Dwight McNeil

tomav84

8 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Different ways of looking at it, it’s not as straightforward as it may seem. 

From my POV Buendia is highly talented and could become a genuine star, a far superior player.

Regardless, I could never see McNeil performing as well and producing the amount of goals and assists as Buendia has in recent years (particularly in the Championship), he is a creative monster.

Anyway, you’re entitled to rate McNeil. I won’t be changing my mind 🤣

Haha fair enough.

I do rate Buendia - on the ball he’s the better of the two right now. 

I have a feeling we may end up with both...

23 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

God I hope we don't sign McNeil he is crap. Traore is twice the player he is. 

Pereira more chances and big chances created than McNeil in 500 less minutes. Also 27 shots on target vs 9. Assume they would cost similar and Pereira plays as #10 which we need vs McNeil a left winger in a 442/4411 team I know who I'd prefer

19 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Pereira more chances and big chances created than McNeil in 500 less minutes. Also 27 shots on target vs 9. Assume they would cost similar and Pereira plays as #10 which we need vs McNeil a left winger in a 442/4411 team I know who I'd prefer

Disagree with your reasoning. I think we need a LW so jack can play CAM.

But McNeil should not be that winger he is not the calibre of player we need. I don't think he'd be any sort of upgrade on el Ghazi. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Neither are an upgrade on what we currently have, Pereira's stats are very similar to Traore's.

14 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Disagree with your reasoning. I think we need a LW so jack can play CAM.

But McNeil should not be that winger he is not the calibre of player we need. I don't think he'd be any sort of upgrade on el Ghazi. 

Grealish goal involvement massively come from LW not CAM

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Neither are an upgrade on what we currently have, Pereira's stats are very similar to Traore's.

Pereira double chances and big chances created that of Traore. We have better players to convert the chances than Baggies

35 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Pereira double chances and big chances created that of Traore. We have better players to convert the chances than Baggies

It's not what the stats say and Traore plays on the right. It's about end product.

8 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

It's not what the stats say and Traore plays on the right. It's about end product.

Stats are expected goals and expected assists not simply actual goals and actual assists. If a player takes more big chance shots on goal or creates more big chance assists a goal is more likely to be scored

14 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Stats are expected goals and expected assists not simply actual goals and actual assists. If a player takes more big chance shots on goal or creates more big chance assists a goal is more likely to be scored

That's nice, but I'll continue to rely on my eye, rather than regurgitate stats to justify my opinion.

I don't believe he'll improve the squad, believe there are better players for us moving forward, and at the end of the day it is what the club believe.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

That's nice, but I'll continue to rely on my eye, rather than regurgitate stats to justify my opinion.

I don't believe he'll improve the squad, believe there are better players for us moving forward, and at the end of the day it is what the club believe.

I've made thousands over the years in FPL cash leagues relying about +80% on underlying stats. Clubs employ stats people to shape transfer decisions. It's more relevant than you probably realise

Edited by Kiwivillan

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Out of curiosity, do you think McNeil would have less stats in this area due to the way Burnley play? 

If you’re job is to just lob crosses into the box you’re inherently less likely to create chances or big chances. You’re also less likely to be in a shooting position.

Conversely Pereira was West Brom’s main attacking force.

7 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I've made thousands over the years in FPL cash leagues relying about +80% on underlying stats. Clubs employ stats people to shape transfer decisions. It's more relevant than you probably realise

Instead of making assumptions and justifying your position, maybe pay more attention to what people are saying.

1 minute ago, KangarooVillan said:

Out of curiosity, do you think McNeil would have less stats in this area due to the way Burnley play? 

If you’re job is to just lob crosses into the box you’re inherently less likely to create chances or big chances. You’re also less likely to be in a shooting position.

Of course but Burnley play different system and we don't need an orthodox 442 winger but we do need a Barkley type CAM that isn't a basket case. I would like 1 of our signings to be a CAM

• Like 1

1 minute ago, QldVilla said:

Instead of making assumptions and justifying your position, maybe pay more attention to what people are saying.

Your last response was eye test vs stats. Clubs employ scouts and data analysts and both are important

Edited by Kiwivillan

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Your last response was eye test vs stats. Clubs employ scouts and data analysts and both are important

Yes, yes, scouts to WATCH games, not sit in the dark in front of a computer and tell them who are good players based on statistics with no context. Still you miss the point.

3 hours ago, QldVilla said:

No chance of that.

Last season the blinkered vision was that we didn't need squad depth

• Like 1

McNeill is a good player, would not the be my first name on a list. However the idea of him in a team that plays a bit more technical than Burnley it would be really exciting to see how he develops.

At the moment he is basically Burnleys only player capable of much other than long balls or set pieces. (Exaggerated by me, I respect Burnley) 

15 hours ago, KangarooVillan said:

Pereira drops in and out of games too much for me. Keep in mind to, his 11G and 6A look good, but 4 of his goals were penalties. Without those he looks like a less mystical Traore.

When comparing Buendia and McNeil remember Buendia is 24 and McNeil is 21. Buendia is only 1 year younger than Jack and McNeil is 3 years younger than Buendia. McNeil also has better Premier League form than either Jack or Buendia at the same age. 

Pereira seemed to come good when Baggies were pretty much down. Bit like Ayew when we got relegated, hit a bit of good form and looks better in a shit team 

Doesn't mean he will do it at another club

4 hours ago, KangarooVillan said:

Conversely, shouldn’t he have more assists when he’s being relied on to supply big target men like Wood & Barnes?

If he’s their main creative force then his stats impress even less. The main thing that stands out about him is he has age on his side.

I can see the appeal of signing him for some, young with potential being the most relevant point. But I would not want us to pay more than 15-20m for that when our budget/funds could be better utilised imo. And Burnley would want at least 40m, I suspect. They don’t need to sell him & value him highly. I think that would be a huge waste. Would he really be any better than our existing wingers or attacking players? Or offer more of a contribution? I really don’t see it… it doesn’t strike me as an ambitious or exciting signing. 

We already have the youngest squad and promising youngsters coming through so I would personally prefer a higher class of signing that can genuinely elevate us such as the signings of Martinez & Watkins did. We need players almost comparable to Jack’s level - maybe not quite the same attributes but a similar level of impact and efficiency - if we genuinely want to take another big step forward in our progress and standing next season and lessen our reliance on him.

One way of looking at things is, if we want to fight for top 6/8, is would some of the players we have (e.g. Nakamba) and some of the players we’re allegedly targeting (e.g. McNeil) get into and consistently perform in those first 11s? With those examples, I don’t see it at all so we need better…

Edited by Jas10

Â