James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

To be fair, most rumours don't come to light.  Personally, I think the odd thing is your repeated insistence that this particular rumour is ridiculous.  Most people kind of dismiss it initially and then don't bother following up on that.

Each to their own though 👍

It's the incessant posts about how he would be brilliant replacement for current player who they think is shit that do my head in. Probably same crowd that thought Gueye was shit

A bit random, but I love the way these threads evolve through deductive reasoning. People chip in little bits of info that get chewed over and added to, then after a dozen pages or so it seems unthinkable that we won’t sign him. 

I’m convinced. Welcome JWP. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, macandally said:

Whilst there are obvious click bait links, this one seemingly has a bit more to it however,

Respectfully it has the least going for it. At least with Buendia you had likes of Romano and Percy talking about battle between Arsenal and Villa days before. This one the author has said JWP is good player who would improve Villa and absolute silence since. I get annoyed by the ridiculous year after year Grealish leaving articles. Should I not apply the same standard?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

It's the incessant posts about how he would be brilliant replacement for current player who they think is shit that do my head in. Probably same crowd that thought Gueye was shit

No one is saying McGinn is shit, literally no one. They are saying that on balance JWP is probably a better player. We’re allowed multiple good players in a squad who can either rotate or even be on the pitch together. It’s not about replacement it’s about competition and always buying better than what you already have. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Respectfully it has the least going for it. At least with Buendia you had likes of Romano and Percy talking about battle between Arsenal and Villa days before. This one the author has said JWP is good player who would improve Villa and absolute silence since. I get annoyed by the ridiculous year after year Grealish leaving articles. Should I not apply the same standard?

You can apply whatever standards you like, however we got your message on page one, we do not need constant reminders or you ignoring/rubbishing other supporting evidence because it doesn't fit your opinion.

The fact Jack's agent is JWP's agent is rather telling. It was reported that our route to Buendia was hugely smoother and quicker cos shared agent. Strikes me JWP's agent is absolutely the middleman in these manouvres, no tapping up required and player negotiations feasibly could already have been scoped out and agreed subject to the club selling. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I can absolutely see JWP wanting to move on from Southampton and this ultimately, may force Saints hand. Think about it, Southampton's owners aren't interested, they will likely be happy just staying in the league next season and the likes of Ings/Bertrand are leaving or have left. Where's the ambition?

Without researching, I'd hazard a guess that JWP was the only Saints player in an England squad that has 3 Villa players, including Englands best player. He might be thinking that his best shot at going to a World Cup or winning a trophy or playing in Europe would be at a team like Villa. He's probably not quite at the level of a top 4 side so a Villa/Everton type would be his best crack at 'the big time'. There is also Matt Targett. I believe they are quite close and came through the ranks together and look how well Targett has done at Villa. It won't go unnoticed that he's just won our POTS and is improving under our coaching. 

We'd also be able to offer him a more lucrative contract. 

If Southampton are ready to listen to a sensible offer, I can see this having legs.

I know a very well connected Saints fan and this fits in with his view point. He thinks it is a real link.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tez500 said:

Southampton are a selling club, always have been. Lallana, Mane, VVD, Hojbjerg etc. If we want JWP and the price is right they will listen to offers.

I think if we come in with a 50m bid they would be hard pressed to look away. 

• Shocked 1

Him being so good at free kicks takes away how good his all round game is. He is probably the 5th best English midfielder and people are unsure? If it's around 50-60m we won't be interested but if it's around 30-35 I think we'll be all over it 

According to the Times, Southampton are ready to spurn any offer we make.

I’m not saying it will happen, probably won’t, but that’s several different news outlets reporting our interest which according to the article became ‘clear’ over the weekend. 

Think people are right and this is his agent stirring up some interest in jwp, whether for us or hoping to prompt other clubs into action.

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

So you don’t want us to improve the quality of our squad? Players don’t have to be shit to warrant considering an alternative. It isn’t just for straight swaps either. Players get injured, jaded, lose form or suspended. It’s a squad game now. 

I agree that there’s no need to insult a current player but people can legitimately find fault. There is equally no need to insult potential incoming players anymore than there is a need to insult people who hold a different opinion. 

The black and white nature of the argument I find baffling. There are pros and cons to most arguments, the answer is generally in the grey. Even more baffling is questioning whether we should even be having the debate. It’s a forum, talking is pretty much it’s reason for existence. 

• Like 3

The fact that we have a realistic chance of signing one of Southampton's if not their best player shows how far we've climbed the ladder.

Under Lambert or even last season there would be zero chance of that.

We just need to keep making smart signings, if they are the right age and right profile overpay if we have to.

2 hours ago, Awol said:

No one is saying McGinn is shit, literally no one. They are saying that on balance JWP is probably a better player. We’re allowed multiple good players in a squad who can either rotate or even be on the pitch together. It’s not about replacement it’s about competition and always buying better than what you already have. 

Absolutely, that was my point.

It's all about improvement.

I like McGinn but he's too inconsistent.

45 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

According to the Times, Southampton are ready to spurn any offer we make.

I would expect nothing less from them at the start of negotiations. If JWP wants out they will change their tune, and perhaps after year's of treading water he is ready for something new. The issue is the long contract of course, but no one wants to keep an unhappy player.

Â