Euro 2020 : Group E (Poland, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden)

BOF

36 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Enrique is another in the long list of failed club managers in charge of the biggest countries in international football.

Luis Enrique failed club manager?

That’s some statement.

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yes Spain had 85% of the ball but what did they do with it? Mostly passed it sideways for 95 minutes in front of a very well organised and fit opposition. Hardly any angled passes or speeding up the tempo. Sweden even had the best chance to win it.

I wonder what the odds were of Slovakia topping the group? Sweden have to go from Seville to St Petersburg after a hard match whereas I presume Slovakia have stayed in Russia? Also aren't Sweden one of the oldest teams in the competition? I fancy a Slovak win and 6 points on the board before they have to play Spain.

We will shithouse it. Isak goal in the tenth minute and then park the bus for the remaining 80min XD.

Expect Spain to breeze through the group and grow into the tournament nicely.

Would be a problem if they weren't creating, but they are, while absolutely dominating the ball. Don't tell me it's easy against bad opposition because they did exactly the same against Portugal the other week.

Once a goal or two goes in they'll grow in confidence. I think they could go deep into the knockouts.

Edited by Tom13

45 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Enrique is another in the long list of failed club managers in charge of the biggest countries in international football.

he did win the Champions League in fairness

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

Would be a problem if they weren't creating, but they arre, while absolutely dominating the ball. Don't tell me it's easy against bad opposition because they did exactly the same against Portugal the other week.

Once a goal or two goes in they'll grow in confidence. I think they could go deep into the knockouts.

Funny result but I agree. Pedri looks brilliant, genuinely top drawer. I suspect they might start the striker that came on the next game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

Westwood and Cleverley wanking into their tea tonight over those passing %.

Alba the only person who seemed to realise football is about scoring goals.

Alba was defo their main threat

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Would be a problem if they weren't creating, but they are, while absolutely dominating the ball. Don't tell me it's easy against bad opposition because they did exactly the same against Portugal the other week.

I dont think so, they barely opened Sweden up. The only clear chance they had was a mistake by Danielsson. 

I think Spain have too many similar type players and they dont really offer that much, they also lack drive. Dani Olmo was shocking and surprised he lasted as long as he did

49 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He won treble at Barca in fairness but Messi, Neymar and Suarez were at their peak in those seasons. Give him what they have now and he wouldn't do better than Koeman.

39 minutes ago, sne said:

As much as some of the best players in the world can still perform at top level well past their 30's this is still a young mans game. Sweden has picked a very, very old squad and starting 11 and this is what you get, especially  in this heat.

It will look a bit different in the following 2 games in St Petersburg but Janne Andersson has not developed the Swedish style of play one bit during his 5 years as manager.

Who was the last Swedish manager who got you playing in exciting fashion, 1994? You had a good team in 2002 in fairness but it did have loads of quality with Larsson and Ljungber who were coming off great seasons.

In fairness was defensive masterclass to get past Italy in that play off and you have a very good world cup considering it was a very tricky group so he's been much better than that joker Hamren guy,

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Who was the last Swedish manager who got you playing in exciting fashion, 1994? You had a good team in 2002 in fairness but it did have loads of quality with Larsson and Ljungber who were coming off great seasons.

In fairness was defensive masterclass to get past Italy in that play off and you have a very good world cup considering it was a very tricky group so he's been much better than that joker Hamren guy,

New party member! Tags: singing sing euro2016 euro 2016 euro sweden belgium  sporza hit the note hit that note erik hamren hamren | Funny gif, New  trends, Gif

27 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Spain were crying out for a player like Grealish that game.

They miss David Villa type finisher so much. Torres also had his good spells in tournaments in those days, think he was top scorer at euro 2012 in the end somehow despite just being a sub and totally done at club level.

3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Shame Fati is injured, he would be something different for Spain in games like this

What happened to Asensio, he was all the rage a while back and played plenty for Madrid in the run in.

Spain still have loads of inside forwards but they just lack a really good number 9 these days. Well one in the squad but benched for some reason although Moreno will surely start next game.

For some reason Sweden seem to have a better record at World Cup finals than Euro championship when they do qualify.

They have got past the group stage in the last 4 world cup finals in which they have qualified at whereas only 1 out of the last 5 euros they have got past the group stage.

Pre 2016 you could make a case that the Euros was a better standard than the World Cup, certainly in the group stages.

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont think so, they barely opened Sweden up. The only clear chance they had was a mistake by Danielsson. 

I think Spain have too many similar type players and they dont really offer that much, they also lack drive. Dani Olmo was shocking and surprised he lasted as long as he did

Reminder that in 2010 they lost their first game against Switzerland.

16 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

2004 in Portugal you could feel we actually could win it. Obviously due to us have some peak players.

All Swedish national side managers in the last 35 years have come through the same education dogma of 4-4-2 with hard work. They are dour and meticulous and they value the group and hard work above everything else.

It's as set in stone as the Dutch 4-3-3 or the Barca tiki-taka was.  Andersson is as square as can be. Perfect fit for the people running Swedish football. 

How Hamrén got in I will never know, he's a used car salesman and a charlatan and I said so before he was appointed. 

Fwiw this was the worst Sweden has ever played under Andersson, we've played much better and lost on numerous occasions. We will look much better in the following games but at the same time I just can't get invested or excited with Sweden under Andersson. Was the same during the 2018 WC.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

Reminder that in 2010 they lost their first game against Switzerland.

yes with the greatest international squad of all time, this squad is nowhere near that level. That final the bench included Victor Valdes, Pepe Reina, Fernando Torres, David Silva, Cesc Fabregas and Javi Martinez. Tonights bench had Adama Traore, Eric Garcia and Diego Llorente

Just now, Zatman said:

yes with the greatest international squad of all time, this squad is nowhere near that level. That final the bench included Victor Valdes, Pepe Reina, Fernando Torres, David Silva, Cesc Fabregas and Javi Martinez. Tonights bench had Adama Traore, Eric Garcia and Diego Llorente

No I agree. Sorry my point was to not read too much into the first game. Didn't mean to say this side is anywhere near that side, however I do still think they'll do well.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He won treble at Barca in fairness but Messi, Neymar and Suarez were at their peak in those seasons. Give him what they have now and he wouldn't do better than Koeman.

I completely forgot that was him In my head that was Tito :lol: 

When I think of Enrique I think of his time at Roma who I follow. Was their worst season in at least a decade (before the imminent Spurs' manager's masterclass this year).

• Like 1

Â