James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I find it slightly annoying that an injured Sanson is probably the reason we can't bring in a player like Ward Prowse. Never really got that signing. 

Sorry but why can’t we bring in a player like Ward-Prowse? Who actually said we can’t?

I would rather some else: Anguissa, Bissouma, Sarr, Doucoure (and today McKennie) all suggest they have different attributes but better defensive ones with a good progressive element to them and possibly higher ceiling, and they would be cheaper. JWP is English and on the cusp of being an international which does count for a lot, especially in value terms.

But I also want Damsgaard too.

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I find it slightly annoying that an injured Sanson is probably the reason we can't bring in a player like Ward Prowse. Never really got that signing. 

an injured sanson is another reason to sign JWP. It's not replacing one midfielder with another, we are trying to build a squad. 

What price he is he'll be overpriced. You pay a premium for a player who you know will settle in straight away and make an instant impact. I would prefer to trust the scouts to sign two player from abroad for the same money but I guess wages need to be factored in too. 

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Well, we didn't sign him to be injured :P

I don't have an opinion on this signing. I hadn't really heard of him, but here's what i think.

JWP is a player who plays for Southampton. I think he is good at free kicks from reading this thread and i recall him scoring goals against us last season or the season before. £50 million seems like too much. We should be trying to get Frank Lampard for that kind of money.

I would say keep the money and invest it in Ethereum and S&P500

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

I mean, to everyone who says he will improve our ball retention and complains about the passing of our existing midfield...

F095345C-DBA0-41CB-9B9A-02071CA55123.thumb.jpeg.7d820195f20faa5c14283e227d0aba92.jpeg

That's because FBRef count crosses and set pieces in their pass completion %, stats where a completion stat of 25%+ is very good, and JWP has the most dead ball passes in the league, so naturally his total % is going to be dragged down a bit. His short and medium pass % are both around 90.3% which is pretty good.

Even if we take that stat at face value, it's still better than McGinn's 77%.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

That's because FBRef count crosses and set pieces in their pass completion %, stats where a completion stat of 25%+ is very good, and JWP has the most dead ball passes in the league, so naturally his total % is going to be dragged down a bit. His short and medium pass % are both around 90.3% which is pretty good.

Even if we take that stat at face value, it's still better than McGinn's 77%.

I see your point, but both Nakamba and Dougie have %’s for short and medium passes basically at 90% and that doesn’t stop a fair chunk of this forum moaning about it...

29 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

I see your point, but both Nakamba and Dougie have %’s for short and medium passes basically at 90% and that doesn’t stop a fair chunk of this forum moaning about it...

Exhibit A. We all know Nakamba is horrible on the ball, yet somehow his short/medium range passing isn't half as atrocious statistically as you would think. How we go about interpreting that data and amalgamating it with the eye test is where the magic happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KangarooVillan said:

I mean, to everyone who says he will improve our ball retention and complains about the passing of our existing midfield...

F095345C-DBA0-41CB-9B9A-02071CA55123.thumb.jpeg.7d820195f20faa5c14283e227d0aba92.jpeg

He attempts signifcantly more passes than McGinn/Luiz do. He also attempts many progressive passes (ie those into penalty box or 10 yards further forward than the last 6 passes). these have more risk / reward, McGinn does lots of these too and that impacts his completed passes stats. 

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Exhibit A. We all know Nakamba is horrible on the ball, yet somehow his short/medium range passing isn't half as atrocious statistically as you would think. How we go about interpreting that data and amalgamating it with the eye test is where the magic happens.

My interpretation would be most of his passes are safe sideways and backward passes. As evidenced by his pathetically low progressive passing stats.

It also means that when he does misplace one of these safe passes, it puts a lot more pressure on the defence than one of Mcginn's searching long balls forwards for instance.

To some extent, I also think that sometimes we just buy into narratives of players that simply are not true. I distinctly remember people thinking Ross Barkley would add "bite" to our midfield before he joined us or that Bertrand Traore was fast. The eye test isn't free from bias after all, perhaps Nakamba really isn't as bad at passing as we think he is.

1 hour ago, YLN said:

I don't have an opinion on this signing. I hadn't really heard of him, but here's what i think.

JWP is a player who plays for Southampton. I think he is good at free kicks from reading this thread and i recall him scoring goals against us last season or the season before. £50 million seems like too much. We should be trying to get Frank Lampard for that kind of money.

I would say keep the money and invest it in Ethereum and S&P500

I think we would get him for a lot less, after all he is 43 now...:D 

I remember HDE once said that he had matched an £11m Chelsea bid for Frank, he had waited until the player had signed his contract before he had put that bid in though, just to be 100% sure that he would not actually have had to find the £11m. :rolleyes:  

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

To some extent, I also think that sometimes we just buy into narratives of players that simply are not true. I distinctly remember people thinking Ross Barkley would add "bite" to our midfield before he joined us or that Bertrand Traore was fast. The eye test isn't free from bias after all, perhaps Nakamba really isn't as bad at passing as we think he is.

Except to say that once we watched those players in a Villa shirt, we quickly realised that Bertrand Traore wasn't fast and Ross Barkley had less bite than yer nan after she has plonked her teeth in the glass.

I was guilty of falling for the narrative around Barkley myself, despite his physicality I had never really noticed him having 'bite' in the past, but enough people were saying it that I thought it must be true to some extent. It was never in the numbers either. 

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He attempts signifcantly more passes than McGinn/Luiz do. He also attempts many progressive passes (ie those into penalty box or 10 yards further forward than the last 6 passes). these have more risk / reward, McGinn does lots of these too and that impacts his completed passes stats. 

I don’t really know what your point is about him attempting significantly more passes other than he gets more touches? Especially considering these stats are averaged over a year.

His progressive passes would mostly be his free kicks and corners that are successful...

Â