James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

He is playing for a team that hasnt finished in top 10 in the last 4 seasons. He has had more yellow cards than assists in that time 

Played every game of the last 2 seasons and had 15 goal involvements for Saints last year when they weren't doing well. 

McGinn had 8 goal involvements, Barkley 4, Dougie 2 and Sanson/Ramsey 0. So more than every central midfielder we have at the club, combined. 

Ward-Prowse has scored 8 free kicks since Hassunhutl arrived. The joint direct free kick record in the Prem is 5 in one season held by Beckham and Blanc, he got 4 last season. If he scores 4 a season I'll take that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Can someone tell me why we should spend at least 40 million to buy JWP other than he can take a corner and might get 2-5 goals from free kicks a year?

He keeps the ball well, he recycles possession, better pressing, interceptions, blocks, clearances, tackles than Mcginn according to FBref (not sure I understand why he is in a higher percentile when apparently mcginn averages more interceptions and blocks but whatever). Scored more goals from open play than Mcginn as well. 

People were saying they'd want more than 30 mil for McGinn. So a player who is just better than Mcginn in open play plus being a top 5 set piece taker in the world is worth 40 mil. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Can someone tell me why we should spend at least 40 million to buy JWP other than he can take a corner and might get 2-5 goals from free kicks a year?

There's a few comments along these lines on Saints forum:

"Big fan of James. And the way we have run our squad down over the last four years, he's pretty integral for us. He has some great attributes, but also some rather large limitations. If they spend £40M on him, I can see their fans turning on him after a season. Expectations would be far too high for what he would deliver."

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

He keeps the ball well, he recycles possession, better pressing, interceptions, blocks, clearances, tackles than Mcginn according to FBref (not sure I understand why he is in a higher percentile when apparently mcginn averages more interceptions and blocks but whatever). Scored more goals from open play than Mcginn as well. 

People were saying they'd want more than 30 mil for McGinn. So a player who is just better than Mcginn in open play plus being a top 5 set piece taker in the world is worth 40 mil. 

McGinn isn’t playing in his optimal position though…

We also aren’t selling McGinn

Edited by paul514
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Does he have to offer an improvement on McGinn/Luiz/Sanson from open play? What if he offered the same + set pieces?

Basically, what if John McGinn could swing a ball in like Conor Hourihane? Would that not be worth £40-50m to a club with the most fouled player in the history of the game* playing for them?

*probably

Yeah, but £40m-£50m? For me that would be a massive misuse of money considering the kind of players that kind of money gets you. Not my money and all that and I know we would not be able to tempt a lot of top players regardless how much money we throw at them but nah, not for me.

For me he's a 7/10 player with good delivery. That's not someone I'd hope Villa to spend that type of money on. If we make one of the top 60 most expensive transfers of all time I hope it's for someone better than that.

• Like 2

You have to factor in that him playing in a side with Jack, Traore and Buendia inis going to mean he gets a LOT of chances to work his magic from free kicks around the box. Aside from the goals the opposition would be shitting it any time Jack was running at them within JWP range. 

5 minutes ago, romavillan said:

You have to factor in that him playing in a side with Jack, Traore and Buendia inis going to mean he gets a LOT of chances to work his magic from free kicks around the box. Aside from the goals the opposition would be shitting it any time Jack was running at them within JWP range. 

He scored 4 of the 11 total direct free kicks in PL last season and half of those against us in 1 game

11 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

He scored 4 of the 11 total direct free kicks in PL last season and half of those against us in 1 game

You'd think he'd be getting more than 11 chances with us in a season, more like 30!

4 minutes ago, romavillan said:

You'd think he'd be getting more than 11 chances with us in a season, more like 30!

Not 11 attempts. 11 goals scored from direct free kicks was total season amount in PL of all players. JWP got 4 the rest 1 each by 7 players. 

I should've worded it better.  

Edited by Kiwivillan

He scored 4 free kicks but no other player scored more than 1.

he only needs to score one more free kick and he will be joint level as the highest free kick scorer in the history of the premier league….and he’s only 26.

Opposing teams last season basically said kick jack and you stop our attack. The more intelligent teams even deliberately took turns to kick him to avoid yellow cards to stop our attack.

they did this as they were happy to take their chances with us launching aimless free kicks into the box that they knew they could defend relatively easily.

With JWP on the pitch they just can’t do that anymore as him on the end of a free kick is just as much of a threat as grealish or buendia running at you.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Opposing teams last season basically said kick jack and you stop our attack. The more intelligent teams even deliberately took turns to kick him to avoid yellow cards to stop our attack.

they did this as they were happy to take their chances with us launching aimless free kicks into the box that they knew they could defend relatively easily.

With JWP on the pitch they just can’t do that anymore as him on the end of a free kick is just as much of a threat as grealish or buendia running at you.

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148863hpjrdcyp9a89dtvs7

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

McGinn isn’t playing in his optimal position though…

We also aren’t selling McGinn

1) JWP allows McGinn to play a more attacking role - if he keeps Sanson et al out of the team

2) He didn’t say we were selling McGinn but was justifying why JWP has a higher valuation - he’s better 

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

He scored 4 free kicks but no other player scored more than 1.

he only needs to score one more free kick and he will be joint level as the highest free kick scorer in the history of the premier league….and he’s only 26.

Not true, Beckham has 18 free kicks

Not in the premier league he doesn’t. 

edit - maybe he does. The official premier league stats app doesn’t mention him so clearly is wrong.

JWP will be past him within two seasons anyway. 

Edited by DakotaVilla
Update

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Not 11 attempts. 11 goals scored from direct free kicks was total season amount in PL of all players. JWP got 4 the rest 1 each by 7 players. 

I should've worded it better.  

ha yeah seemed like it wasn't many, I hadn't had any coffee yet either. Regardless of numbers the point still stands if we get him, he adds a very serious threat to fouling one of our creative players around the box which might put enough doubt in a defenders mind to let Jack, Bertie or Buendia past to create or score. Combining the most fouled player and the best free kick taker in the same side seems like a great idea to me.

• Like 1

Â