Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

3 minutes ago, MCU said:

If Grealish had been playing alongside Sterling at Man City last season there would be no doubt who would be starting. 

Will know for sure come 1pm but I read somewhere else yesterday that Sterling would be starting.

To be fair foden was starting alongside sterling and I'm not convinced he'll get the nod either... 

This isnt a grealish or man City agenda, it is a tactical choice

Its just not the tactics we should be playing, we're better than that if we want to be 

I can see the argument for having one of Rashford or Sterling for their pace.

I do think you could push Mount further back into the middle with rice and make room for Foden, Grealish and Rashford/Sterling in behind Kane but Southgate is Southgate so he’s never going to do that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tom_avfc said:

I can see the argument for having one of Rashford or Sterling for their pace.

I do think you could push Mount further back into the middle with rice and make room for Foden, Grealish and Rashford/Sterling in behind Kane but Southgate is Southgate so he’s never going to do that.

What good is pace when we don't pass forwards and you can't trap a bag of cement.

• Haha 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

To be fair foden was starting alongside sterling and I'm not convinced he'll get the nod either... 

This isnt a grealish or man City agenda, it is a tactical choice

Its just not the tactics we should be playing, we're better than that if we want to be 

The journo predicted the front 4 of Foden, Sterling, Mount and Kane.

You touched on it yesterday with how Belgium and Italy played good tactics. People seem to think we need to play Sterling or Rashford for pace. What a load of old nonsense… if that’s the case why didn’t Gabby get more games. 

Just now, MCU said:

The journo predicted the front 4 of Foden, Sterling, Mount and Kane.

You touched on it yesterday with how Belgium and Italy played good tactics. People seem to think we need to play Sterling or Rashford for pace. What a load of old nonsense… if that’s the case why didn’t Gabby get more games. 

I'd be ok with that front 4 of I'm honest depending on the shape and how far up he pushes mount 

More worried about attacking intent and if its 2 in the middle with 3 off kane or 3+2

Would rather we sorted our shape out first then added grealish... Shit negative tactics and the whole team could look poor, Jack included 

• Like 1

I actually think Grealish should start from purely tactical reasons.

The Croatians are technically and possession wise very very good. I'd argue better than England, so by having Grealish in there I think it's easier to maintain possession more than you would otherwise.

Will check the post match thread here tonight with interest.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

Just now, villan-scott said:

Grealish off the bench to stake his claim. TBH I expected this from Southgate. 

Trippier are LB is madness tho when we have 2 very capable left backs in the squad. 

Just trying to justify the ‘versatility’ of having extra right backs in the squad.

So once again the tactic is to play it safe and have Sterling and Kane fall down as much as possible in the box?

Croatia are well past their prime by now. England should have enough about them to win regardless of formation and selection.

16 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I actually think Grealish should start from purely tactical reasons.

The Croatians are technically and possession wise very very good. I'd argue better than England, so by having Grealish in there I think it's easier to maintain possession more than you would otherwise.

Will check the post match thread here tonight with interest.

100% agree

But expect Croatia to have around 55% possession or more if Southgate goes with sterling and tries the pacey winger stuff

25 minutes ago, Genie said:

Southgate has convinced himself he needs to think outside of the box and not pick the side that’s staring him in the face.

the GUardiola effect

• Like 1

Personally I don't get this idea that England need vast amounts of pace in the team. If anything in the games played, not one team has played with a high line to allow runners in behind the back line. If anything teams are going to sit and creativity and guile are the primary requirements for forward lines.  

• Like 1

I was really excited for the game today, now I’m expecting the same tired and boring Safegateball. The man has a real opportunity to attack this tournament with a young and vibrant team. It’s what we all want, the team that Jose picked is pretty much what everyone I know wants to see. 

Assuming the mooted team is correct, I wonder how Shaw and Chilwell feel today? 

• Like 1

Â