James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

4 hours ago, paul514 said:

Can someone tell me why we should spend at least 40 million to buy JWP other than he can take a corner and might get 2-5 goals from free kicks a year?

Have you read this thread? There are about 1001 explanations for you to take a pick from. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Have you read this thread? There are about 1001 explanations for you to take a pick from. 

JWP has immense passing statistics too, last season retaining the ball was a major problem for us.

Our midfield gave the ball away far too much (If I name the chief culprit I'll no doubt get blamed for hating him).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

JWP has immense passing statistics too, last season retaining the ball was a major problem for us.

Our midfield gave the ball away far too much (If I name the chief culprit I'll no doubt get blamed for hating him).

Does it rhyme loosely with Son Heung-Min? 😜

5 hours ago, romavillan said:

Combining the most fouled player and the best free kick taker in the same side seems like a great idea to me.

Sounds like a complete no brainer to me.

And throw in what Jack has been complaining about in the England interviews.

And that he is an otherwise very competent footballer.

I do think we'd need to lose one of McGinn, Sanson, Ramsey, Luiz, Nakamba to make room though.  6 players for 2 (maybe 3 depending on formation) positions is too many. I assume Ramsey would be loaned out if he came in. 

• Like 1

I think I’m very much on the pro JWP bandwagon but I’d be surprised to see it happen. 

That said although he’s great at free kicks unless it’s direct you do need someone to nod them in. Given how strong Mings is in the air I don’t feel like it’s a strength on his or Konsa in an attacking sense. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I think I’m very much on the pro JWP bandwagon but I’d be surprised to see it happen. 

That said although he’s great at free kicks unless it’s direct you do need someone to nod them in. Given how strong Mings is in the air I don’t feel like it’s a strength on his or Konsa in an attacking sense. 

I think Konsa has been a decent threat in the opposition area at times. The hope is surely though, that they all improve with better delivery. 

• Like 1

I got heavily criticised months ago here on VT for advocating JWP, one of my main reasons was seeing us really struggle from free-kicks.

Obviously the game against Saints he made us pay and for those saying his all-round game is poor I disagree.

Now whether we signed him or not remains to be seen but Aston Villa must now be seen as a threat. We should be looking to unsettle teams around us because we are heading up the table, make other teams weaker in the process. Taking Buendia away from both Arsenal and Norwich is an example. Man Sh***y did it to us with Barry and Delph, it's a ruthless business.

Taking players like Ward-Prowse, McNeill etc weakens our rivals and I'm all for it.

In the words of the great Eazy E: "I Say F*** 'em'.

eazy e rap GIF

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Thanks 1

I had a look on the Southampton forum and this rumour has hardly been getting a mention.

We'd be the same if one of our players, Grealish for example, had been linked to another club but only one journalist had mentioned it, there'd be an initial discussion but then it would be soon forgotten, with people passionately protesting that if there was any truth to it other reliable sources would have reported it by now.

It seems as though there was never anything in this story to begin with and it's only got this far out of wishful thinking.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, useless said:

I had a look on the Southampton forum and this rumour has hardly been getting a mention.

We'd be the same if one of our players, Grealish for example, had been linked to another club but only one journalist had mentioned it, there'd be an initial discussion but then it would be soon forgotten, with people passionately protesting that if there was any truth to it other reliable sources would have reported it by now.

It seems as though there was never anything in this story to begin with and it's only got this far out of wishful thinking.

Or Purslow and co have got everything so tightly locked down that there’s nothing coming out to report. I’m not saying it’s happening but the fact is there’s little evidence to prove it either way. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rodders said:

the speed of the link to all the twitter chat on Buendia compared to the other links doesn't say much for the likelihood of this or the Sarr link for me. Both distractions. 

I reckon they are both real, but Sarr will happen first. 

7 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yup it's the only gripe I have with that particular Scot. 

7 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Just now, Philosopher said:

Yup it's the only gripe I have with that particular Scot. 

Completely agree, i wont knock his tenacity, effort, workrate etc, or even his long balls from time to time, however his ball retention and ability to retain possession via short or intricate passes is seriously poor, and i personally think it hinders the midfield terribly (specifically for ball retention).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villaglint said:

The issue isn't the delivery for me. We tend to get 1 good chance from a set piece per game. Konsa and Hause always seem to win the ball and get a powerful header off. It just tends to be wild. The same goes for mings but he tends to win the ball less frequently. 

I loved the chaos hause caused against Chelsea. Where 2 or 3 men went with him every time and he still got a header off. 

Â