Jump to content

Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)


BOF
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, AndyM3000 said:

Rio Ferdinand doesn't half chat some shit

He’s a clown , remember watching a interview and him talking about being angry with Ben Foster for celebrating winning the league cup with Utd  and taking a moment to enjoy it (they had a CL final later that week)  came across as a massive word removed hasn’t got a humorous bone in his body.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


9 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I couldn't disagree more with the notion that a win automatically justifies the manager's decisions. I think it's an insane position to take. If we set up and play like that against any remotely capable team, we'll lose. So much attacking talent in the team and we couldn't get anything going at all.

 

 

There is an obvious rebuttal to that, even if I agree with you.

The team was selected based on the opposition. It worked. Different opposition, different team selection.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

There is an obvious rebuttal to that, even if I agree with you.

The team was selected based on the opposition. It worked. Different opposition, different team selection.

 

Exactly, I'm perfectly happy giving Southgate the benefit of the doubt at least until the Scotland game.  Hopefully we go all out to show them up as the tinpot nation they are!  I think Jack would love that game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Just now, Okonokos said:

Except it won't be. He has his favourites and that's that. Let's not pretend this was a Southgate tactical masterclass.

Hence Trippier at LB and Rashford at RW. Bizarre picks. Sterling's performance abject for the most part.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Okonokos said:

Except it won't be. He has his favourites and that's that. Let's not pretend this was a Southgate tactical masterclass.

At least let’s wait and see. 

With respect, only on villatalk can a win generate so much hate.

I’m not pretending we played well, but at least we’re going into the next game in control of the group, and not absolutely having to win.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

There is an obvious rebuttal to that, even if I agree with you.

The team was selected based on the opposition. It worked. Different opposition, different team selection.

 

I have 2 issues with that line of thinking

1) Southgate has been the manager for quite a while now, based on what i've seen I doubt his master plan involves a dramatically different XI and strategy.

2) If we have a preferred style and XI that is different from what we saw today, wouldn't it be better to get games into that team so that they gel? 3/4 teams go through from the group stage, it's very low risk. Building chemistry could be the difference between hoisting the trophy and a quarter finals exit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
11 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

BBC's post match analysis is so cringe. The over the top positiveness is nauseating. 

I had to turn it off, decent result, but the whole thing was way over the top.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I have 2 issues with that line of thinking

1) Southgate has been the manager for quite a while now, based on what i've seen I doubt his master plan involves a dramatically different XI and strategy.

2) If we have a preferred style and XI that is different from what we saw today, wouldn't it be better to get games into that team so that they gel? 3/4 teams go through from the group stage, it's very low risk. Building chemistry could be the difference between hoisting the trophy and a quarter finals exit.

Subs will play a massive part in the tournament though. If you only build chemistry in the starting 11, and we then have to deviate from it later, you are no better off. Rotation will feature throughout the tournament in every team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

There is an obvious rebuttal to that, even if I agree with you.

The team was selected based on the opposition. It worked. Different opposition, different team selection.

It could've easily gone against us, we created virtually nothing.  This could so easily been 0-0 but thankfully we nicked the win.  So yes it worked but I would argue inspite of the selection and tactics somewhat and Southgate was a little bit lucky.  Those amounts of chances could've easily resulted in no goals scored.  Great to get the result but Southgate and co need to improve their thought process if we are to progress against bigger teams in the knockout stages.

If this had been a Villa game, a lot on here would've been happy with the win but criticised the performance and Smith...seems very different with England which blows my mind a bit

Edited by nick76
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â