Euro 2020 : Group A (Italy, Switzerland, Turkey, Wales)

BOF

Watching Italy tonight made me think of this, they have made great use of the backward pass.

https://trainingground.guru/articles/pep-guardiola-and-the-art-of-the-backward-pass

So perhaps it’s time we reappraised the backward pass?

"In football, people complain, ‘they do a lot of square and backwards passing,’” says David Adams, the Technical Director of the Welsh Football Association, "but Pep Guardiola ultimately uses backward passes as an attacking ploy, to open up the opposition.

"Manchester City do a lot of what I would call ‘up back and through’ patterns to open up the opponent. They pass backwards to draw the opposition forwards and out of their defensive shape. Then they look to exploit spaces.

“It creates a dilemma for the defending side. Do you push up high as a team and leave space in behind; do you drop back and cede space; or do you press from the front and maintain the deeper defensive line but leave lots of space between the lines?

“None of these choices is ideal, especially when you consider how tactically and technically adept City are. They are comfortable playing the ball back to the goalkeeper and centre halves, because they're technically strong on both feet.

“When they're in possession in deep areas you see them doing different things to create overloads and dilemmas: the winger going into the pocket, with the full back overlapping; quick combinations; decoy runs; the keeper threading passes or hitting the ball over the top behind the defence.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago I was thinking that this new generation of Turkish players didn't act like previous teams who always used to lose their tempers and try and injure their opponents when things were not going their way.

Never mind, same as it ever was.

• Like 1

Â