Dwight McNeil

tomav84

• VT Supporter
10 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Really surprised at the opinions of him. That's what makes the game interesting I suppose.

He's miles and miles better than El Ghazi and Trez, and comfortably better than Traore IMO.

Glad you put IMO at the end of that....

35 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Maybe he's not that good and we're not really interested in him. I hope so as the stats back up what I can see with my own eyes. He's average.

I do trust the club but I have my own opinion too.

I never said you didn’t or that you’re not entitled to it. I guess what I am saying is that if the club want him and are willing to pay what it will take to get him, then it doesn’t really matter what you or I think. I personally think they’ve earned our trust, but I also think he’s got a lot of natural ability which would suit our style of play far more than Burnley.

Like most rumours though, until Percy pops up at the back post it’s probably not worth much debate.

9 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

ticks a lot of boxes and looks like a NWSE Villa era signing. If I was a  Burnley  fan would be disappointed if he is leaving,

If you were a Burnleh fan - at that price - they can buy ten more Ashley Westwoods.

Swings and roundabouts. 

Or swings and useless pointy barstewards. 

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

I don’t believe for one minute that we harbour any serious interest in this bloke. He would always cost so much more than he is worth. Our owners are way too savvy for that. Just not going to happen. Move on

Actually think Dean would be all over this, he's still only what 21. Been regular in premier league now for pretty much 3 seasons, hard worker with a good cross on him who can develop further and obviously fits the British profile DS said in an interview a few months back.

My issue though is he'll be 30m + no problem and there's simply better players around in europe with many seasons playing for teams in europa or even CL who'll be available for much less than that so guess it's up to what they want, someone who may not settle but has potentially far higher ceiling while McNeil will be probably solid 7/10 guy most weeks. Perhaps given we've signed likes of Traore, Trez and AEG over last two years for 40m with mixed results Dean is now pushing the board for domestic option out wide this summer.

He's not a bad player but I rate Smith Rowe higher although they have different skillsets for wide players.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, HolteExile said:

If you were a Burnleh fan - at that price - they can buy ten more Ashley Westwoods.

Swings and roundabouts. 

Or swings and useless pointy barstewards. 

Wouldn't shock me if we offered them Hourihane in a swop although would only account for about 5m of whatever fee they want. Hause would be incredible for them aswell with what Dyche wants from a CB but no chance we sell him this summer.

46 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think he's a good player, and different to all the wide players we currently have. He can definitely be an asset in this side. Paying 50m for the privilege however? Not so sure about that. That's a hell of a lot of money. That's Sterling/Mahrez type money, and I'm not sure he's at that level. 

But it's not any more..It's gone mad.

A 19 year old Sterling or however old he was would be touted for £100m if City wanted him from Liverpool today

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If we're going to play with a three behind Watkins, it makes sense to have the option of a traditional winger to complement Grealish and Buendia, who will both naturally want to occupy the middle of the pitch. Playing with two inside forwards and a 10 could leave our attacks being fairly predictable, and the centre congested. 

He is certainly different to anything else we currently have, El Ghazi included. Somebody to take advantage of the space created and whip in a cross or 3.

If they want him then I trust the clubs judgement, they haven't let us down in a while. They're actually pretty good at this. 

I agree with a lot of what you've written here.

But reading that top paragraph, with a quality no 10 and then thinking of what targett and cash offer us on the overlap is just mouthwatering.

I'm getting excited already at the prospect, when does the season start again?

1 hour ago, Lord Willard said:

People who say he is good considering he plays for Burnley need to give their head a wobble. He plays for a midtable team that have been very solid. If you're any good you still will shine.

Grealish was with us while we've been poor and he shone and had stats to backed it up.

Buendia got relegated with Norwich yet his performances and stats were still brilliant. 

McNeil 👎 is he really an upgrade on El Ghazi? Then you see the price, no thanks.

He has shone though, everytime I watched Burnley in recent years hes been their outstanding player

He's technically very good and is only 21, Burnley had a poor season, but the season before they finished 10th (when we finished 17th) and he played every game.

Like I mentioned before, his stats wont look amazing in a 442 system with a defensive manager, Burnley spend a large portion of matches backs to the wall.

You mention Grealish but aged 21 he wasn't exactly killing it. I remember Bruce would often have him on the bench to our bemusment and some fans were even saying we should sell him. I'm not for a minute saying he's in the same standard as Grealish, but at the same age playing under RDM/Bruce he really didn't have the "stats to back it up" , It's ony the 2 seasons after aged 23 under Deano that Grealish really starting shining - funny how people remember things differently.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Really surprised at the opinions of him. That's what makes the game interesting I suppose.

He's miles and miles better than El Ghazi and Trez, and comfortably better than Traore IMO.

I just don't see it. But yeah, differing opinions as you say. Wildly differing in this case.

• VT Supporter

Falls into the same category as ESR.

Not in terms of position, but in terms of being existing attack minded PL players, and very young.

We pay a premium for either because we are paying for potential. But if we can realise and build on that potential (as we are with Cash, Targett, Konsa, Watkins) it may turn out to be a bargain. 

Orthodox left winger in a 442 with 2 goals 6 assists in 3000 mins last season. Probably linked because we need Grealish replacement according to media. Load of bollocks that we're interested imo

• Like 2

• VT Supporter
2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

snl season 44 GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Like 3

11 hours ago, a m ole said:

We could cash in on Jack and buy McNeil and Abraham. Maybe use the leftover money on a centre mid like Will Hughes.

Watkins Abraham

Young Hughes McGinn McNeil

Targett Mings Konsa Cash

Martinez

4-4-2, bring back the O’Neill days. That’s the Villa I want to see.

Hide contents

John Cena Reaction GIF by WWE

Why have you put McNeil on the wrong side, LW LW LW LW.

We have Watkins and Abraham in Goal now do we and Martinez as lone striker, with a midfield of target, Ming's, Konsa and cash.

And what about Buendia, have we sold him already, must of sent instead of Grealish and put sticker on Buendia forehead saying (I am Jack), poor Buendia.

Fried Rice Cooking GIF by Nigel Ng (Uncle Roger)

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I really dislike the way people judge players purely by a set of stats these days. There's so much more that goes into it and so many variables that just looking at stats alone is largely useless imo. 

I wish I could figure out how to quote across many pages, but alas I can’t.

I posted those stats in response to a poster asking ‘I’d love to know what his (AEG) stats were in providing chances for other players’ implying that ALL he ever did was cut in and shoot.

Of course it’s not ok to only judge a player by stats alone - but in this case it was literally a ‘I’d love to know what the stats are’

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Thug said:

I wish I could figure out how to quote across many pages, but alas I can’t.

I posted those stats in response to a poster asking ‘I’d love to know what his (AEG) stats were in providing chances for other players’ implying that ALL he ever did was cut in and shoot.

Of course it’s not ok to only judge a player by stats alone - but in this case it was literally a ‘I’d love to know what the stats are’

My comment wasn't aimed directly at you dude! It's just a general observation I've seen across football in general. 

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Orthodox left winger in a 442 with 2 goals 6 assists in 3000 mins last season. Probably linked because we need Grealish replacement according to media. Load of bollocks that we're interested imo

Yes, you may have mentioned that. Again. 

• Haha 2

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â