Euro 2020 : Group A (Italy, Switzerland, Turkey, Wales)

BOF

28 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yep they barely laid a glove on them. Shaqiri the star player makes Gabby at the end look like athletic 

The simple comparison for me is to Hungary (and to a lesser extent, to Macedonia and Scotland as well). The gap in ability between Portugal and Hungary is even greater than the gap between Italy and Switzerland, but Hungary gave it everything they had, left nothing on the pitch, and yeah it all went wrong at the end and in the end the final scores were the same, but the difference is the Hungarian players can be proud of their efforts and the Swiss should be ashamed of theirs.

There's no shame in being worse than your opponents, but there is in just not even trying to do the job properly.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Not sure why the Swiss fans are so despondent, beat the turks, which they should do and 4 points should get them through to the next round, their fans look like they've just been knocked out 

Probably can't take much more of likes of Ricardo Rodriguez and Seferovic.

Mbabu been one of best left sided wide players in Bundesliga last two years so don't understand him playing on the right at all.

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

The simple comparison for me is to Hungary (and to a lesser extent, to Macedonia and Scotland as well). The gap in ability between Portugal and Hungary is even greater than the gap between Italy and Switzerland, but Hungary gave it everything they had, left nothing on the pitch, and yeah it all went wrong at the end and in the end the final scores were the same, but the difference is the Hungarian players can be proud of their efforts and the Swiss should be ashamed of theirs.

There's no shame in being worse than your opponents, but there is in just not even trying to do the job properly.

Swiss saving themselves a bit for Turkey game in second half I think. Bit like how we just gave up at 2 down v Man. United this time last year given Palace at home was about 60 hours later and in the end it was the right decision. Just.

Don't win that though and that will be one of the groups where 3rd place won't go through.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Swiss saving themselves a bit for Turkey game in second half I think. Bit like how we just gave up at 2 down v Man. United this time last year given Palace at home was about 60 hours later and in the end it was the right decision. Just.

Don't win that though and that will be one of the groups where 3rd place won't go through.

You're more charitable than I am. I expect they'll be pretty much as half-assed against Turkey as they were tonight; I guess they might need no more than that anyway given how poor Turkey have been, but I think I might put a small bet on 0-0.

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

You're more charitable than I am. I expect they'll be pretty much as half-assed against Turkey as they were tonight; I guess they might need no more than that anyway given how poor Turkey have been, but I think I might put a small bet on 0-0.

Turkey have been woeful considering how solid their qualifying results have been last 3 years. WAs expecting endless creativity but they were basically a MON team, just hitting in endless crosses v Wales with no other idea and their CF had a good season at Lille but very limited if you want to play a ball through.

Can see Swiss grinding out a 1-0 or something before their annual last 16 loss.

27 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Switzerland are somehow a top 15 nation as well. Yes they play for that and usually a solid team but I cant really remember them ever regularly troubleing a half decent team in a tournament. Spain in 2010 is a huge exception

(There's a very small chance - maybe like 1% or something - that they make this comment look silly, but whatever . . .)

I think the best thing for the Swiss would be to stop qualifying for major tournaments. Have a longish run of failures. Then when they actually do make it, the fans will get behind the team and the team will play with a real pride. This qualifying-then-turning-up-and-stinking-the-place-out thing is soul-destroying. Look how much fun the Welsh are having, and then contrast to the Swiss.

30 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

(There's a very small chance - maybe like 1% or something - that they make this comment look silly, but whatever . . .)

I think the best thing for the Swiss would be to stop qualifying for major tournaments. Have a longish run of failures. Then when they actually do make it, the fans will get behind the team and the team will play with a real pride. This qualifying-then-turning-up-and-stinking-the-place-out thing is soul-destroying. Look how much fun the Welsh are having, and then contrast to the Swiss.

I dont actually know any Swiss people so I am not sure the attitude but they have a bit of the Arsenal Champions League about them. Most times will get through the groups but everybody knows they will have zero impact later in the tournament

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PaulC said:

Being a good club manager doesn't mean you're a good international manager. Joachim Löw would have to be in the mix as best manager in the Euros. 

He's lost it big time hence why he's being replaced, went stale as much as anything else, if football is cyclical his cycle was over but he stayed on, he's also become increasingly stubborn tactically and with the players that he likes, muller should have come back a while ago for example 

And in terms of football being cyclical German football is kind of in the same place as where lowe found it, flick will have to freshen it up and give it an injection of life ahead of their euros, the overhaul is smaller but it still needs one

Fan Embassy is reporting that Italian authorities will not be allowing flags with words on tomorrow ‘for security reasons’.

Nothing quite threatens national or personal security like a flag with Llangefni written on it.

10 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Fan Embassy is reporting that Italian authorities will not be allowing flags with words on tomorrow ‘for security reasons’.

Nothing quite threatens national or personal security like a flag with Llangefni written on it.

Ladies and gentlemen, no vowel language please!

Â