Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

8 minutes ago, Giro said:

Nope we need to win the group

if we finish second, we may get an easier game out of Spain’s group but it won’t be at Wembley. Plus even if we win that we’re likely to get France in the quarters

Finish top and it’s more than likely we would get either Portugal or Germany. But it’ll be played at Wembley 

i dont understand the confusion at all, if you want to be European Champions you should beat the best. If you try avoid them then a. your a coward and  b. another team will sneak up on you. 

2018 England were apparently clever for losing to Belgium to avoid the good teams to the final, then when played Croatia some thought be a walkover

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

i dont understand the confusion at all, if you want to be European Champions you should beat the best. If you try avoid them then a. your a coward and  b. another team will sneak up on you. 

2018 England were apparently clever for losing to Belgium to avoid the good teams to the final, then when played Croatia some thought be a walkover

Agreed 

I just think England having the majority of their games at Wembley helps us massively. I think if we top the group the only game we play away is in rome for the quarters 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Scraped by Colombia and drew Sweden, unbelievably kind draw for England 3 years ago. It was great fun at the time but as far as a tournament performance goes ‘semi final’ is extremely flattering. Not clever, just weak.

You’re right, a team should be out to win every game and win it convincingly.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Scraped by Colombia and drew Sweden, unbelievably kind draw for England 3 years ago. It was great fun at the time but as far as a tournament performance goes ‘semi final’ is extremely flattering. Not clever, just weak.

You’re right, a team should be out to win every game and win it convincingly.

Indeed. And sadly, Southgate's been living off that ever since.

52 minutes ago, Giro said:

Agreed 

I just think England having the majority of their games at Wembley helps us massively. I think if we top the group the only game we play away is in rome for the quarters 

Yes, playing at Wembley is a huge advantage. I can't find it now, but the difference in our results at Wembley versus away from it, especially when playing big teams, is very substantial.

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, playing at Wembley is a huge advantage. I can't find it now, but the difference in our results at Wembley versus away from it, especially when playing big teams, is very substantial.

I don't disagree that playing at Wembley is an advantage but could a lot of that just be due to the fact that most of the games against the bigger teams at Wembley have been friendlies?

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Have England ever played a big team at the rebuilt Wembley in a real game. They rarely face similar teams in qualifying, even in nations league they beat Belgium that was it 

Just now, Zatman said:

Have England ever played a big team at the rebuilt Wembley in a real game. They rarely face similar teams in qualifying, even in nations league they beat Belgium that was it 

Well, I guess I was thinking of Belgium and friendlies mostly, but I think it's true for the kind of mid-tier teams that England do get drawn against (the Denmarks, Polands, Czechs etc) too.

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well, I guess I was thinking of Belgium and friendlies mostly, but I think it's true for the kind of mid-tier teams that England do get drawn against (the Denmarks, Polands, Czechs etc) too.

Was just looking at stats and england have lost 3 from 35 at home in all competitive games since Wembley reopened. Sounds impressive but lost 2 from 4 in Nations League which is maybe a fairer reflection as teams on a similar level. 

15 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes it would be more of an advantage if it was a full wembley like in 1966 and 1996

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

Was just looking at stats and england have lost 3 from 35 at home in all competitive games since Wembley reopened. Sounds impressive but lost 2 from 4 in Nations League which is maybe a fairer reflection as teams on a similar level. 

We havent lost a game at wembley in a major tournament though

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

We havent lost a game at wembley in a major tournament though

Thats a very small scope its arguably not even the same Wembley as 1996 when England as host won just 40 percent of the games 

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Thats a very small scope its arguably not even the same Wembley as 1996 when England as host won just 40 percent of the games 

Different wembley I know but that doesnt matter. I'll never forget the 4-1 against Holland. Our best displays in major tournaments occured tthere. Shame the current England manager cocked it up last time. hope he doesnt this time. 

21 hours ago, Zatman said:

It can work both ways. Portgual wouldn't have got close to winning in 2016 if they'd gone the Spain-Germany-France route that Italy got in the end.

Instead they had kinder second half of the draw and had built up enough of a brick wall to take on France in the final and do the job whereas wouldn't have worked that well in last round of 16.

Generally a bit like FA cup. Teams that win the trophy don't tend to get Man. City in the 3rd round.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

It can work both ways. Portgual wouldn't have got close to winning in 2016 if they'd gone the Spain-Germany-France route that Italy got in the end.

Instead they had kinder second half of the draw and had built up enough of a brick wall to take on France in the final and do the job whereas wouldn't have worked that well in last round of 16.

Generally a bit like FA cup. Teams that win the trophy don't tend to get Man. City in the 3rd round.

I expect France and England to win their groups so its going to be either Germany or Portugal in the last 16 in Rome unless common sense prevails and Italy play in Rome and England at Wembley.  Both tough matches but nothing to fear. Ronaldo was totally anonymous until the final few minutes in their game. 

36 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I expect France and England to win their groups so its going to be either Germany or Portugal in the last 16 in Rome unless common sense prevails and Italy play in Rome and England at Wembley.  Both tough matches but nothing to fear. Ronaldo was totally anonymous until the final few minutes in their game. 

They arent changing the venues though. Ronaldo at his poorest scored twice, Kane at his poorest didnt even have a shot

If we beat Scotland I wouldn't be surprised to see 11 changes made for the Czech game.

The funny thing is that if Grealish plays we will absolutely be winning that match and it'll probably be our best performance.

For that reason, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jack only off the bench.

I don’t know how many tickets Scotland have, but I do know every services from Carlisle down today had coaches of Scots in there. Lots of grown men in kilts wearing flags as capes.

• Like 1

Â