Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

22 minutes ago, tinker said:

Norwich seem very willing to let him go and the right price. I do wonder who they have lined up to replace him .

Probably Grealish, seeing as we’re rivals who will be fighting relegation together 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I can see why they would think that too. Just like when we were promoted, I was only worried about Grealish moving to an "Elite" club. The idea that he would have moved to an Everton just didn't seem feasible to me. 

So I get why they would feel that way and they have every right to imo. For me this whole transfer depends on whether Smith/Purslow/Whoever can sell the vision of what this club is trying to achieve to Buendia. It's not a sure thing by any stretch imo. 

My thoughts exactly!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

So I get why they would feel that way and they have every right to imo. For me this whole transfer depends on whether Smith/Purslow/Whoever can sell the vision of what this club is trying to achieve to Buendia. It's not a sure thing by any stretch imo. 

I think the whole problem is this, we are all so very Villa biased but for an outsider we may be seen very differently.

A big club that has been in the mire for ten years at least.  Others won’t really know about our owners apart from knowing they have some money.  We will look like a one player team like Zaha at Palace.  Season just gone may our ceiling in placing.  Most will think Jack will be leaving this summer or next.  From the outside we may not look as attractive as we think.

Selling our vision, well Everton would’ve had the same before Carlo left, Arsenal second half of resurgence under Arteta, Villalad21 favourite club has the great Bielsa...so even our competitors have visions....so smith and co have a big sell job to do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tinker said:

Norwich seem very willing to let him go and the right price. I do wonder who they have lined up to replace him .

We should probably have a look at the mystery player too, if we have learned anything from Brentford. lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We should probably have a look at the mystery player too, if we have learned anything from Brentford. lol

If only we had someone like Rob Mackenzie

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Fair play, totally forgot about him.

He unearthed some real gems for Leicester didn't he?

Kante and Mahrez weren’t bad picks.

Edit: think he also brought Son to Spurs 

Edited by Awol
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Google says you're correct.

Although there’s only been one link so far, his record for finding gems is what got me excited about Pape Sarr at Metz. That’s got Mackenzie bargain buy written all over it. 

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I think the whole problem is this, we are all so very Villa biased but for an outsider we may be seen very differently.

A big club that has been in the mire for ten years at least.  Others won’t really know about our owners apart from knowing they have some money.  We will look like a one player team like Zaha at Palace.  Season just gone may our ceiling in placing.  Most will think Jack will be leaving this summer or next.  From the outside we may not look as attractive as we think.

Selling our vision, well Everton would’ve had the same before Carlo left, Arsenal second half of resurgence under Arteta, Villalad21 favourite club has the great Bielsa...so even our competitors have visions....so smith and co have a big sell job to do.

I think that Purslow is probably the one doing the selling in terms of the vision of the club and the owners.  It is a tougher ask having finished 11th than it would have been had we finished above Everton and / or Leeds.  But we do have one of the most talked about players in the division and some memorable results against the "Super" 6.  I am sure that Everton will feel that they are in a better place than us - but with Ancelotti off, many of their fans (I have a couple of mates who support them and so get several Everton posts hitting my FB feed) are talking about how much dead wood they need to clear out of their squad.  Whilst we think we are a negative group of fans - very few of us would describe many of our players as "dead wood".  We're mainly talking about upgrades - which just seems more "positive" somehow.  I genuinely think that if Purslow gets in front of someone then he has a great "vision" to sell both in terms of the club but also the opportunity for the player.  He just seems like a very smooth operator who doesn't over-sell and is 100% convinced by what he is saying.  Or just get Prince William down for another tour of the training facilities when the potential transfers are looking around!!

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Mahrez from Ligue 2. Kanté for 5 million

Mahrez was spotted by Steve Walsh, Kante was spotted by another of our scouts called David Mills

Both times they were at games to watch someone else

3 minutes ago, Fox1884 said:

Mahrez was spotted by Steve Walsh, Kante was spotted by another of our scouts called David Mills

I think who ‘spots’ a player is an overdone thing... every player has been seen and scouts recommend players constantly (I’ve known a few Villa scouts over the years). It’s who goes back to the owners/manager with a recommendation that this is the player to sign that matters. (No idea if that was Mackenzie or not, just saying the ‘who spots them’ isn’t often the key thing unless it’s a Dwight Yorke on a Caribbean beach story!). Still I’m not trying to tell you about Leicester’s transfer business which has been absolutely incredible for quite a while now so fair play. 

4 minutes ago, Fox1884 said:

Cheers. While blowing up the Mackenzie scouting god theory, it shows the importance of scouting with the Mark 1 eyeball and not allowing data analytics to take over completely. 

11 minutes ago, Fox1884 said:

Was Walsh the one who went to Everton in some director of football type role and totally shit the bed?

39 minutes ago, allani said:

I think that Purslow is probably the one doing the selling in terms of the vision of the club and the owners.  It is a tougher ask having finished 11th than it would have been had we finished above Everton and / or Leeds.  But we do have one of the most talked about players in the division and some memorable results against the "Super" 6.  I am sure that Everton will feel that they are in a better place than us - but with Ancelotti off, many of their fans (I have a couple of mates who support them and so get several Everton posts hitting my FB feed) are talking about how much dead wood they need to clear out of their squad.  Whilst we think we are a negative group of fans - very few of us would describe many of our players as "dead wood".  We're mainly talking about upgrades - which just seems more "positive" somehow.  I genuinely think that if Purslow gets in front of someone then he has a great "vision" to sell both in terms of the club but also the opportunity for the player.  He just seems like a very smooth operator who doesn't over-sell and is 100% convinced by what he is saying.  Or just get Prince William down for another tour of the training facilities when the potential transfers are looking around!!

Purslow is certainly more convincing and credible than Keith Wyness ever was. Under him we were a clueless, rapidly failing football club, mired in debt and living in the past. Now we’re a modern progressive club rapidly moving forward on and off the pitch. 

The job of selling Aston Villa to potential recruits is now done by a modern forward thinking recruitment team who answer to a smart modern CEO, who in turn answer to highly successful, wealthy  and extremely ambitious owners. 

Not so long ago we had Steve Bruce’s little black book, fat Keith leering at recruits in his crumpled suit and a skint Chinese chancer. 

If we want Buendia or similarly coveted players now, our chances are considerably higher than they have been for a long time. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Was Walsh the one who went to Everton in some director of football type role and totally shit the bed?

Yeah I think they put a bit more pressure on him than was needed, with us he was head of recruitment and scouting which he was brilliant at

Over in USA now doing some advisory role for an MLS team

Â