Dwight McNeil

tomav84

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I am unsure on his potential, but I do think we need to be looking around the Fifa 21 80+ mark for new recruits.

Football Manager is much better and accurate scout material than Fifa..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, villalad21 said:

Football Manager is much better and accurate scout material than Fifa..

I'm not really well up on that sort of stuff.....but just trying to raise the bar a bit.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Surprised at how lukewarm the reaction towards him has been here, I think he is a really classy footballer and would be a big addition. However would be surprised in Burnley sold for less than £40m and if they did then it could be the end of the road for their PL run.

when I have watched Burnley, he doesn't seem to be that involved to me.....now that might mean, I don't see that much of him.

However, wingers by definition, do tend to flit in and out of games, but If I recall, he does seem to stay on the ball better than many wingers.

just not sure, but tend to think , Burnley will want a premium price for him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

when I have watched Burnley, he doesn't seem to be that involved to me.....now that might mean, I don't see that much of him.

However, wingers by definition, do tend to flit in and out of games, but If I recall, he does seem to stay on the ball better than many wingers.

just not sure, but tend to think , Burnley will want a premium price for him.

Why haven't any top clubs been in for him?

Sorry but whenever i've watched Burnley he has not stood out to me.

Hope there's nothing in this. McNeil won't take us to the next level. Won't improve our starting eleven. Would be more of a quantity signing this one.

1 hour ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Surprised at how lukewarm the reaction towards him has been here, I think he is a really classy footballer and would be a big addition. However would be surprised in Burnley sold for less than £40m and if they did then it could be the end of the road for their PL run.

Burnley have been surviving without McNeil for years, so why would selling him suddenly be the end of their PL run? lol

They always find a way, Dyche deserves plaudits.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Burnley have been surviving without McNeil for years, so why would selling him suddenly be the end of their PL run? lol

They always find a way, Dyche deserves plaudits.

I'd say it would be a case of if McNeil gets sold Dyche would walk. 

• Like 1

Good player for sure but dosen't quite strike me as a pure match winner which is a quality I'd like us to have from one of our signings this season.

Mind you Milner had a similar profile when we signed him from Newcastle and he took 12 months to develop into one of best midfielders in the league.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Why haven't any top clubs been in for him?

Sorry but whenever i've watched Burnley he has not stood out to me.

Hope there's nothing in this. McNeil won't take us to the next level. Won't improve our starting eleven. Would be more of a quantity signing this one.

He'll still be 21 at the start of next season.  If we signed him I think we would improve him and he would end up being a top signing. I have faith in our coaching. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Surprised at how lukewarm the reaction towards him has been here

Why are you surprised? He's got a boring English name.

Make him Dwightinha McNeiliano and take my money!

• Haha 2

Do you think he was named after Yorke? Born just after the treble, he’s a Man United fan, and his dad’s from Manchester. 

Anyway, he looks a good player, but doesn’t get me as excited as Buendia. Back the recruitment team to get it right. 

McNeil's crossing is something that we consistently lack. We currently have wingers who are better inverted so crosses would always go towards the keeper. Having someone who crosses the ball away from the keeper would add another bow to our attacking moves.

He wouldn't be my first choice but it's a "makes sense"  type of signing if we get him.

38 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

This is not necessarily an advocacy for McNeil per-se, but I feel as though we should be looking at this slightly differently. Rather than judging a player on his raw numbers, i,.e. the numbers available to us, or whether he's a 'match winner' in his own right or how good he is on FIFA, we should try and look at it in the way I hope the club do. How will he compliment our system? Will he give us what we need to take that next step forward, will he improve the first XI and by definition the squad as a whole? 

In McNeil's case, does he allow us to move Grealish into the 10 role safe in the knowledge that his play down the left will create further space for our magician to wave his wand? Does he have the relevant skills to compliment him and the system, such as close control, playing in tight spaces? Does he perhaps add a different dimension that we currently lack? As an example, for a team who throw a lot of crosses into the box our quality with them is often severely lacking, is that something he can provide? Do we see attributes in him that we can improve upon, to allow him and by extension Aston Villa, to push on? 

There's a lot more to scouting a player than 'he does this or that for his current club and we want/don't want that'. For the first time in over a decade, I trust the club to find the right player(s) to help our continued progression. If that happens to be Dwight McNeil, then great. Get him in. If not, then it will be somebody else and they too will get the same courtesy of my patience. 

Very sensible post. He’s only 21 ffs, at this stage it’s still more about potential than whether he’s been putting in match winning performances every week.

And it’s our weakest position, where even a “mid table” talent is likely to improve our overall output.

On top of that, Smith may feel McNeil isn’t being used correctly by Burnley. That’s basically why we signed Targett isn’t it? Smith saw a player who was undervalued by his own club, and turned him into a top PL defender.

I trust his eye for a player is better than someone on VT who is probably going on about 30 mins of footage and some computer game stats.

• Like 4

Can't see this happening, we've generally made good signings and got value, the likes of Buendia and McNeil you're paying a premium to get a specific player in. If they aren't going to be a guaranteed success we're not throwing £40mil at them imo

Â