James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Another one that Arsenal wanted but never completed.

He’s got some real talent. He just didn’t get much play before a knee injury knocked him out for the end of last season. No real time to acclimate himself to the PL. look at Bertie, it took awhile for him to fully get into the swing of things. A full, healthy, summer with the squad under his belt will do him wonders.

Traore scored one of the goals of the season on debut......just saying.

• Like 2

Southampton fans are saying all the same tgi gs Norwich fans were saying before Buendia joined us.

Deluded, sideways move, no chance, Grealish is off then etc...

I'm not sure JWP is the man for us or not but this a club a fraction of our size, and who are well known for selling their best players. Sounds eerily familiar.

47 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I’m struggling to understand how some ppl can’t see how JWP would improve us by at least another rung or two on the ladder. A player with absolute top quality set piece delivery who also gets around the midfield for the entirety of games pressing the opposition tirelessly. And that in a fairly ordinary Southampton side with only Ings as the real touch of class in the forward line. Put him in our side with the likes of Watkins, Grealish, and Buendia in front of him and he’ll look instantly like he belongs. Top player that we should be delirious if we can obtain.

Its opinions but I really rate him and hope we get him. 

6 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

agreed, the links have gone fairly quiet though.

It’s a dance. If it’s real then will probably take a week or two to play out. 

26 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Southampton fans are saying all the same tgi gs Norwich fans were saying before Buendia joined us.

Deluded, sideways move, no chance, Grealish is off then etc...

I'm not sure JWP is the man for us or not but this a club a fraction of our size, and who are well known for selling their best players. Sounds eerily familiar.

I have to say I don’t understand this mindset at all. I don’t think it’s arrogant to say you don’t even need to have been paying attention the last 3 years to see how ambitious a club we are, you only have to have been paying attention the last 3 days. Is there something specific about our club that leads people to believe that we’re not worthy of pushing?

When Everton first started making waves, I don’t remember thinking they’re taking taking the piss. I don’t remember anyone thinking it actually. It’s very odd. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I have to say I don’t understand this mindset at all. I don’t think it’s arrogant to say you don’t even need to have been paying attention the last 3 years to see how ambitious a club we are, you only have to have been paying attention the last 3 days. Is there something specific about our club that leads people to believe that we’re not worthy of pushing?

When Everton first started making waves, I don’t remember thinking they’re taking taking the piss. I don’t remember anyone thinking it actually. It’s very odd. 

I think it's jealousy. Everton have been in and around the top 8 for what seems like 2 decades. We were circling the drain and/or struggling to get out of the Championship for about a decade ourselves. What we've done in a relatively short space of time is causing a lot of cognitive dissonance. They don't want to accept that they've been doing nothing and treading water all these years and here come plucky upstarts Villa trying to overtake them within 3.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whether we get him or not is one thing but I really liked his tenacity and tackling against Romania. If that's what he brings along with his good passing, positioning and his set pieces then yes please.

As with most windows, you’d imagine we have a list of players that interest us in each position. I’d guess JWP is the number one midfielder we want and have enquired about his availability. I’d guess Southampton will have told us to jog on. No doubt we’ll keep trying, but if we don’t succeed, who has similar attributes that would possibly be next on the list? 

52 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think it's jealousy. Everton have been in and around the top 8 for what seems like 2 decades. We were circling the drain and/or struggling to get out of the Championship for about a decade ourselves. What we've done in a relatively short space of time is causing a lot of cognitive dissonance. They don't want to accept that they've been doing nothing and treading water all these years and here come plucky upstarts Villa trying to overtake them within 3.

It's 100% jealousy...  The narrative will change to "Villa just bought their success like a wannabe Man City", other jealous fans are already grumbling about how much money we've spent since being promoted.  Just wait until we finally crack the Champions League places within a few years.  Most will be clamoring for more FFP regulations further preventing owners like ours from disrupting the status quo.  

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It’s because we spent a few seasons outside of the top flight, it seems to have really knocked back our status among some folks.

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Sounds like you want both a destroyer and a playmaker in the same package.

I'm not sure this player even exist.

I don’t need him to be a playmaker but for us to be where we want to be *when on the front foot* we need someone who doesn’t slow the whole move down every time they get the ball. I love having him in the team when we are playing a top team but against most he’s just not comfortable enough on the ball. It’s like  Neil Taylor - good at his primary job but ultimate if you want to play good football and attack teams you need your ‘destroyer’ to be able to get the ball, give the ball, get the ball, give the ball without needing multiple touches every time or having to turn in a full circle because the only pass he can play is with the inside of his dominant foot.

Kante would be nice but I mean even someone like Gavin McCann could do the above more effectively than Nakamba. Again though he’s a valuable member of the squad and in games where we need a spoiler he’s absolutely excellent - as shown by the record with him in the team.

Im very happy with where our midfield is though so the good news is we only need to sign quality. In fact there’s only two or three positions in the squad where we just need a PL level body - that’s a massive turnaround and people like Marv have played a big role in it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

I here come plucky upstarts Villa trying to overtake them within 3.

We’re like an E Type Jag, found in a farmyard and loving restored by classic car enthusiasts. They just fitted a flux capacitor and we’re all going back to the future. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I don’t need him to be a playmaker but for us to be where we want to be *when on the front foot* we need someone who doesn’t slow the whole move down every time they get the ball. I love having him in the team when we are playing a top team but against most he’s just not comfortable enough on the ball. It’s like  Neil Taylor - good at his primary job but ultimate if you want to play good football and attack teams you need your ‘destroyer’ to be able to get the ball, give the ball, get the ball, give the ball without needing multiple touches every time or having to turn in a full circle because the only pass he can play is with the inside of his dominant foot.

Kante would be nice but I mean even someone like Gavin McCann could do the above more effectively than Nakamba. Again though he’s a valuable member of the squad and in games where we need a spoiler he’s absolutely excellent - as shown by the record with him in the team.

Im very happy with where our midfield is though so the good news is we only need to sign quality. In fact there’s only two or three positions in the squad where we just need a PL level body - that’s a massive turnaround and people like Marv have played a big role in it.

The passing thing could be down to a lack of match fitness.

May be wrong but i can't remember Nakamba getting more than 2-3 concecutive matches together before being dropped despite playing well.

Everything he got to to is to win the ball and play the simplest ball there is to his closest man. Like Carrick used to do.

• Like 1

Â