Dwight McNeil

tomav84

Not for me. He's got a decent cross and is still very young (21), but doesn't have an awfully lot to his game, isn't very quick, and his speciality (crossing) is reliant on having big men in the box which we don't have. 

Much rather Rashica over McNeil. Available at a decent fee, has pace which we desperately need, and is a decent finisher. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

gregg will always have his history working for the brum mail tarnishing his reputation. my understanding of everything transfer related from the athletic per their policy is that it has to come direct from the club, so i take anything i read on there as genuine. i know i'm massively in the minority though

Interesting, thanks for the insight.

Might be the only one here but this "he's only 21" stuff personally I think wingers are better when they're young, there's not many great wingers who are 28 years old 

There is of course a difference between a winger and a wide man 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Not for me. He's got a decent cross and is still very young (21), but doesn't have an awfully lot to his game, isn't very quick, and his speciality (crossing) is reliant on having big men in the box which we don't have. 

Much rather Rashica of the wingers we've been linked with so far. Available at a decent fee, has pace which we desperately need, and is a decent finisher. 

Agreed.

Players like McNeil will not take us to the next level.

Buendia much, much better player.

• Like 1

He would fit the Villa recruitment brief. Young, hardworking, experienced in the PL, with potential to grow his value (provided we buy at the right price). Because he's coming from Burnley and has less than amazing stats, he won't excite the fans, but it could be that one element of his game in particular is why we want him and he would suit our team better. I haven't seen much of him, but I know Burnley fans rate him very highly - they think he will play for England one day.

Buendia would fit the brief as well and I would imagine he is our number 1 target, with McNeil number 2. I don't know this, just speculating based on the fact Buendia has more impressive stats.

After the recent successes in the transfer market I think the recruitment team probably deserve a bit of trust.

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

I thought maybe the club would be aiming a bit higher this summer for 'oven ready' type signings at a higher price, rather than getting promising young players and coaching them up.

He has 100 PL appearances. 

35 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

I didn't actually mean to quote you 😅 but it was a response to everyone having an instant negative view on a player like they did with Traore last summer. 

My view on the player is that anyone that can look skilful or creative in the style Burnley play must have something about them. He's only 21 too and already very experienced. I just trust whoever the recruitment team want after waiting a hell of a long time to be able to say that. 

All good, just my preference on the little Ive seen. Like with any player we sign I wish then all the best. Not negative or writing him off. 

3 minutes ago, villanmac said:

Hes not Brazillian and doesnt have a fancy name. Its a no from me. 

If his name was Dwighto Mchneilo or Samuel Mchneuweo all the fans would be exciting with the ability Dwight Mcneils got 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, messi11 said:

If his name was Dwighto Mchneilo or Samuel Mchneuweo all the fans would be exciting with the ability Dwight Mcneils got 

Reminds me of when we signed Matt Targett from Southampton who loads of fans didnt want partly cos he was Matt Targett from Southampton and partly cos he looks like a Quinten Blake illustration. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

Dwight McNeil is a very good player, I don't think I've seen him have a bad game, he's not the type of winger that will be good one week but then bad the next, he always puts in a good performance, if he was playing for a better team his stats would look much better, created more chances last season than any of our players with the exception of Grealish.

The negative reactions remind me of the reactions from when we were linked to Cash and Watkins last summer, and Targett the summer before, I guess there's a lack of glamour and excitement in these type of signings for some.

Also worth remembering that he's still only 21.

It's crazy to think he's only 21. I feel like I've been hearing about him for years!
I guarantee that this board would be going crazy now if his name was Dwighteus McNaldo...

Bollocks, Messi11 beat me to it. 

Edited by Delphinho123

2 hours ago, useless said:

Dwight McNeil is a very good player, I don't think I've seen him have a bad game, he's not the type of winger that will be good one week but then bad the next, he always puts in a good performance, if he was playing for a better team his stats would look much better, created more chances last season than any of our players with the exception of Grealish.

The negative reactions remind me of the reactions from when we were linked to Cash and Watkins last summer, and Targett the summer before, I guess there's a lack of glamour and excitement in these type of signings for some.

Also worth remembering that he's still only 21.

Just had a look at the start of the start of all their threads. You're kidding yourself if you think the negative reactions in this thread is comparable to the reactions in those threads. The worst is the Targett thread and even that one was more cautious pessimism more than anything due to Southampton fans not really rating him.

I’m absolutely delighted by this link. He’s a good player playing in a team they play a difficult way.

Putting your nose up because he’s at Burnley is ridiculous. 

Stats arnt everything and the value of scouts is seeing those traits when in a different type of team. Would be a great signing for me and an indication to young players all over that we will spend big and go in for them. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Everything would be good about this signing apart from the transfer fee.

This doesn't suit the " scouting " and " value " narrative.

Burnley also have new owners, and as you say, everything fits the profile but we would be fleeced.

Would have a better chance at any sort of good deal if they were relegated maybe.

• Like 1

Â