James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

28 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Paul Doyle took the time this week (amongst a whole bunch of Euro 2020 match reports) to write a really lovely reflective piece on Dalian Atkinson after the cop who killed him was convicted. Whether he got this rumour right or wrong I think you’re going a bit overboard here in this.

What a cheap shot. I'm entitled to believe a guy with no transfer history started a speculative rumour on who would be a good signing rather than someone we're actually interested in and it's snowballed out of proportion. 

Edited by Kiwivillan

3 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

JWP is a DCM. I’m not sure what people think the process of strengthening a squad involves. Of that list only Grealish and Buendia get a place in a top six team. The others don’t even make the squad. 

If we’re serious about being a top club we have to behave like one. Our owners are ambitious and ruthless, they aren’t encumbered by the horrors of our recent past. As fans we need to catch up with them. It’s no good complaining about other clubs fans lack of appreciation of how we’ve progressed and then in the next sentence totally dismiss our ability to attract players. 

We’re not going to get to the top by being shrinking violets. Fortunately the people who run our club are anything but that. 

Traore would make a top 6 team. Lets not forget he was with Chelsea as a youngster. Not that it really adds to the conversation but felt like it needed to be said lol.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

What a cheap shot. I'm entitled to believe a guy with no transfer history started a speculative rumour on who would be a good signing rather than someone we're actually interested in and it's snowballed out of proportion. 

Not intended as a cheap shot and sorry if it came over as such - you said he’d slunk off into the shadows as if he has just popped up with a made-up story rather than being someone who regularly writes quality content on the club - probably in fact the best Villa writer at any mainstream papers. Won’t come back on this again as I have said a few times even if he turns out to have got this dead wrong I think you’re being unfair to him to suggest he would just make it up. Not his style - as evidenced by the very lack of transfer rumours you cite. Anyway again no cheap shot intended.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

Not intended as a cheap shot and sorry if it came over as such - you said he’d slunk off into the shadows as if he has just popped up with a made-up story rather than being someone who regularly writes quality content on the club - probably in fact the best Villa writer at any mainstream papers. Won’t come back on this again as I have said a few times even if he turns out to have got this dead wrong I think you’re being unfair to him to suggest he would just make it up. Not his style - as evidenced by the very lack of transfer rumours you cite. Anyway again no cheap shot intended.

Ok thanks, maybe I overreacted. I would just love for him to clarify the situation as he was genesis of rumour and has said nothing further. Meanwhile I just counted 39 article links since Tuesday on newsnow about JWP to Villa including loads of rent a quotes from ex footballers about the move 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Yes but you don't have to force that opinion down our throats every page. 

12 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

All opinions are equal but some opinions are more equal than others?

No. But this is a speculation thread a place for speculation. You don't have to keep slagging off a guy for doing his job. No one has really challenged you that much aside from saying he may have combined rumours or we had a bid and that approach has ended. So I'm not really sure what you get from lording this high and mighty approach over the rest of us.

I personally don't think this is happening but you also don't have to go Paul Doyle sucks every 15 minutes.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

No. But this is a speculation thread a place for speculation. You don't have to keep slagging off a guy for doing his job. No one has really challenged you that much aside from saying he may have combined rumours or we had a bid and that approach has ended. So I'm not really sure what you get from lording this high and mighty approach over the rest of us.

I personally don't think this is happening but you also don't have to go Paul Doyle sucks every 15 minutes.

Fair enough. It does my head in when people are replacing decent players in our team for a player we haven't signed yet and probably never will

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

It does my head in when people are replacing decent players in our team for a player we haven't signed yet and probably never will

So in effect, they've not been replaced if we haven't signed them then because they've never left.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Traore would make a top 6 team. Lets not forget he was with Chelsea as a youngster. Not that it really adds to the conversation but felt like it needed to be said lol.

I think he would make the squad at some top six clubs. A big season for him coming up, he’s got talent so if he can add consistently and cut out the wayward passing he’ll become a real asset at our top six club. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Fair enough. It does my head in when people are replacing decent players in our team for a player we haven't signed yet and probably never will

Who do you think JWP will replace when he does sign though?

If there is any interest in JWP then we can now look at the reported fee being paid for Ben White as something of a low water marker. I think anyone looking to obtain the services of JWP this summer is going to need to pony up £55-60m. 

10 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

JWP is a DCM. I’m not sure what people think the process of strengthening a squad involves. Of that list only Grealish and Buendia get a place in a top six team. The others don’t even make the squad. 

If we’re serious about being a top club we have to behave like one. Our owners are ambitious and ruthless, they aren’t encumbered by the horrors of our recent past. As fans we need to catch up with them. It’s no good complaining about other clubs fans lack of appreciation of how we’ve progressed and then in the next sentence totally dismiss our ability to attract players. 

We’re not going to get to the top by being shrinking violets. Fortunately the people who run our club are anything but that. 

I agree with the post, but I'd say we have players that would make the squads of the top 6:

Mings, Konsa and Martinez for starters. McGinn is allegedly wanted by Liverpool, plus Watkins could make the cut too IMO. The centre of the park is a weakness for us, as are our squad options and I'm confident the owners, CEO and Management know exactly what they want this summer. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

I agree with the post, but I'd say we have players that would make the squads of the top 6:

Mings, Konsa and Martinez for starters. McGinn is allegedly wanted by Liverpool, plus Watkins could make the cut too IMO. The centre of the park is a weakness for us, as are our squad options and I'm confident the owners, CEO and Management know exactly what they want this summer. 

That’s my point. We have a decent squad and some of the players are definitely good enough to take us where we want to go but not all of them. I agree that the powers that be know this and are working towards taking us forward in many ways. One of them recruitment. 

My response was to a post with a list of players, on that list I thought that only Jack and Emi 2 were top six players. As a squad we have others. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Absolutely spot on.

I believe our owners are aiming at top 4 in a couple of years. When I see what they are doing - I keep thinking about how 'this' signing will help us get there.

El Ghazi and Traore are not both top 4 squad players - one perhaps; neither would start.

Ramsey needs a loan.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

If there is any interest in JWP then we can now look at the reported fee being paid for Ben White as something of a low water marker. I think anyone looking to obtain the services of JWP this summer is going to need to pony up £55-60m. 

Agreed he isn't going to be cheap but if Arsenal paid upfront I reckon their first bid gets accepted. There will be a 5-10m premium to pay over 3/4/5 years 

17 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Ok thanks, maybe I overreacted. I would just love for him to clarify the situation as he was genesis of rumour and has said nothing further. Meanwhile I just counted 39 article links since Tuesday on newsnow about JWP to Villa including loads of rent a quotes from ex footballers about the move 

I'm not sure your behaviour on this thread is normal! Do you have anything else to do? 😄

Â