we're genuinely interested in the player without worrying what the fee would likely be.

8 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

His progress will have been documented, each season, he will have been playing infront of several scouts throughout his time at St etienne. Just like most youth players are. I highly doubt ONLY St ettienne monitored his progress and Leicesters scouting network had no input and Leicester saw his YouTube highlights and just got him.

Yeah obviously they weren't looking at highlight videos. But sarr and fofana will both have been scouted heavily. Their overall number of appearances was basically the same in Ligue 1.

1 hour ago, useless said:

Most comparable Wolves signing to Sarr in terms of age and level of experience, and reputation of player was probably Neves and no one was laughing at them for that.

Neves was captaining Porto in the Champions League. Is this kid captaining his team in the Champions League?

Â