James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

I just don't see how he fixes the problem of the midfield being too easy to play through. Whenever I watch him he just seems like Hourihane, just better. But still not the player to fix the midfield imbalance. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Don’t forget Sanson, seems to be getting overlooked… we have enough box to box MFs, could do with a different option in there…

This is a very valid point.

I know stats can be very misleading, but take a look at this:

https://fbref.com/tiny/y8rj4

If Sanson brings what he did in France, then we have a quality player there - his defensive contribution is phenomenal along with his attacking contribution - but the Premier League is very different.

What stands out about JWP is  the amount of involvement he has in games - He sees the ball A LOT compared to our boys.  I'm not sure why that is? Tactical set up?

I'm not convinced we're in for him either to be honest.  I think we're going to give Sanson a proper go this season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

I just don't see how he fixes the problem of the midfield being too easy to play through. Whenever I watch him he just seems like Hourihane, just better. But still not the player to fix the midfield imbalance. 

I got some encouragement watching Nakamba the last 2 games tbh

Think he's been a bit harshly treated and deserves a crack at making that number 6 role his own.

• Like 3

Just a gut feeling but Sanson seems a bit like that jacket you like but is too expensive, then suddenly you see it in a sale and buy it, but never wear it.  I hope I'm wrong and admit it's probably a load of bollocks to say at this stage.  I can see why JWP would interest Dean, it's a bit like wondering whether we really needed Martinez but it was obvious early on he would win us points.  Better set piece delivery will win us points also and he impressed against us.  It weakens one of the mid-table rivals too.  I suspect if there is a sniff of him being available, NSWE will give Dean what he wants.

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

Just a gut feeling but Sanson seems a bit like that jacket you like but is too expensive, then suddenly you see it in a sale and buy it, but never wear it.  I hope I'm wrong and admit it's probably a load of bollocks to say at this stage.  I can see why JWP would interest Dean, it's a bit like wondering whether we really needed Martinez but it was obvious early on he would win us points.  Better set piece delivery will win us points also and he impressed against us.  It weakens one of the mid-table rivals too.  I suspect if there is a sniff of him being available, NSWE will give Dean what he wants.

We need another 6.

We only have 1 atm

1 hour ago, Pissflaps said:

Inspiring Tim Tebow GIF by Home Free

• Thanks 1

I’m not judging Sanson here but in his brief time on the pitch I don’t think he impressed, obviously tough coming into a new league midway through a season, didn’t help that we went off the rails a bit when he was playing too but it’s possible that he hasn’t been showing it in training either to date, fingers crossed he benefits from a proper pre season etc.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Think he's been a bit harshly treated and deserves a crack at making that number 6 role his own.

I just don’t see the point in playing him if we want to be on the front foot more in games (and evidently, neither does Dean).

He’s a good option for when we are pressured and pushed back to help us out defensively (which is why he played and did well against the likes of Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea when we were struggling without Barkley and/or Grealish - the absence of that quality CAM throughout the season affected us hugely also) but he doesn’t help progress the play, he is best at breaking up attacks, closing down, getting tackles and interceptions in. But he can’t dictate possession and the flow of the game, doesn’t possess the quality on the ball and passing ability required for such a player.

Luiz is better in that aspect but not as good defensively. Lacks the imposing statute and strength to be a dominant DM but has what it takes to be a DLP…  which Dean seems to favour…

Again, if we could combine those players into 1 we would have a top class individual… worth looking for that option in the market, I don’t want to see us as outmuscled and overpowered next season…

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’m not judging Sanson here but in his brief time on the pitch I don’t think he impressed, obviously tough coming into a new league midway through a season, didn’t help that we went off the rails a bit when he was playing too but it’s possible that he hasn’t been showing it in training either to date, fingers crossed he benefits from a proper pre season etc.

Give him time… he is quite renowned for being a quality player and been linked with big moves in the past…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Give him time… he is quite renowned for being a quality player and been linked with big moves in the past…

Of course, as I opened my point with, I’m not judging him based on what we’ve seen to date but if I comment honestly on what we’ve seen, there’s not been much to get too excited over. Hopefully he settles in and shows his capabilities next season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Another one that Arsenal wanted but never completed.

He’s got some real talent. He just didn’t get much play before a knee injury knocked him out for the end of last season. No real time to acclimate himself to the PL. look at Bertie, it took awhile for him to fully get into the swing of things. A full, healthy, summer with the squad under his belt will do him wonders.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I think we need better myself. Hes a good squad player 

56 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I just don’t see the point in playing him if we want to be on the front foot more in games (and evidently, neither does Dean).

He’s a good option for when we are pressured and pushed back to help us out defensively (which is why he played and did well against the likes of Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea when we were struggling without Barkley and/or Grealish - the absence of that quality CAM throughout the season affected us hugely also) but he doesn’t help progress the play, he is best at breaking up attacks, closing down, getting tackles and interceptions in. But he can’t dictate possession and the flow of the game, doesn’t possess the quality on the ball and passing ability required for such a player.

Luiz is better in that aspect but not as good defensively. Lacks the imposing statute and strength to be a dominant DM but has what it takes to be a DLP…  which Dean seems to favour…

Again, if we could combine those players into 1 we would have a top class individual… worth looking for that option in the market, I don’t want to see us as outmuscled and overpowered next season…

Sounds like you want both a destroyer and a playmaker in the same package.

I'm not sure this player even exist.

11 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Not sure we are even looking for one tbh

West Ham are linked with more DM'S than we are and they already got Rice and Soucek

4 hours ago, troon_villan said:

If he doesn't have any legs then why are we even bothering to pursue him?  Surely we could find someone more suitable?

Would you be mad at club not pursuing him if this is made up rumour?

18 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Pape Sarr as the understudy to Dougie, pushing him for the shirt. I think Marv and AEG could both move in this summer and if JWP is part of that shake up I’ll be delighted. He was superb for England last night. 

• Like 1

Â