James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

15 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

The place i work with has good links with SFC, been chatting with somebody who thinks JWP might want to move on and that his agent contacted Villa.

They are calling us now! Awesome. It’s happening everybody!!!

55 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Compare the stats, JWP trumps McGinn. His WhoScored rating is also higher.

JWP scores more goals gets more assists and ultimately he keeps the ball way better than McGinn.

Obvious upgrade.

Now whether there is any truth in it?

JWP is 100% better than McGinn and is clearly an upgrade based on last seasons form.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

JWP belongs at a top 6 club (us maaaaaaaybeeee?) - looks every part as effective as any other midfielder at the club, plus he has his set piece super power - might be a big outlay but the difference he would make in tight games could be huge for us. He's the sort of targeted addition top clubs make. 

Yep, I love McGinn but JWP is a better player. Rotating those two with Sanson & Chuk really sorts us out in the 8 role with a high energy, pressing midfield. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I think of his 8 goals last season 5 were free kicks and 2 penalties

and we scored exactly zero from direct free kicks yes? So adding a bunch of goals from set pieces sounds good to me, especially with Jack being fouled constantly.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

It’d be interesting to see how many free kicks Southampton were awarded last season compared to Villa. JWP scored 5 from their total, I would imagine our total is significantly higher and that he’d have the opportunity to probably double his free kick attempts at Villa. 

Gut feeling that many of our won free kicks weren't that central.  Majority probably on Grealish in a wide area.  Not to say that having a set piece taker as good as Ward-Prowse wouldn't be a big advantage (he can cross well too, after all) but looking at free kick numbers isn't the right comparison.  Area of the pitch would give you more of an idea - and didn't Ward-Prowse score one from an angle against us?

(WhoScored reckons 553 fouls against Aston Villa (1st in the league) and 421 for Southampton (5th)).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

and we scored exactly zero from direct free kicks yes? So adding a bunch of goals from set pieces sounds good to me, especially with Jack being fouled constantly.

Agreed and now Emi will win a fair few free kick's too....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Does that matter? We’re boosting our assists and goals with Buendia. 

If you are talking goals, with Grealish being the most fouled player in the league, and JWP to finish them off we’re adding at least 10-13 goals to the team per season, maybe more. Plus if defenders realise this and avoid fouling Jack, it just gives him license to rip defences apart. Either way it would add significant firepower to our forward line.

We can now add Emi Buendia to the fouls count. JWP seems such a logical addition. I think he also adds an element of control to the midfield, which we’ve lacked. Hardworking too, got Smith written all over it. Get it done. 

31 minutes ago, John said:

If we did sign him, I don't think we would have had anyone as effective in scoring from a free kick themselves, since the days of Bruce Rioch

Born is the king of Villa Park. 🎶 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Not sure why we’re debating who is better between McGinn and JWP when they would play together if we signed him. 

Doug?

His signing and the resulting fear of conceding free kicks may also have the added benefit of Jack not getting so much physical abuse. 

Maybe then he can last more of the season!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, hippo said:

Would he be the first double barrel named villa player ?

(Djemba, Djemba doesn't count !) 

We've had a few. Why wouldn't Djemba-Djemba count?

People have named some of our recent youngsters, but you can go back 100 years to our first one, William Barnie-Adshead, he played a couple of games for us at centre half. He was only at the club for less than a week, joining us from Corinthians, and going back there a few days later. Got a goal for us though, and went on to play cricket for Worcestershire, qualified as a surgeon, and became the mayor of Dudley. Interesting chap.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

We've had a few. Why wouldn't Djemba-Djemba count?

People have named some of our recent youngsters, but you can go back 100 years to our first one, William Barnie-Adshead, he played a couple of games for us at centre half. He was only at the club for less than a week, joining us from Corinthians, and going back there a few days later. Got a goal for us though, and went on to play cricket for Worcestershire, qualified as a surgeon, and became the mayor of Dudley. Interesting chap.

Wow !

"There's only one William Barnie-Adshead" 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I can't see this one happening but I think it would be a great signing.

It would basically be like having a premier league version of Hourihane in the Championship.

He'd be our best central midfielder (classing Jack and Buendia as wide players)

yep, i think ur right!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tez500 said:

Southampton are a selling club, always have been. Lallana, Mane, VVD, Hojbjerg etc. If we want JWP and the price is right they will listen to offers.

prob is tho they usually ensure top dollar when selling.

I would really like JWP, but not for 50/60m or something.

I would take him for something in the 30s.

Â