James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

Ward-Prowse wouldn't cost fifty or sixty million, players of his type just don't sell for that much, Wolves only want £40m for Neves according to John Percy, I actually rate Ward-Prowse as the better player but in general I think most would rate them as being on a similar level, some might say Neves as better if he can recapture his earlier form for Wolves.

Also have to look at Southampton's situation, they haven't got a very team at the moment and it would be no great surprise if they were in a relegation battle next season with a serious threat of actually going down, so they really could do with strengthening their team to improve, something I'm not sure they can do without selling a player, Ward-Prowse would bring the most in, and if they spent wisely they could improve their team overall and give them a better chance of surviving.

It could be a deal that suits both clubs, similar to the Buendia deal, this is all if we even want him.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

The place i work with has good links with SFC, been chatting with somebody who thinks JWP might want to move on and that his agent contacted Villa.

If this rumour has any substance, which I still think it doesn't, the only possible way would be the agent. Which means the same guy who arranged the 5 year deal last season so if he's floating this means he's screwing us and potentially the player if doesn't happen and player's club if he gets the hump. Long story short football player's agents are pond scum.

That said still think it's a made up link

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

If this rumour has any substance, which I still think it doesn't, the only possible way would be the agent. Which means the same guy who arranged the 5 year deal last season so if he's floating this means he's screwing us and potentially the player if doesn't happen and player's club if he gets the hump. Long story short football player's agents are pond scum.

Not if the player has asked for his agent to look elsewhere?

• Like 1

Would JWP cost £50/£60m if he told them he wanted to leave? What’s his contract got left? 

I could understand him wanting to leave, he’s on the fringes of England and I guarantee he’s fed up of losing 9-0. 

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Not if the player has asked for his agent to look elsewhere?

Doesn't make much sense. Player has buyers remorse after improved wages 5 year deal recently and has been at club since aged 8.

I give zero credence to Grealish to City rumours so excuse me for feeling the same about this one

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Set pieces are a pretty big thing to be dismissive of, especially when we get so many. I’m sure we practice set pieces a lot but it is a natural talent to some extent.  Fine margins and all that. 

Yeah fair enough. I must admit I find it hard to get particularly excited when villa get corner kicks or free kicks as we so rarely seen to score from them (dunno the stats on this but doubt they would prove me wrong)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

Would JWP cost £50/£60m if he told them he wanted to leave? What’s his contract got left? 

I could understand him wanting to leave, he’s on the fringes of England and I guarantee he’s fed up of losing 9-0. 

I think he only signed a new deal late in 2020 for 5 years, so now has four years left on his deal. So he won't be easy to get or be on the cheap.

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Doesn't make much sense. Player has buyers remorse after improved wages 5 year deal recently and has been at club since aged 8.

I give zero credence to Grealish to City rumours so excuse me for feeling the same about this one

You seem really negative about this link?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

For someone convinced this is made up, you seem to have made up a lot of stuff yourself of which you seem very sure!

• Like 2

Everyone knows that if the player wants to leave then contracts become less relevant, gone are the days where the clubs hold the cards.  Lets be honest, if Jack did decide he wanted to go to Man City, we would be compensated but powerless to keep him without the potential for disruption to the "feel good" factor.

Personally, I think this has legs and could seen JWP looking to progress in a club with more ambition than Southampton.  At the same time, Southampton have to be at least seen to put up some form of fight otherwise things get poisonous.  However, I think they need the money to invest (or not based on their Chinese ownership).

Fits the profile, has benefits for all involved, only thing against it is I think Kiwi Villain (reading between the lines!)

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Does that matter? We’re boosting our assists and goals with Buendia. 

If you are talking goals, with Grealish being the most fouled player in the league, and JWP to finish them off we’re adding at least 10-13 goals to the team per season, maybe more. Plus if defenders realise this and avoid fouling Jack, it just gives him license to rip defences apart. Either way it would add significant firepower to our forward line.

Yeah but most of Grealish fouls are outside the danger area.

When he gets into those danger areas players tends to not foul him.

If he doesn't offer much in open play i'm not too sure how keen I am.

Tbh i think Sanson will have a great season, not sure we need another 8

Edited by villalad21

I'm not sure why we're comparing him to McGinn when he seems to play in the Luiz/Nakamba position.

EDIT: I remember Smith playing similar types of players there for Brentford. But then maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by Rolta

I agree with Kiwivillan I don’t think there is anything to this. I asked a lad in work who’s got some links (he is named James) and he said he hadn’t heard anything about and that I had to stop asking him or he’d be reporting me to HR. So I just can’t see it being true.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I'm not sure why we're comparing him to McGinn when he seems to play in the Luiz/Nakamba position.

Because McGinn gives the ball away too much and thus invites pressure on the defence.

JWP stacks up better for me statistically, it's his successful passes which is most remarkable in comparison to McGinn.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

1 minute ago, Rolta said:

If (if) he signed, we've basically got some great rotation options in the middle of the park in Luiz/McGinn/Nakamba/Sanson/Ward-Prowse with Ramsey/Chukwuemeka as youth prospects.

My gut feeling is Ward-Prowse plays ahead of Romeu (who would be the Luiz/Nakamba position), though.

Â