Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

27 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Thats shocking but its time for that to change. We've had some terrible international managers since Terry Venables took us to the semi's in 96 

We've got a shocking manager now unfortunately. I really hope he proves me wrong but I won't be holding my breath

4 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Why have I never seen the Czech Republic referred to as Czechia before today?

They (their Government I assume) wanted a more 'catchy' name for branding. Changed in 2016, but hasn't really caught on... yet. 

I guess it makes sense. We don't refer to the French Republic, Slovak Republic or People's Republic of China that often. 

6 hours ago, BOF said:

18/06 @ 20:00 - England  v Scotland (Wembley)

That game can **** off now.

Was looking forward to going to that in 'normal times'. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

We've got a shocking manager now unfortunately. I really hope he proves me wrong but I won't be holding my breath

Yes more expectation on him now than in the world cup. We are expected to get to the semis at least 

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

I haven't looked at who we could get in the draws yet after the group stages, but I think we'll get to the semis. Southgate is too cautious at times, but we had a very solid world cup effort last time around, he's not done anything particularly badly so far, so whilst it may be a bit uninspiring ( although no Dier, maybe he's learning- **** yeah!!! ) we have enough quality to go far regardless. 

I will bang a fairly lonely drum for 'Southgate gets too much criticism' for what he's done anyway. 

You should... 

If we win the group we get 2nd place from the group with France, Portugal and Germany 

Safe to say I disagree... Southgate is an absolute chancer, his brand of football is terrible and he has a great set of players, the world cup when the dust settled was kick and rush with great set pieces, great weather and lots of beer... He got lucky, if we go far in this tournament it will be in spite of him not because of him 

• Like 1

Actually think Czechoslovakia (😉) will be England's hardest group game.

Croatia not the force they were in the world cup (England took 4 points off them in the nations league straight after so don't see a mental block there) and lost a few more to retirement and while it will be a fun battle in midfield v Scotland I'd be amazed if England don't score 3 goals v the backline they have.

Czechs will be pretty solid and likes of Soucek can cause issues from set pieces. At worst England will be getting 7 points so winning the group very comfortably imo.

However this is where it gets all 2018 as I think England could win the group and get a worse opponent than finishing 2nd. Basically got to avoid France at all costs in round of 16, Germany I think is very beatable for England in this tournament if they can get past the mental issues (easier said than done) and Portugal 50/50 game that would probably go to penalties.

If Southgate gets a SF here he'll have done much better than 2018 but that should be the target now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

If we win the group which we will I assume we will play our last 16 game at Wembley so thats a huge advantage so i'm not sure it matters who we play. 

Really can't see England beating France, they are just better in every area for me so need to avoid them for as long as possible as I expect them in the final.

I do think England have a shot against everyone else but think it would be worse much up v Italy who aren't known as much due to not being in a tournament for 5 years but have some excellent young players and are always tricky to score past in KO stage compared to Germany and Spain who are both the weakest they've been for over a decade.

Love the euros anyway, can even accept it being 24 teams now given the impact likes of Wales and Iceland made at the last one so will be a fun few weeks.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Really can't see England beating France, they are just better in every area for me so need to avoid them for as long as possible as I expect them in the final.

I do think England have a shot against everyone else but think it would be worse much up v Italy who aren't known as much due to not being in a tournament for 5 years but have some excellent young players and are always tricky to score past in KO stage compared to Germany and Spain who are both the weakest they've been for over a decade.

Love the euros anyway, can even accept it being 24 teams now given the impact likes of Wales and Iceland made at the last one so will be a fun few weeks.

I admit on paper they are the strongest team which is why they are marginal bookies favourites with England second favourites but in a one off game its who produces on the day. Villa just beat Chelsea who are better than us. Better to avoid them I agree. 

I think it's simple. If Southgate plays Jack every game, we win the tournament.

Jack completely changes the dynamics of a game. If villa had better players we could exploit it more. With England they'll have a field day.

• Like 3

Anyone else having nightmares of Mcginn absolutely snapping Grealish in half, then running away calling him a f***ING diving c*** whilst shaking his fist at a prone Grealish lying on the floor? 

15 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Anyone else having nightmares of Mcginn absolutely snapping Grealish in half, then running away calling him a f***ING diving c*** whilst shaking his fist at a prone Grealish lying on the floor? 

Well I wasn't...

1 hour ago, pas5898 said:

Ricky Bobby GIF by memecandy

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

I think it's simple. If Southgate plays Jack every game, we win the tournament.

Jack completely changes the dynamics of a game. If villa had better players we could exploit it more. With England they'll have a field day.

Don't think he gets into the team now. Foden is a once in a generation talent that has to start.

Mount will have that position in the middle and somebody direct like Sancho is important.

And that's before the fact he's coming off a big injury too.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

Don't think he gets into the team now. Foden is a once in a generation talent that has to start.

Mount will have that position in the middle and somebody direct like Sancho is important.

And that's before the fact he's coming off a big injury too.

Yeah I think the same

You can make a good argument for foden being the most exciting young talent at the whole tournament 

Mount as a CM is one of our most important players (mainly due to Phillips and Rice being a bad combo) 

You missed out sterling has experience that Southgate will rate highly 

It'll be hard for Jack to get game time and the little he does get he's going to have to pull out all the stops and hope that he's coming on because someone else looks shit 

I'll be amazed if he starts vs Croatia 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah I think the same

You can make a good argument for foden being the most exciting young talent at the whole tournament 

Mount as a CM is one of our most important players (mainly due to Phillips and Rice being a bad combo) 

You missed out sterling has experience that Southgate will rate highly 

It'll be hard for Jack to get game time and the little he does get he's going to have to pull out all the stops and hope that he's coming on because someone else looks shit 

I'll be amazed if he starts vs Croatia 

I'd hope he's above Sterling, for me Sterling would be on the edges of a call up he's been that poor this season. Any reference to his numbers being good need to come with a * that they've been done at City. Nathan Redmond would put up decent numbers in that team.

1 hour ago, Rino8 said:

I'd hope he's above Sterling, for me Sterling would be on the edges of a call up he's been that poor this season. Any reference to his numbers being good need to come with a * that they've been done at City. Nathan Redmond would put up decent numbers in that team.

For me Sterling wouldnt go, he has 2 goals in 4 months and started 1 of City Champions League games since Christmas. Is clearly dropped down the pecking order

On Grealish/Foden/Mount they can play together but not with this manager, also I think Foden might be a better impact sub as playing for England is not the same quality as playing for City

19 hours ago, Zatman said:

Venables wasnt really that great for England either, he managed 5 competitive games 2and won. Then was assistant last time England didn't qualify for a tournament 

The Harry Redknapp of his time 

Aint that the truth! Read 'Broken Dreams' by Tom bower regards corruption in the game, Venables is the only person to get two chapters about themselves. Harry saw Tel as a mentor. Honorable mentions to our own John Gregory as well.

Â