James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

For us I think so too, he is better than our current central midfield and for £40m that's a good price

I also think that's about £20m short of what Southampton will want for him if they were to even sell him at all... And he's not worth that 

Do also agree with those suggesting that this is 2+2=5 a journo has taken the grealish set piece comments* and ran with it cooking this shit up, purslow being purslow won't lower himself in to taking about speculation, I really don't see this happening and hope it doesn't get dragged out all summer 

* would be interesting to know if what grealish said was laced with any bitterness over Hourihane struggling for games, going on loan and now I'd guess leaving this summer - but then that conversation would just start an "unhappy grealish wants out of villa" stream of bullshit 

Yes there’s no way he’s worth 50-60m to us, but too many level headed people (Bardell, @KentVillan and the Guardian Journo) have now heard there’s something in this to dismiss it as BS, imo. 

I think people are vastly over estimating how much it would take to buy him, if he wants to come and if Southampton are prepared to sell in light of him wanting to leave. His true value is probably around twenty to twenty five mill, over paying for him would be thirty five to forty million which is maybe what it would take, but these figures of fifty or sixty million won't even come into it, midfieders of his type just don't sell for that much.

• Like 2

If his agent has contacted us for a transfer the price will definitely reduce, it's essentially like giving in a transfer request. 

If it's us contacting them and JWP not being bothered the price would be overinflated and I doubt we'd be in for him

1 hour ago, Lord Willard said:

This guy takes us from top 8 to top 6 imo 

He is playing for a team that hasnt finished in top 10 in the last 4 seasons. He has had more yellow cards than assists in that time 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I think we should sign him as his name would fit perfectly as a verse in the "it's your round my lord" song.

I think that should be the main criteria for most of our business this summer.

M'bappe my lord, M'bappee ooooohh lord,  M'bappe 

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

somebody also said Ward Prowse has the most free kicks in Premier League history, thats not true either. He has scored 10 in 9 seasons and is 8 behind Beckham

8 behind Beckham? That’s terrible. 

😉

49 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I think we should sign him as his name would fit perfectly as a verse in the "it's your round my lord" song.

I think that should be the main criteria for most of our business this summer.

As soon as I read this, I sang the song to myself. Nicely done. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Enda said:

If more evidence emerges that we were interested, then I expect some posters to eat plenty of humble pie. 

If more threads are created linking us to further signings, I fear for some poster's and their sanity!

tenor.gif?itemid=14483673

• Haha 3

On 08/06/2021 at 15:14, sne said:

Really not feeling this deal, he's a fine player with a sweet delivery on set pieces but in open play he doesn't offer anywhere close to enough of an improvement on what we already have to warrant the fee he would cost.

Hope we have other targets.

Does he have to offer an improvement on McGinn/Luiz/Sanson from open play? What if he offered the same + set pieces?

Basically, what if John McGinn could swing a ball in like Conor Hourihane? Would that not be worth £40-50m to a club with the most fouled player in the history of the game* playing for them?

*probably

Could be a choice between JWP who would be the sensible less risky option, Sarr who is the sexy but more risky option or both, the meltdown option. 

Most likely the none of the above option. 

3 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

If more threads are created linking us to further signings, I fear for some poster's and their sanity!

tenor.gif?itemid=14483673

Right, I'm off to start the Josh King thread. 😉

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Could be a choice between JWP who would be the sensible less risky option, Sarr who is the sexy but more risky option or both, the meltdown option. 

Most likely the none of the above option. 

Both for my money.  

If Ramsey goes out on loan that leaves six players for three places, with Chuk being gradually introduced over the season as a seventh option. Nakamba then moves on next summer and we reassess. 

• Like 1

On 08/06/2021 at 18:50, KentVillan said:

Someone I trust as ITK has told me this is genuine. Doesn’t mean it will happen, but the story hasn’t been invented by journos - there is real interest in signing JWP.

Yep. I’m inclined to agree. Think we want him 35m-ish, 15m less than an ideal deal for Southampton though.

51 minutes ago, Awol said:

Both for my money.  

If Ramsey goes out on loan that leaves six players for three places, with Chuk being gradually introduced over the season as a seventh option. Nakamba then moves on next summer and we reassess. 

I can live with that. 

Ok…. I’m coming around… I would like this to happen because I am dying for us to have an expert free kick taker (constantly thinking about it now) and it would massively help us with all the fouls we can/could win… would give us a much better chance at winning games and turning draws into wins… he must be a solid PK taker too…

But how about alternatives?

I think we were linked to Parejo some time back… quality player…

Hakan Calhanoglu?

De Arrascaeta?

Robert Skov?

Dream signing & he would be  massive asset to our midfield would be Milinkovic-Savic but I can’t see that happening or being possible…

I can’t think of many, realistic targets as I don’t watch enough football these days or have a wide enough knowledge base… please enlighten me…

There’s just got to be better value out there and players who could offer more in general play…

If we are willing to pay over £40m even £50m-60m for a player we could really get someone truly exceptional… JWP is not that…

This won’t be an easy transfer to complete and the fee will be hefty (my main concern so far)… 

…but I would be for it as I guess he is no worse than our present midfielders (not convinced he is that much better tbh though) and I just want us to have better delivery from free kicks and corners and to actually score some! It’s such a powerful weapon and asset to have in your team especially when you have skilful players who are constantly winning free kicks and providing opportunities for the taker..

Give me more goals!!

Edited by Jas10

Â