Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

England’s winger problem is a Kane problem for me.

Stop Kane dropping off and you don’t need “fast” wingers to solve the problem of then having no one up front.

Then play them if you want but as is you have to play them because you let a world class goal scorer drop into midfield instead.

In a 4231 Kane is sat next to the number 10 and in 433 he’s at number 10 with no one upfront.

• Like 1

i dont think its the end of the world if jack doesnt start if he did and the team didnt start well he would get the blame and we may not see him as much going forward at least this way when we look a shambles jack can come on and save the day and make southgate look like an even bigger clown

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Personally I don't get this idea that England need vast amounts of pace in the team. If anything in the games played, not one team has played with a high line to allow runners in behind the back line. If anything teams are going to sit and creativity and guile are the primary requirements for forward lines.  

Yep, I don’t think we’ll see many high lines at all, certainly not in the group stages. All any team needs to do is apply a low block and we’ll look clueless without Jack’s magic to open them up. I know that because we’ve seen it time and time again under Southgate. 

I think with a front 4 of sterling mount foden and Kane if everything clicks and even if sterling gets a 6/10 performance its good enough to score 3 or 4 goals, that's a quality attack 

If we play with the attacking intent 

6 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Personally I don't get this idea that England need vast amounts of pace in the team. If anything in the games played, not one team has played with a high line to allow runners in behind the back line. If anything teams are going to sit and creativity and guile are the primary requirements for forward lines.  

Italy played a high line, Denmark did as well in 1st half

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I think with a front 4 of sterling mount foden and Kane if everything clicks and even if sterling gets a 6/10 performance its good enough to score 3 or 4 goals, that's a quality attack 

If we play with the attacking intent 

I think that’s the biggest issue isn’t, and I know you’re implying that. The personnel isn’t such an issue as they’re good players, but it will likely be disjointed. 

Kane needs to try and remain the focal point and not drop so deep. 

• Like 1

I was expecting Jack not to start, that’s Southgate all over. 
Two holding midfielders is annoying, but again expected. 
But Trippier at LB, makes no sense. Is he doing this purely off watching Italy and thought a right footed lb worked for them so we’ll do the same 

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Trippier on the left is even more stupid than grealish not starting.

Southgate shouldn't have lasted this long in the job.

Watch Mings get scapegoated for the defensive failings when Southgate refuses to play a natural left back - thus putting more pressure on him. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Italy played a high line, Denmark did as well in 1st half

Fair enough.....But Denmark were dominating Finland until the incident yesterday which is why they camped in the Finnish half. Turkey were abysmal and couldn't hold the ball for any length of time which is why Italy could push on. Teams are not going to play a high line v's England. They will sit. Croatia, Scotland, Czech's, no way do they play a high line. 

• Like 1

I don't have much faith in Southgate's abilities as a manger, but even I'm still disappointed in that line-up. Phillips being in the starting 11 also surprises me. Not to surprised by Grealish given Southgate's past history in choosing him but the line-up feels lacking.

8 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

I don't have much faith in Southgate's abilities as a manger, but even I'm still disappointed in that line-up. Phillips being in the starting 11 also surprises me. Not to surprised by Grealish given Southgate's past history in choosing him but the line-up feels lacking.

Yeah as much as everyone is saying theres a case that sterling starts his tournament but grealish finishes it I would also be very surprised if that isn't the case with Phillips, there is Henderson and Bellingham waiting to take his place 

Not knocking Phillips I think he's alright, just don't think him and rice work together 

Â