James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

Or,

Luiz/Nakamba

JWP            Sanson 

We need options, and signing JWP from a rival is a major statement of intent.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

According to the PL statistics JWP has 14 more tackles in one less game than McGinn.

JWP has a 6% higher tackle success than McGinn in again one less game.

JWP has 288 recoveries, McGinn 234.

Importantly, JWP doubles McGinn for average passes per match, it's a major weakness of McGinn who gives the ball away far too much.

Most importantly his set-pieces would be a real asset and his goals and assists which all trump McGinn.

Premier League statistics @Kiwivillan go check it out, the truth is out there!

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

You quoted stats I said and then chose other ones then did mic drop gif. You need to earn that. 

McGinn does lose the ball more often. 

McGinn dribbles 85/52 attempted/ successful vs JWP 23/17

McGinn take ons 77/52 attempted/ successful vs JWP 22/17

You're going to lose the ball more if you driving forward near 4 times as much. 

I love how you've framed an argument to rubbish one of our players in favour of a player from another club we haven't signed and have the most tenuous of links with

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

If this rumour has any substance, which I still think it doesn't, the only possible way would be the agent. Which means the same guy who arranged the 5 year deal last season so if he's floating this means he's screwing us and potentially the player if doesn't happen and player's club if he gets the hump. Long story short football player's agents are pond scum.

That said still think it's a made up link

I don’t know much tbf, just thought it was interesting. 

15 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Or,

Luiz/Nakamba

JWP            Sanson 

We need options, and signing JWP from a rival is a major statement of intent.

I would bet money Smith doesn't operate a dedicated DCM based on he barely ever does and besides I don't understand the fascination on here. I really enjoyed Whelan playing that role in Championship but that was because we had no choice with the players available. 

Edited by Kiwivillan

Has there been any other press speculation on this since the original Grauniad report and then denial from a local Journo? 

I could see us dropping £40m on him if we do want him, but until there are more substantial reports I'll treat this as one over excitable journalist taking a punt and hoping there's something in it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Has there been any other press speculation on this since the original Grauniad report and then denial from a local Journo? 

I could see us dropping £40m on him if we do want him, but until there are more substantial reports I'll treat this as one over excitable journalist taking a punt and hoping there's something in it. 

No I mentioned that earlier. Not a peep out of Paul Doyle on his Twitter and the only coverage after his article were other sites referencing him. 

I'm treating this like every Grealish to Man City article

Edited by Kiwivillan

6 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

You quoted stats I said and then chose other ones then did mic drop gif. You need to earn that. 

McGinn does lose the ball more often. 

McGinn dribbles 85/52 attempted/ successful vs JWP 23/17

McGinn take ons 77/52 attempted/ successful vs JWP 22/17

You're going to lose the ball more if you driving forward near 4 times as much. 

I love how you've framed an argument to rubbish one of our players in favour of a player from another club we haven't signed and have the most tenuous of links with

The relevancy of passing statistics, goals and assists were the focus for my comparison.

As I say McGinn is poor at that, many agree. It's not personal at all it just is a major weakness of Villa i.e retaining the ball, passing and goalscoring midfielders. JWP would seem like a remedy to that particular problem.

I just want Villa to improve, if JWP improves us then great.

It's a forum, we debate it's the purpose of VT. Otherwise what is the point?

Maybe it's a tenuous link, does not mean VT police should stop us discussing the merits of players at all.

• Thanks 1

Paul Doyle was the same journalist that started the rumour last summer that Sawiris was going to buy Portugese club Vitória de Guimarães, and then nothing else was heard of it again. I don't think he just randomly made it up, but does make me wonder if someone feeds him rumours as some sort of distraction technique or something, maybe have people think we're in for Ward-Prowse when in fact it's Sarr that we we want - although not really sure what purpose that would serve.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes, it’s been reported in other papers. By James Nursey, so large pinch of salt, but incorrect to say only Paul Doyle has mentioned the name. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Paul Doyle was the same journalist that started the rumour last summer that Sawiris was going to buy Portugese club Vitória de Guimarães, and then nothing else was heard of it again. I don't think he just randomly made it up, but does make me wonder if someone feeds him rumours as some sort of distraction technique or something, maybe have people think we're in for Ward-Prowse when in fact it's Sarr that we we want - although not really sure what purpose that would serve.

I was immediately suspicious of Twitter account with no noticeable history of transfer rumours that does article saying "it's understood that Villa want to sign more midfielders" then transitioning into JWP is top free kick taker days after Grealish comments. 

He'll probably get a pay rise for all the click bait content he's generated and no one will hold it against him and blame Southampton for standing in the way and the circle of life transfer rumour bollocks will continue season after season. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, useless said:

*walks gingerly into the trap* you know the negotiations in Portugal are ongoing, right? 

SkyBet has Villa at 5/2 favourites for Ward Prowse. 

43 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I would imagine it'll be in the £30-35million mark, if we were able to structure the finances in the same attractive way as we did with Buendia (i.e. a large amount upfront).

I think that could be key to getting a deal. They may not want to sell but could have to raise money. Also any money that is still available to reinvest makes a cash deal more attractive to them early in the window. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Enda said:

Yes, it’s been reported in other papers. By James Nursey, so large pinch of salt, but incorrect to say only Paul Doyle has mentioned the name. 

Nursey is referencing Doyle article so meaningless and Nursey is a rocket polisher anyway

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

SkyBet has Villa at 5/2 favourites for Ward Prowse

Buendia was 4/11 to join Arsenal before they suspended the market

Can I get odds on JWP not signing for us. That sounds like free money

Edited by Kiwivillan

The Guardian aren't really a newslet that I'd typically associate with clickbait, and looking at Doyle's previous articles he doesn't seem to deal in that kind of thing as an individual either.

Just now, Awol said:

Yes, you’re not convinced the rumour is true. I’ve got it. Saying that over and over again won’t stop us discussing it though. 

Can I bet on him not signing. I'm serious on this

I don't know anything about Doyle, but when Percy reports something it's usually pretty solid (I'm not saying he reported this, I have no idea if he did or not)

Â