Families

mjmooney

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I do think that being an only child made me both selfish and self-sufficient. Swings and roundabouts. 

I’m pretty selfish. I’m also easily pleased and can handle being on my own and enjoying my own company. Might stem from being an only child. 

• Like 3

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

I’m pretty selfish. I’m also easily pleased and can handle being on my own and enjoying my own company. Might stem from being an only child. 

Yep, describes me exactly. 

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Exactly and in no way has he or my neglectful parents shaped me in any way. The only effect is I have an aversion to nostalgia. 

But you listen to country music!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

They actually refused to go to her wedding

My Grandfather's Irish parents refused to go to his chapel wedding. Caused a permanent rift. 1930's Boston was still a powder keg of tension between Catholic/Protestant.

56 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Fits me to a tee as well, even if I'm not an only child.

It's always been a bit of an annoyance really cause socially it's a bit unacceptable to be happy by yourself. And in relationships it's forcing me to continously focus on whether I'm 'doing my thing' or showing interest in her. It's stupid, but also hard cause I really need my own space and time to find 'balance' and not lose my shit.

On the other hand it made me love working out, go fishing and collect random stuff 😂

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

58 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I live alone and could happily live alone for the rest of my life. 

Its not that I don't like people, I value my friendships, but i'm happy to live in my own space and do exactly what I want. I guess i'm almost conditioned now! I don't think i'd respond well to sharing a living space. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Xela said:

Also, I don't agree with the old saying that "blood is thicker than water". For overseas readers, its an old English medieval saying that family ties should be stronger than any other relationship you have.

Nah. Don't agree. Why should you put up with shit just because you are related? 

You sound like someone who has a "friends are the family we choose" fridge magnet 😉

Its true though, I'm lucky enough to have a good relationship with both, the relationship I have with my lads group and my brother is very different, I'm closer to them but it is deeper with him 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Xela said:

Also, I don't agree with the old saying that "blood is thicker than water". For overseas readers, its an old English medieval saying that family ties should be stronger than any other relationship you have.

As an only child I'm no expert, but I have seen that saying illustrated with (say) brothers who don't get along at all, but will close ranks if attacked by an outsider. It does happen. It's like: "I'm allowed to beat the crap out of our kid, but nobody else is". 

Edited by mjmooney

Married 22 years now with kids aged 20 and 18. Waiting for them to take their own step towards life.
No drama here. I get on with the whole lot. Parents, In-laws, everyone. The only strange bit about it is me and my brother, we are more like cousins. We get on great but not really close. Born 6 years apart and grew up with 24/7 ice-hockey and now we both do IT for a living but still. It's strange. Ah well, it works.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

As an only child I'm no expert, but I have seen that saying illustrated with (say) brothers who don't get along at all, but will close ranks if attacked by an outsider. It does happen. It's like: "I'm allowed to beat the crap out of our kid, but nobody else is". 

Yes this definitely is the case . Seen it a few times where family members who are not close join forces when attacked in whichever way.  I kind of had to learn to stick up for myself quick, because no dad , no brothers and not from a family which was known to stick up for each other, so it was left down to me to fight my own battles. 

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Fits me to a tee as well, even if I'm not an only child.

It's always been a bit of an annoyance really cause socially it's a bit unacceptable to be happy by yourself. And in relationships it's forcing me to continously focus on whether I'm 'doing my thing' or showing interest in her. It's stupid, but also hard cause I really need my own space and time to find 'balance' and not lose my shit.

On the other hand it made me love working out, go fishing and collect random stuff 😂

Same here mate. It often causes conflict in our relationship. I leave her be which annoys her, but I’m quite happy to be left alone . I can go days/weeks without a cuddle or any emotional involvement.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Xela said:

Then you would subscribe to the alternate form/meaning of the saying that goes, "The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb." 

15 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Haven't spoken to my daughter for 14 years pretty much. Her choice.

I tried at first but got nowhere and now I'm in a better place with a better partner it's definitely her loss.

I lose no sleep over it at all. My two sons make up for it, both good lads.

Crazy isn’t it. Why doesn’t she make the effort? Did your ex turn her against you or summat . 

I've been quite lucky with my family.  I love my Dad though I've never really liked him that much if that makes sense, but he provided everything for us.  I suspect Mum and Dad fell out of love with each other a long time ago as he would always be quick to put her down with a snide comment but he was there for her right to the end of her battle with cancer.  He is due to get remarried in August which I'm glad as I wouldn't want to see him be miserable for the next 20 years but it's obviously a bit daunting getting a new step family and tbh seeing him being a lot nicer to his fiancee compared to my Mum hurts a bit.  My brothers are good mates and are very similar to me, so no issues there, bar my sister-in-law after a few pints.  My Nanna passed away last Friday aged 100 and I have no grandparents left now so we are a pretty small unit, with just 2 cousins.  Getting new step brothers and a step sister will be a bit weird and I'm not sure if I can be arsed.

• Like 3

On 01/06/2021 at 14:43, Rugeley Villa said:

Crazy isn’t it. Why doesn’t she make the effort? Did your ex turn her against you or summat . 

I think that was part of it.

Haven't properly spoken to my brother for years.  Don't miss him one bit.  On the rare occasion we have spoken its to tell him dad was in hospital and his usual excuse comes out - I'm a 2 hour drive away so I can't come.  Once the old man does go I'll quite happily never speak to him again.

• Like 1

Â