Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

Just now, Ingram85 said:

I don’t like Lovren but I think that decision is a bit harsh. He isn’t looking at him, arms are used for momentum, it’s accidental for me. 

It's accidental but it still hits him in the face and prevents him from having an opportunity to head the ball. Clear penalty for me. If it's intentional then it's a red.

You would think Scotland prefer a Croatia win here? They then beat Czech Republic and any kind of result against England most likely sends them through. 

Why does it matter if it's accidental? As sne said, without the elbow hitting him in the face he had a free header. If you accidentally trip someone in the box before they take a shot it's still a penalty.

• Like 2

Just now, sne said:

It's accidental but it still hits him in the face and prevents him from having an opportunity to head the ball. Clear penalty for me. If it's intentional then it's a red.

So what does Lovren do? How does he jump? Occupational hazard imo for the Czech lad. I dunno, deffo not a clear pen. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Why does it matter if it's accidental? As sne said, without the elbow hitting him in the face he had a free header. If you accidentally trip someone in the box before they take a shot it's still a penalty.

Tripping someone in the box isn't a natural part of how the body functions. Jumping in the air means you have to raise your arms and stick elbows out.  It's inevitable that if someone jumps alongside you they may get an elbow. 

If they don't like it they should ban jumping for the ball.   It's a nonsense penalty to me. 

Just now, Ingram85 said:

So what does Lovren do? How does he jump? Occupational hazard imo for the Czech lad. I dunno, deffo not a clear pen. 

Well referee Jonas Eriksson in the Swedish studio was adamant it was a penalty and I fully agree with him.

Sucks for Lovren and Croatia, still the correct call.

Just now, sidcow said:

Tripping someone in the box isn't a natural part of how the body functions. Jumping in the air means you have to raise your arms and stick elbows out.  It's inevitable that if someone jumps alongside you they may get an elbow. 

If they don't like it they should ban jumping for the ball.   It's a nonsense penalty to me. 

But you have to use your leg to make tackles right? If you completely miss the ball and take the player out it's still a pen. Keepers have to use their arms to catch a ball, but if they miss it and wrap a player up it's still a penalty.

If Lovren had won the ball in the air and still done it I don't think it was a pen. When the elbow making contact before the ball even arrives is what stops Shick winning a clean header I don't think there can be much argument.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

But you have to use your leg to make tackles right? If you completely miss the ball and take the player out it's still a pen. Keepers have to use their arms to catch a ball, but if they miss it and wrap a player up it's still a penalty.

If Lovren had won the ball in the air and still done it I don't think it was a pen. When the elbow making contact before the ball even arrives is what stops Shick winning a clean header I don't think there can be much argument.

Well if I was a pro footballer I would spend every corner waiting for my marker to jump then just ensure my face was in the vicinity of his elbow.  Easiest way to earn a penalty going of you don't mind a black eye or 2.

Just now, sidcow said:

Well if I was a pro footballer I would spend every corner waiting for my marker to jump then just ensure my face was in the vicinity of his elbow.  Easiest way to earn a penalty going of you don't mind a black eye or 2.

If you stood and waited for your marker to jump you wouldn't be anywhere near winning the ball so the elbow wouldn't have impacted your goalscoring opportunity. 

Anyway, I'm not after a debate. We clearly see it differently.

Another game where the quality in the final third has been poor, esepcially the shooting, so many tame shots straight at the keeper, or shots well wide or high. I've noticed the shooting from free kicks seems to be poor in this tournament as well, I'm starting to wonder if it's something to do with lighter balls being less easy to guide accurately as you would be able to with an heavier ball, although I don't if the balls are lighter than used to be or not.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Another game where the quality in the final third has been poor, esepcially the shooting, so many tame shots straight at the keeper, or shots well wide or high. I've noticed the shooting from free kicks seems to be poor in this tournament as well, I'm starting to wonder if it's something to do with lighter balls being less easy to guide accurately as you would be able to with an heavier ball, although I don't if the balls are lighter than used to be or not.

Same but for a different reason, in week 1 of the games I thought some of the keepers were absolutely belting the balls down the pitch 

But surely despite all the sponsorship deals and that nonsense the teams are training with the official ball?? 

And at the same time in same of thr games because of the lack of noise there's been a few times where I could hear players kicking the ball and thought it sounded heavy 

Â