Dwight McNeil

tomav84

Reported in the Athletic that we're interested:

https://theathletic.com/2611550/2021/05/28/aston-villa-are-chasing-mcneil-and-buendia-as-part-of-their-summer-transfer-plans/

Villa already recognise the need for another wide player, and The Athletic understands Burnley’s Dwight McNeil is of serious interest, as is Emi Buendia of Championship winners Norwich. Extensive groundwork has already been done on both of them.

McNeil, a 21-year-old who scored two goals and set up five more for Burnley in the league this season, has flourished off the left and would bring the kind of panache Villa are looking for. The scouting department has closely scrutinised his in-game contributions, and McNeil is recognised as a player who brings additional options to open up a game. Being able to move Grealish into a No 10 role, if required, with a new wide player adding competition to a position that already boasts Anwar El Ghazi and Bertrand Traore, appeals to the club. The long-term knee injury Trezeguet suffered last month has only accelerated the need to recruit.

Burnley’s new chairman Alan Pace has promised their manager Sean Dyche funds this summer for signings but depending on how big of an overhaul he wants, the club that just finished fourth-bottom in the Premier League, albeit 11 points clear of relegation, may have to sell one of their prized assets.

Ideally, Burnley do not wish to part with any of their top performers and are under no pressure to sell, but every player at the club has their price — though McNeil will not come cheap. He’s contracted to the club for another three years, with an option to extend that by a further year. It is also understood that at least three other clubs are interested in him, besides Villa.

Dyche doesn’t want to sell him either, having nurtured him into the first team. The new owners will tread carefully as they recognise the job Dyche has done during his eight years at the club, and want to keep him engaged so he signs a new contract.

McNeil is a local lad and has spoken about his happiness at Burnley and how it is the perfect place to learn his trade. He wants consistent game time, something he might not immediately get if he moves to Villa, and with at least three other clubs showing interest, other options might appeal more.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

A bit blah on this one,  he’s got something definitely but I wasn’t convinced it was enough...

think he had a good game vs us this season? but will probably cost a fair whack...not sure if will live up to the price tag

Said in the other thread not for me personally, I think he's decent but not spectacular, will be interesting to see a price floated about but local Burnley lad and their most exciting youngster so I'd guess £20-30m

I have doubts about him being a young exciting pacey tricky winger that in 3 to 4 years time loses a bit of that pace and the better defenders in the league suss out the tricks, it's a very hard position in that regard, there's a trail of English (and foreign no doubt) wingers who have done the same, hard position to scout, I'm not sold that he's that much better than what we have

• Like 1

I think what we have now is better than McNeil. 

He is a mid table winger. I feel like he isn't the player we need to progress. 

I think us being linked with him, Pereria, Buendia and Rashica. We are definitely putting out the feelers 👀

Edited by Lord Willard
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Gregg Evans 😂😂😂😂

This is where I'm at. 

However, I do think we will target British based players with experience over here in Prem/EFL football. 
With that being the case, I think we will see links to the likes of...

Buendia
Lookman
Pereira
McNeil

McNeil fits the bill and still VERY young. Can't say I know too much about him. Anyone know any Burnley fans that could give an opinion on him?

Yeah this one doesn’t excite me at all. Maybe it’s because he’s from Burnley, will cost a fortune and only had two goals and five assists last season. Or maybe it’s because I haven’t really watched him play much. He’s still only 21, so has potential but then we’ve already got a lot of young potential. 

Whoscored also have his best position down as left midfield. Do we need him there?

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

This is where I'm at. 

However, I do think we will target British based players with experience over here in Prem/EFL football. 
With that being the case, I think we will see links to the likes of...

Buendia
Lookman
Pereira
McNeil

McNeil fits the bill and still VERY young. Can't say I know too much about him. Anyone know any Burnley fans that could give an opinion on him?

Yeah i dont have an issue with the link just the "journalist" who broke it. McNeil looks good but he is more a MON style direct winger and getting it into the big man

Just now, It's Your Round said:

Yeah this one doesn’t excite me at all. Maybe it’s because he’s from Burnley, will cost a fortune and only had two goals and five assists last season. Or maybe it’s because I haven’t really watched him play much. He’s still only 21, so has potential but then we’ve already got a lot of young potential. 

Whoscored also have his best position down as left midfield. Do we need him there?

i think we definitely need another winger. we need jack as number 10 which leaves just 2 first team wingers with trez being injured and crap

I don't see the logic in this one, but if the boss wants him then fair enough.  Would also be more convinced if this news was coming from Percy than Greg the Baggies fan. 

6 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i think we definitely need another winger. we need jack as number 10 which leaves just 2 first team wingers with trez being injured and crap

I agree. But is McNeil any better than El Ghazi? When I say better, I mean a significant improvement. I genuinely don’t know. But I’d be expecting a new first choice winger to be much better than what we already have. 

Fits the profile of young and potentially worth more after a few years but also doesn’t fit the profile of being particularly good and we have better starting wingers and more promising youth wingers.

Shut up Greggggggggg.

Edited by a m ole

Â