Dwight McNeil

tomav84

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Dwight McNeil is a very good player, I don't think I've seen him have a bad game, he's not the type of winger that will be good one week but then bad the next, he always puts in a good performance, if he was playing for a better team his stats would look much better, created more chances last season than any of our players with the exception of Grealish.

The negative reactions remind me of the reactions from when we were linked to Cash and Watkins last summer, and Targett the summer before, I guess there's a lack of glamour and excitement in these type of signings for some.

Also worth remembering that he's still only 21.

ye, i would 100% take McNeil.

However, i would also 100% take Buendia!

Ideally......we could have McNeil on the left, Buendia on the right and Grealish at no.10 😍

• Like 2

I'm a fan of McNeil--technically very gifted and often uses his quick footwork to get out of seemingly impossible situations. 

He plays the game according to Burnley's tactics at the moment (run, long ball/cross and repeat). I think he would link up with Grealish and Buendia/Traore superbly.

Transfer fee would be massive though, anything above £20million would make me think twice.

What is so good about McNeil? I haven't seen him do anything of note - just endlessly hugging the left wing, trying to find the grizzled head of some Kiwi oaf.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, useless said:

Dwight McNeil is a very good player, I don't think I've seen him have a bad game, he's not the type of winger that will be good one week but then bad the next, he always puts in a good performance, if he was playing for a better team his stats would look much better, created more chances last season than any of our players with the exception of Grealish.

The negative reactions remind me of the reactions from when we were linked to Cash and Watkins last summer, and Targett the summer before, I guess there's a lack of glamour and excitement in these type of signings for some.

This.

People writing off a 21 year old, in a Burnley team, and wanting Rashica (for example) who they have probably never seen play outside of You Tube highlight videos, are probably the same people who think Des Bremner was terrible.

I also think the price could be quite reasonable given the quotes of £40m for Buendia. Burnley have been hit hard by Covid, and won't see McNeill as the only way they can survive in he PL - which will make Norwich demand a premium for any of their players.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I thought the Athletic was for serious football analysis? Transfer speculation is just as bad as the tabloids. Given that it’s Gregg Evans, I don’t believe it either. 

gregg will always have his history working for the brum mail tarnishing his reputation. my understanding of everything transfer related from the athletic per their policy is that it has to come direct from the club, so i take anything i read on there as genuine. i know i'm massively in the minority though

Posted this in the Buendia thread but:

McNeil’s stats have never been as impressive as they should be but every time I watch him I think there is a player there. I rate Pereira and would be delighted with any one of these three. Two of them just feels greedy...

12 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I'll join the chorus of not for me Beake

I'll join the club of people who trust the manager that hasn't put a foot wrong yet (season by season) and the recruitment team that gave us our best window in over a decade last year. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

I'll join the club of people who trust the manager that hasn't put a foot wrong yet (season by season) and the recruitment team that gave us our best window in over a decade last year. 

Wow, ok. Sorry for having an opinion, but I guess if we don't buy him then you agree with me 😉 

Rather than roll out useless cliches why not just share your opinion on him.

Edited by Villan_of_oz

Yes please, I think he's technically very good. Rarely gives the ball away, range of passing is superb and has some tricks in him as well.

Not sure left wing is his best position, I've always felt central midfield is where he will eventually end up.

1 hour ago, useless said:

This, basically. Has great potential and is more of a solid winger than an exciting but baffling one like Traore. Dare I compare him in style to uber consistent Ryan Giggs?

1 minute ago, Junxs said:

Yes please, I think he's technically very good. Rarely gives the ball away, range of passing is superb and has some tricks in him as well.

Not sure left wing is his best position, I've always felt central midfield is where he will eventually end up.

Agree with this--I think he could play 10 with Grealish on the left and be interchangeable. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

36 games 2 goals

For Burnley though, not exactly the most attacking and fluent of teams who just finished above the relegation zone.

He's 21 and has shown a lot of talent over the last 2 seasons.

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Wow, ok. Sorry for having an opinion, but I guess if we don't buy him then you agree with me 😉 

Rather than roll out useless cliches why not just share you opinion on him.

I didn't actually mean to quote you 😅 but it was a response to everyone having an instant negative view on a player like they did with Traore last summer. 

My view on the player is that anyone that can look skilful or creative in the style Burnley play must have something about them. He's only 21 too and already very experienced. I just trust whoever the recruitment team want after waiting a hell of a long time to be able to say that. 

I think there's some truth in excusing some of his underwhelming creative numbers because of the type of team Burnley are, but at the same time it's his job to be one of their creators so if Burnley have underperformed in that sense it's because the player himself has. Looking deeper than goals/assists into nerdy statistics he had less "shot creating actions" this season for Burnley than the likes of Ashley Barnes and Vydra, which is even more stark reading when you bear in mind that McNeil takes a lot of their set pieces. He was coming in at something like 0.70 per game in open play. Completed less dribbles, carried the ball far less than previously (which presumably would be a key trait needed for us to alleviate how much pressure there is on Jack to do so) etc, conservative teams are made even more conservative when their players responsible for creating are failing to do so.

Good player in there of course and still only young, but there's grounds for hesitance with the link beyond pigeon-holing people thinking as such as not finding the idea of British signings sexy enough. 

Â