James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

8 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

JWP has immense passing statistics too, last season retaining the ball was a major problem for us.

Our midfield gave the ball away far too much (If I name the chief culprit I'll no doubt get blamed for hating him).

image.png.eccfc6d288e4b445c8c0ae63679a45fa.png

His pass completion percentage is actually rather poor according to fbref.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

In the words of the great Eazy E: "I Say F*** 'em'.

eazy e rap GIF

Ooooff, missed opportunity alert!

"And you'll get smoked and I hope that yer fans understand"

This is a definite nod to our friends in the UAE Airlines North London attaché.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villaglint said:

I think I’m very much on the pro JWP bandwagon but I’d be surprised to see it happen. 

That said although he’s great at free kicks unless it’s direct you do need someone to nod them in. Given how strong Mings is in the air I don’t feel like it’s a strength on his or Konsa in an attacking sense. 

The issue isn't the delivery for me. We tend to get 1 good chance from a set piece per game. Konsa and Hause always seem to win the ball and get a powerful header off. It just tends to be wild. The same goes for mings but he tends to win the ball less frequently. 

I loved the chaos hause caused against Chelsea. Where 2 or 3 men went with him every time and he still got a header off. 

2 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

image.png.eccfc6d288e4b445c8c0ae63679a45fa.png

His pass completion percentage is actually rather poor according to fbref.

I've done a comparison of McGinn and JWP on fbref , before I was using PL website.

Interesting.

JWP has double the passes attempted and completed than McGinn.

Defensive actions for JWP are also better: tackles, pressures and blocks all higher than McGinn.

His touches of the ball are almost double McGinn's, he has also 'carried' the ball over 300 more times than McGinn.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I've done a comparison of McGinn and JWP on Firefox, before I was using PL website.

Interesting.

JWP has double the passes attempted and completed than McGinn.

Defensive actions for JWP are also better: tackles, pressures and blocks all higher than McGinn.

His touches of the ball are almost double McGinn's, he has also 'carried' the ball over 300 more times than McGinn.

Yeah, I feel like aside from the defensive actions part, JWP attempting, completing, touching and carrying the ball more is more due to how Southampton play. They simply play in a way that allows JWP to be on the ball a lot more than Mcginn does for us. Hence why he touches the ball almost twice the amount Mcginn has and therefore is able to do make a lot more passes and carries.

This is supported by the fact that all our central midfielders touch the ball a lot less than the average CM again, according to Fbref. That's just a function of our playstyle. I fell into a similar trap when I said in the past that Jacob Ramsey's passing was poor because he attempted and completed so little of his passes when really it was the fact he barely touches the ball in a game for a CM, thereby he has such little opportunity to attempt passes in the first place.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

@Laughable Chimp

Granted.

It possibly is a difference in style of play.

However we still are extremely bad at retaining possession and making errors in the middle of the park. It would be great if we could shore up that aspect.

From the comparison on fbref it is obvious how JWP could improve us in both adding a little bite and also keeping the 'bloody' ball.

However I know we may not even be in for JWP.

Buendia is one thing, he maybe Norwich's best player but they are newly promoted and stated publically they would accept offers for some of their players.

Southampton are well established and despite being incredibly inconsistent they have the players and manager to rebound from a poor season, even if they aren't financially in a good place, selling their best player to a presently mid table club would trigger a pretty big outcry in their fans.

47 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Weird though as he ranks so highly for both passes attempted and completed to then rank so low for % complete

I think the issue is. That it compares to every player (midfielder) in the top 5 leagues. So a player who comes on and attempts and completes one pass. And then do nothing else. They are still 99th percentile for pass completion. 

15 hours ago, sne said:

Yeah, but £40m-£50m? For me that would be a massive misuse of money considering the kind of players that kind of money gets you. Not my money and all that and I know we would not be able to tempt a lot of top players regardless how much money we throw at them but nah, not for me.

For me he's a 7/10 player with good delivery. That's not someone I'd hope Villa to spend that type of money on. If we make one of the top 60 most expensive transfers of all time I hope it's for someone better than that.

For John McGinn with Conor Hourihane's dead ball delivery? Absolutely, yes. 

I'm not saying that is necessarily what he will bring, but if that is how he is viewed then I can absolutely see why they might like to sign him. 

To be honest, £40-50m is yesterdays £20m. The numbers in the PL are obscene, I don't think we've quite gotten used to what it will take in order to progress, yet. £40-50m also potentially buys you a bag of shit, and he is definitely not that?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Rumour is, were grafting behind the scenes trying to make this happen. Got a pal working at VP. (electrician) he's trying his best to blag some gossip.

He’s grafting behind the scenes or we are? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Defensive actions for JWP are also better: tackles, pressures and blocks all higher than McGinn

McGinn has 2 more blocks(6 vs 4) and 2 more tackles(118 vs 116) and played 1 less game than JWP. They basically identical both stats

What is this carry stat and is it effective. McGinn dominates JWP in dribbles attempted and successful 85/52 vs 23/17

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Rumour is, were grafting behind the scenes trying to make this happen. Got a pal working at VP. (electrician) he's trying his best to blag some gossip.

I so want to believe this. I can just picture your mate up a ladder in the corner of Lange’s office taking suspiciously too long to fit a light bulb……

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

McGinn has 2 more blocks(6 vs 4) and 2 more tackles(118 vs 116) and played 1 less game than JWP. They basically identical both stats

What is this carry stat and is it effective. McGinn dominates JWP in dribbles attempted and successful 85/52 vs 23/17

Villa wouldn't require Ward-Prowse to dribble the ball, but distribute. Our passing from centre-midfield is poor, JWP doubles McGinn for passes completed (stats below).

Carries

1212 McGinn, 1551 Ward-Prowse 

fbref Player comparison and look at Defensive Actions:

tackles:

74 McGinn and 84 Ward-Prowse 

Blocks

39 McGinn, 71 Ward-Prowse

But the main issue is retaining the ball and passing it, hence my comparison:

Passes completed

1080 McGinn, 2117 Ward-Prowse.

xG

2.2 McGinn,  5.3 Ward-Prowse 

Sorry but Ward-Prowse is better in mostly all statistics.

• Like 1

Â