Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Neither of those things have any relevance to the point I was making or the original post I was responding to.

Don’t think I agree. A precociously talented 21 year old won’t have the same stats over a season but over 3-6 games in a tournament you can make a clear case to have them in for those moments of magic. Same as I might have had Grealish in age 21 (when he was largely an inconsistent sub) rather than Lallana because his ceiling and potential gamechanging moments were higher. Sorry for not explaining in more depth.

On 29/05/2021 at 08:29, villa4europe said:

Yep just the 4

Anwar didn't make the Dutch cut and after that we don't have many Europeans, we have sanson and engels, then it's south Americans and Africans 

Just realised Kalinic in the Croatia squad is of course still on our books as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont think he made the squad

Unless Hajduk Split have another Lovre Kalinic as a goalkeeper (which wouldn’t actually surprise me! Could be a very common name in Croatia for all I know!) he’s in the squad. Likely second choice.

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

Unless Hajduk Split have another Lovre Kalinic as a goalkeeper (which wouldn’t actually surprise me! Could be a very common name in Croatia for all I know!) he’s in the squad. Likely second choice.

Cool, i saw a squad yesterday and the Luton keeper was in instead of Kalinic which is worrying enough. Good for him though

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Cool, i saw a squad yesterday and the Luton keeper was in instead of Kalinic which is worrying enough. Good for him though

It’s the two of them and then the guy who I think is probably going to be first choice. Think the Luton chap is third choice. Kalinic seems to have played regularly for Hajduk Split since going there and they ended the season unbeaten in quite a few so hopefully he has form and confidence back and either comes back as a solid understudy or earns himself a move. If nothing else I’m guessing they’ll take him back on loan again. 

11 hours ago, PaulC said:

Players develop at different ages. Look at Vardy, his best years came between 28 and 34. Dele Ali he was a great talent at 19/20, now look at him. 

I would like to enforce a Godwinesque Law here.

When anyone is making a point about a player, and uses Vardy as an example that backs up their point, it should be mandatory that a second example is offered, because Vardy is such a complete outlier. 

It is like me saying that everyone in my apartment block should invest all their money in doing the lotto because a guy in an apartment block nearby won it a few years ago. You may call the requirement to 'offer a second non-Vardy example', the Law of YLN. Thank you

30 minutes ago, YLN said:

When anyone is making a point about a player, and uses Vardy as an example that backs up their point, it should be mandatory that a second example is offered, because Vardy is such a complete outlier. 

It is like me saying that everyone in my apartment block should invest all their money in doing the lotto because a guy in an apartment block nearby won it a few years ago. You may call the requirement to 'offer a second non-Vardy example', the Law of YLN. Thank you

Ian Wright maybe Kevin Phillips. If desperate can Throw you a Ricky Lambert or Grant Holt. 

Vardy is a rarity but its not uncommon

Edited by Zatman

15 hours ago, YLN said:

Ok Peter Withe

3 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Some rumours about that Greenwood and Watkins miss out. Not really surprising. 

TAA and JWP too it seems.

I reckon Ramsdale and two of the centre backs will complete the exodus. Most likely White and then one of Godfrey, Coady and Mings.

• Like 1

Just did a little dive into the RB situation for England for the fun of it to see all the selection problems that Gareth has to face. 

In the Premier League this season 13 out of 20 teams had English right backs whom were starters (including Kyle Walker who has played around the back).  Obviously some of them aren't going to be international quality, but having a position that full of talent without even looking at Max Aarons and Tripper. 

If James Justin hadn't done his ACL, he probably would've been in the squad conversation as well

Just now, Villaphan04 said:

Just did a little dive into the RB situation for England for the fun of it to see all the selection problems that Gareth has to face. 

In the Premier League this season 13 out of 20 teams had English right backs whom were starters (including Kyle Walker who has played around the back).  Obviously some of them aren't going to be international quality, but having a position that full of talent without even looking at Max Aarons and Tripper. 

If James Justin hadn't done his ACL, he probably would've been in the squad conversation as well

A generation inspired by Gary Neville. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

TAA and JWP too it seems.

I reckon Ramsdale and two of the centre backs will complete the exodus. Most likely White and then one of Godfrey, Coady and Mings.

Yes - surely Godfrey, since he hasn't been capped before.

For all the media fuss about this, these look to be exactly the players you would have predicted would be dropped.

You just know Southgate's going to start all of Maguire, Henderson, Sterling and Rashford for Croatia isn't he?

Learnt nothing from previous tournaments of starting players on reputation (considering how bad Rashford and Sterling have been since Jan) and rushing back injured players.I can understand gamble with Maguire but Henderson not played since early Feb.

Pretty certain the England 11 that starts first game will be completely different for the final game, whenever that is.

Â