Euro 2020 : Group A (Italy, Switzerland, Turkey, Wales)

BOF

I enjoyed it

That's what tournament football is, if that was a PL game I'd moan like **** about the quality and probably not bother watching the 6pm kick off but tournament football in the sunshine with bbq food and a beer is completely different 

Wales midfield, Ramsey in particular was non existent, really poor, the Swiss shutting up shop with 30 mins left despite winning and having Wales on the ropes was criminal 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

Watching the Wales v Turkey game, it just struck me how so many crosses coming in in the modern game seem acceptable....its not just this game either.

surely its the role of a full back to stop crosses, but they rarely attract attention for not stopping them.

If its not deemed their role, who's role is it?......because once a ball comes in ,it can be a bit of a lottery....and if a team has a player with aerial prowess, it is a clear, Danger.

Its something, I find bemusing.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Watching the Wales v Turkey game, it just struck me how so many crosses coming in in the modern game seem acceptable....its not just this game either.

surely its the role of a full back to stop crosses, but they rarely attract attention for not stopping them.

If its not deemed their role, who's role is it?......because once a ball comes in ,it can be a bit of a lottery....and if a team has a player with aerial prowess, it is a clear and present Danger.

Its something, I find bemusing.

Was that a typical example of the modern game though.  Maybe I'm wrong but I  thought old fashioned wingers used to beat their man more and get crosses in and there were far more headed goals. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Was that a typical example of the modern game though.  Maybe I'm wrong but I  thought old fashioned wingers used to beat their man more and get crosses in and there were far more headed goals. 

Agree that's how it used to be

Now we have inverted wingers, inside forwards and in general just wide men

The main thing is the whole chalk on your boots get to the byline thing has changed, now the crosses are coming in from different angles, Shaqiri seemingly always crossed from deep and on the right hand side cutting in on his left foot so swinging it in rather than out, Wales tried to do the same 

Look at the angle for the cross on the Wales goal, that's not a traditional crossing position 

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

That was the intention, but full backs stopped them too.

36 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

We got out of jail today for sure, looked really poor for most of the match but that point could be huge, if we beat Turkey there’s every chance we’ll qualify in 2nd or as one of the better placed 3rd spotters 

4 points would almost certainly be enough; my guess - and it's just a guess - is that the division between 3rds that qualify and those that don't will be on 3 points.

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

4 points would almost certainly be enough; my guess - and it's just a guess - is that the division between 3rds that qualify and those that don't will be on 3 points.

Think Northern Ireland qualified on 3 points last time 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Wales and Turkey take the knee (although some of the latter looked a bit bemused by it).  No booing morons in Baku.

Marxists! All of them!

Â