Dwight McNeil

tomav84

21 minutes ago, MentalM said:

McNeill is a good player, would not the be my first name on a list. However the idea of him in a team that plays a bit more technical than Burnley it would be really exciting to see how he develops.

At the moment he is basically Burnleys only player capable of much other than long balls or set pieces. (Exaggerated by me, I respect Burnley) 

But do we really need more development players?

I believe what we need most is major quality that can take us to the next level and make us more formidable.

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

McNeil has a better chance creation per game than Saint Maximin and play in similarly shit sides. Him, Westwood and Lowton are Burnleys 3 modt creative players

I always liked Westwood, I think if we signed him now under Smith (from Crewe) at the age he was back then we would see much more from him. So many tactically unaware coaches and god knows what training methods back then. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

I always liked Westwood, I think if we signed him now under Smith (from Crewe) at the age he was back then we would see much more from him. So many tactically unaware coaches and god knows what training methods back then. 

He certainly was a worker who was keen to get every ounce out of what talent he had.  He has had a good career.

It is also about blend and we could never get that right.  The season we were relegated we rarely played Geuye as the holding midfielder, the position he has now made his name in, instead trying to play him as a replacement for Delph/an attacking "8".  Equally Veretout should have been that "8".  A CM pairing of Geuye (6) and Verteout (8) would have given us a decent chance.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

He started off brightly but at the end he was shocking, the last 2 seasons. The game we had him and Gardner together in the Championship was a Villa lowpoint, think they had 14 touches between them or something ridiculous

Maybe his confidence was smashed by then, plus the amount of inept managers he played under didnt help. At least at Burnley he knows his role and what he has to do weekly

2 hours ago, QldVilla said:

Yes, yes, scouts to WATCH games, not sit in the dark in front of a computer and tell them who are good players based on statistics with no context. Still you miss the point.

Top clubs employ data analysts to look at xGi and the like of potential transfer targets. One of us is missing the point

While i think he has talent I am not sure he is the profile of player we need going into this next season. It's pretty much a vital season in which it is accepted we need to push for European qualification. If we don't get it, players may leave. So with that in mind McNeill appears to be a development project, where he could be very good but that may take another year or two to realise fully. 

Therefore I cannot see the logic on supposedly spending £40m on a development project of a player. This season for the first time we need 2/3 players that can slot in and produce from the start, and make the first 11 immediately better. 

A worrying transfer in my mind.

1 minute ago, Pissflaps said:

It's pretty much a vital season in which it is accepted we need to push for European qualification. If we don't get it, players may leave.

Doom mongering canard. You could apply that to several teams and the reality is it doesn't happen. Football players are humans that have a job and want security. 

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Doom mongering canard. You could apply that to several teams and the reality is it doesn't happen. Football players are humans that have a job and want security. 

How is that doom mongering. So you honestly believe if we finish say midtable again next season we won't lose our better players? I hate it as much as anyone, you can call me a depressing realist if you want, because that's probably what that statement is. No doom.

Edited by Pissflaps

How is that doom mongering. So you honestly believe if we finish say midtable again next season we won't lose our better players?

I think we'll improve on our position like we have for successive seasons and if we don't I don't think we'll lose our best players tied up on decent contracts. Do you think Arsenal Everton Leeds fans are freaking out as much? 

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

I think we'll improve on our position like we have for successive seasons and if we don't I don't think we'll lose our best players tied up on decent contracts. Do you think Arsenal Everton Leeds fans are freaking out as much? 

I'm not freaking out. Again just being aware of our place in the food chain so to speak. We will have to show progress to keep our best players, Arsenal Everton and Leeds are no different. All I am saying is, that whoever club identify this summer needs ideally to come in and start instantly we don't really have time to develop a player that cost £40m to buy in the first place.

I'm not freaking out. Again just being aware of our place in the food chain so to speak. We will have to show progress to keep our best players, Arsenal Everton and Leeds are no different. All I am saying is, that whoever club identify this summer needs ideally to come in and start instantly we don't really have time to develop a player that cost £40m to buy in the first place.

I think we have some of smartest owners and management in PL atm with big money and big balls. Relax 

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

I think we have some of smartest owners and management in PL atm with big money and big balls. Relax 

Who would be powerless to stop a player who wants to leave for a team playing in Europe.

And again I am relaxed. Stop telling me that I am not. Do you not think I have seen this numerous times before? Yorke, Milner, Young etc etc. It's just a matter of historical fact. The only way we avoid it happening again is to qualify. McNeill in my eyes won't help that next season.

I better go have a chamomile tea now, you know, to relax 

• Haha 2

Just now, Pissflaps said:

Who would be powerless to stop a player who wants to leave for a team playing in Europe.

And again I am relaxed. Stop telling me that I am not. Do you not think I have seen this numerous times before? Yorke, Milner, Young etc etc. It's just a matter of historical fact. The only way we avoid it happening again is to qualify. McNeill in my eyes won't help that next season.

I better go have a chamomile tea now, you know, to relax 

I don't want McNeil. I think it's a BS link. The rest you mentioned is history under shit manager and owner

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

I don't want McNeil. I think it's a BS link. The rest you mentioned is history under shit manager and owner

I won't disagree about previous managers or owners but again if a player wants to leave he will and we can't stop it. That's the same for any team. No owner or manager will change that.

I won't disagree about previous managers or owners but again if a player wants to leave he will and we can't stop it. That's the same for any team. No owner or manager will change that.

I don't think it helps that for 3 seasons in a row trash rags say Grealish is a target for club X but I don't believe it for a second and neither should you

3 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Didn’t Zaha hand in a transfer request? I agree when players want to leave they eventually do but I think a key difference these days is clubs don’t need the money so can ask for very large transfer fees.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Didn’t Zaha hand in a transfer request? I agree when players want to leave they eventually do but I think a key difference these days is clubs don’t need the money so can ask for very large transfer fees.

I would say long term contacts mean even more post Covid

Â