Europa League & Champions League Finals

andykeenan

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

that the second they don't win everything the manager isn't worthy

Its difficult to know for sure though,  eg . If Rodgers was manager this season would they have done better or worse?

Hard to know but with Rodgers I think they would win last night and have a couple more wins on the board over the season as I believe he is a much better manager overall,  especially with the squads in comparison and the resources available to both.  80 mil on defenders etc.

Not saying you are wrong but it is difficult.  

Chuffed too bits they lost last night. Never liked their fans anyway but I’ll never forget when we were doing the 19th minute applause for Stan and rather than just join in (something every opposition fan managed to do, despite any animosity) the United fans started singing “Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.” Can’t stand them. 

• Like 2

Happy to see English teams do well in Europe in general. 

HOWEVER

I watched it with my footy team and the delight at knowing Bruno Fernandes hadn’t won was great, a proper scum bag of a player and unjustly hyped.

Poor United fans so used to winning everything growing up now have to deal with not, boo hoo.

Keep Ole forever.

side note, Rashford was dreadful and although his stats are good I do think he’s a passenger most of the time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Genie said:

But getting 2nd in the table (to probably the best team in English football history) and a European cup final is not really worthy of ridicule.

You might argue they are where they should be given the resources, but it’s certainly not clown like.

Its been a poor season though compared to the last few at the top end of the table. Hes done ok but has been found wanting at times. 

8 hours ago, Genie said:

It’s funny because Poch is apparently very highly rated from his time at Spurs. The 5 years before he joined they averaged a league finish of 4.8. In his 5 year tenure he moved the average up to 3.4. Top manager.

OGS gets the United job on the back of a 5 year average also of 4.8, in his 3 seasons so far the average finish is 3.6, and he’s a clueless PE teacher clown who should be sacked :lol: 

He's done a great job. People just can't get over the fact that he's not a big name or that he has strong P.E. teacher energy. He's not a real manager in their minds.

But to be fair, he's also outspent every team bar City (roughly equal money spent), but hasn't really made any headway in bridging the gap towards them and Liverpool. But making them a perennial top 4 club is something that they weren't before he arrived and he deserves credit for that.

Someone's already mentioned it I know, but I truly believe they are looked after in the Prem. And to be fair, I'm not really surprised the top 4 are looked after. The amount of money they bring into the Premier League must give them some advantage.

• Like 3

I dont understand the dislike of away goals, its a better system than penalties for smaller teams. If IFK Göteborg go to Liverpool and lose 3-2 and win 2nd leg 1-0 its a deserved way of going through 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

I dont understand the dislike of away goals, its a better system than penalties for smaller teams. If IFK Göteborg go to Liverpool and lose 3-2 and win 2nd leg 1-0 its a deserved way of going through 

Also, I think it just makes it more interesting. One team pushing for a goal, the other got a lucky one in, and all of a sudden it's all attack. 

I like it, it's different.

. It's been around since the 60's when traveling was a much bigger hassle compared to now when teams have chartered planes. It was to avoid having a 3rd tie breaker game on neutral ground.

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think its going to make it more defensive so a bad move. 

3 hours ago, Genie said:

The reason away goals rule came in was because of the very cagey, boring first legs. 
That’s something to look forward to.

Yes thats exactly why it was introduced. i think its a terrible move to scrap it 

Having or not having away goals isn’t the problem, the problem is having 2 leg rounds in the first place.

Someone draws home, someone draws away like the rest of the competition and you play one game. The final is at a neutral ground. It’s the best way in every respect except the few extra quid the organisations make.

28 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Having or not having away goals isn’t the problem, the problem is having 2 leg rounds in the first place.

Someone draws home, someone draws away like the rest of the competition and you play one game. The final is at a neutral ground. It’s the best way in every respect except the few extra quid the organisations make.

Yeah there's an argument to be had that there's such a level playing field now as Eastern Europe and pretty much everywhere has the money for the stadiums and the infrastructure to rival the big 5 leagues, there won't be many teams going somewhere like shakhtar or even BATE complaining that it's a park pitch with dodgy changing rooms

The whole cold night in Eastern Europe playing a team you've never heard of before let alone seen has completely gone, it's out dated, you look at villa playing Dynamo Berlin and those days won't come back, the idea of a European away game say Chelsea playing krasnador in this year's competition, krasnador have a 5 year old stadium for the world cup, Chelsea won 4-0 there 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, a m ole said:

yes but the super dooper awesome clubs might have to go to some pathetic non elite club like Porto or Shakhtar and lose that game in a one off.

Couldnt be having that 

• Like 1

Â